Deus 2 Beta Introduction Video

Jeff McClendon

Second video by Gary Blackwell of the Deus ll Beta

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Deus 2 Beta Introduction Video

Their Deep HC mode is interesting. 

Interesting that Gary said they are working on more tone options that will be released later for the D2.  They're putting a lot of thought and effort into the audio characteristics and adjustability.   

20 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Their Deep HC mode is interesting. 

Interesting that Gary said they are working on more tone options that will be released later for the D2.  They're putting a lot of thought and effort into the audio characteristics and adjustability.   

Yep, some people including me, just can't stand the original PWM tones on the Deus 1. I do fairly well with simple VCO, but the PWM Deus tones drive me nuts. I love to detect with my Deus Lite, but I usually am using its Pitch mode or single tone VCO. Full tones PWM I can handle for a few minutes at a time. Otherwise, the 3 to 5 tone options.....no way.

I have several detecting buddies that use the Deus 1 for coin and jewelry hunting in areas that are not full of aluminum trash. They do very well. They often ask me why I use the Equinox instead of my Deus and I tell them I can't stand the Deus audio.......

Anything XP can do to offer more audio options like the Deus 2 Square wave audio will be welcome news to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting video, seems one doozy of a detector.  I think I'd get lost in the settings for a bit until I got used to it.   He's obviously been using it a while he never fumbles around in the menus 🙂

My question though is at 9 minutes 40 seconds he talks about the ground grab and how important it is to use it with the multi frequency mode, and how its recommended you ground grab each time before using multi frequency, that's vastly different to the competitor that in most cases you never need to worry about ground balance and only do it out of habit with other detectors, the competitions entry level doesn't even have a way to ground balance as the multi frequency mode just handles so many types of ground without it. 

He then goes on to say in some cases when you ground balance you can add a certain shock value to the coil making it hyper sensitive so they had to add another feature called ground stabilizer to combat that problem.   This seems like the multi frequency isn't capable of handling ground as easy as the competitors version or am I reading into that wrong?

At 10 minutes and 45 seconds he brings it up again when discussing the stabilizer setting, and it's there to try stop the coil being knock sensitive.

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

He talks about the ground grab and how important it is to use it with the multi frequency mode, and how its recommended you ground grab each time before using multi frequency, that's vastly different to the competitor that in most cases you never need to worry about ground balance and only do it out of habit with other detectors,...

How much does that apply to ground that contains moderate to significant mineralization?  I realize we are on the XP forum so discussing the ML Equinox's characteristics is inappropriate.  Let's move this discussion to the proper place.  I'll start a thread now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, phrunt said:

Interesting video, seems one doozy of a detector.  I think I'd get lost in the settings for a bit until I got used to it.   He's obviously been using it a while he never fumbles around in the menus 🙂

My question though is at 9 minutes 40 seconds he talks about the ground grab and how important it is to use it with the multi frequency mode, and how its recommended you ground grab each time before using multi frequency, that's vastly different to the competitor that in most cases you never need to worry about ground balance and only do it out of habit with other detectors, the competitions entry level doesn't even have a way to ground balance as the multi frequency mode just handles so many types of ground without it. 

He then goes on to say in some cases when you ground balance you can add a certain shock value to the coil making it hyper sensitive so they had to add another feature called ground stabilizer to combat that problem.   This seems like the multi frequency isn't capable of handling ground as easy as the competitors version or am I reading into that wrong?

At 10 minutes and 45 seconds he brings it up again when discussing the stabilizer setting, and it's there to try stop the coil being knock sensitive.

My take is that it is more of a "motherhood" reminder of the IMPORTANCE of ground balancing any machine, especially "audio centric" platforms such as Deus 1 and 2, regardless of whether it is SMF.  I think people tend to get lazy, don't do it and then get frustrated with lingering ground noise that they mistake for instability (i.e., too high of a sensitivity setting) so he is overemphasizing it.  In my experience with Deus 1, the one-touch auto ground grab feature (which only was available with the Gold Field mode) was top notch and quickly quieted the machine down if it became imbalanced.  XP first implemented ground grab on all modes in Orx and it worked well. I am looking forward to having that feature on Deus 2 and can only imagine that in multi it will work better or at least as good as it did on Deus 1 or Orx.  The ground stabilizer function (only on "inland" FMF programs) appears to be a great adjustment to combat coil bump sensitivity associated with balancing non-neutral ground but it comes at a price as all filters do, so the user has to understand the tradeoffs in target sensitivity if the feature is invoked. Those are spelled out in the manual on p. 24.

Note that on D2, ground grab is implemented by a long press on the pinpoint button while pumping, similar to convenient trigger switch grabs on some other detectors.  This is slightly more accessible than on Nox, for example, where you have to pop into the settings menu, navigate to the ground balance section if you are not already there, and then pump.  It is a much quicker process and basically obviates the need for tracking GB in highly variable ground (along with the attendant drawbacks of using tracking GB which can affect weak target sensitivity or target signal canceling on target sweeps).

That's my take, anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1