Garrett 24k Search Coils Question

GotAU?

Are GMX and 24K coils interchangeable? A buddy of mine is looking for a 6 inch GMXcoil but they are getting rare and expensive used compared to the 24K Coils.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GotAU? said:

Are GMX and 24K coils interchangeable? A buddy of mine is looking for a 6 inch GMXcoil but they are getting rare and expensive used compared to the 24K Coils.

Yes. Whites GMX is the heavier, waterproofed version of the Whites/Garrett 24K. The coils are inerchangeable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It can only be said so many times - the 24K and White's GMX are the same detector in different housings, and use the same coils, just different labels and decals. As far as I know, these are all the compatible coils currently out there for the 24K... if you can find them. NEL is reportedly working on aftermarket coils, and I would not be surprised to see other offerings from Garrett also.

whites-search-coils-goldmaster-24k-garrett-compatible.jpg

AFA5BE92-B6C8-48B9-A3DD-D255D980021D.jpeg
6” concentric for White’s GMX Sport - compatible with 24K models

The new Garrett 6x10 DD coil is black, while the original White's version above was white.

6x10-dd-search-coil-garrett-goldmaster-24k.jpg
Garrett 6" x 10" DD coil for Goldmaster 24K

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2021 at 2:14 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

It can only be said so many times - the 24K and White's GMX are the same detector in different housings, and use the same coils, just different labels and decals. As far as I know, these are all the compatible coils currently out there for the 24K... if you can find them. NEL is reportedly working on aftermarket coils, and I would not be surprised to see other offerings from Garrett also.

Thank you for your answer, really appreciate the time!

• Like 2

Unless you absolutely have to have another coil right now.....I would wait for the aftermarket coils from Nel. The Whites coils were handmade and from my experience, very inconsistent quality wise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For a comparison of White's original 4 coils for the Goldmaster 24k and GMX, see the Spud Diggers video entitled "White's GMX and 24k - ALL 4 coils tested" on YouTube. INMHO somebody needs to release a 10" round concentric. Just sayin'. HH Jim

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I really like the Whites 6" Concentric coil, although the standard 10x6" Garrett coil is very good also, no bump sensitivity on either for me.  Unfortunately for the 24k it doesn't get much discussion as not much needs said, it just works.  It's so simple to use it's not much different to the easiest to use completely auto VLF, only it has more control settings for when and if you do need them.

I really hope Nel follows though making coils for it though, they're taking longer than they initially said, I guess that's the world we live in now. 

It will be interesting which coils Garrett comes out with for it, hopefully a 6" concentric also to replace the Whites version,  I'd likely buy the lot including the new 6", I've always been happy with the build quality and performance of Garrett coils on my other detectors and if the 10x6" is anything to go by any future coils they make for it will be good.

So a GMT may also use GMX coils as well? Asking for a friend… thanks!