Roatan Beaches?(Back from Roatan)

I have found the usual conflicting info that you find for Latin American countries.  Any one have direct knowledge or experience metal detecting beaches in Belize or Roatan?  I did find someone who was selling a pair of old dive detectors that were in the house he purchased in Belize, but who knows if they just used them off shore.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Belize Or Roatan Beaches?

Belize is a good place to hunt, but you need to stay close to the main areas where the tourists are. If you get to far away you really need a body guard to keep you safe. My uncle has told me about the area there and say that a lot of tourists loose a lot of rings in the beach waters there.

Good luck

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Belize is a good place to hunt, but you need to stay close to the main areas where the tourists are. If you get to far away you really need a body guard to keep you safe. My uncle has told me about the area there and say that a lot of tourists loose a lot of rings in the beach waters there.

Good luck

Thank you.  Didnt think too much about not wondering too far from the main areas.  Probably more luck in those areas anyways.  I will report back in a few weeks!

• Like 1

Don't know where you are going there from, but if its the US, always check State Department travel warnings when you plan to leave the US. I've been a few places in the world and never had a problem but here is a location specific link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/belizetravel-advisory.html

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Roatan Beaches?(Back from Roatan)

Back from Roatan.  Nice to get to 80 degree weather and 80 degree water.  I started a lot with the Nox but grew tired of bottle caps and can tabs.  I was mostly working the shore to waist deep.  Lots of foil and the corroded bottle caps read anywhere from a 5-15 and not always with an iron grunt.  After a few days of no luck, I took the Excal out to work the reef area.  I did not know that Roatan has the second largest reef until this trip.  I worked mostly the openings that had a sandy or slightly rocky bottom.  That is when I hit my first ring and then a second one about 20 minutes later.  I pegged them both for junk rings, but it turned out they are both sterling Pandora rings(thin not that expensive but silver none the less).  4.3 grams for both.

A really corroded ring that I havent been able to get clean.  It weighs 4.9 grams but I cant figure out what it is.  

I could only work about and hour or two each day without the wife giving me a hard time for deserting the family.  But, once I got the taste of those rings, I pushed the limits the best I could.  I found what I thought was a gold ring the next day, but it doesnt have any markings and it leaves a grey streak on the back side of the toilet lid, only weighs 3.3 grams.  I found what appears to be a corroded fishing spear, a name tag, a half of a scissor, and a few other fun things, but I finally scored with 2 days left.  A hefty gold and platinum ring!  My first official gold ring and platinum both in one(not sure if it counts since it is a two in one).  It weighs out at 13.2 grams and is marked FG 18k PLAT 950. Frederick Goldman 

Most of the good stuff was between 5 and 10 feet deep, with the FG ring at about 8 feet deep and 10" in the rocky sand.  I was in an opening in the reef that was maybe 8'x15' long and I grid it 3 times before I got a signal.  The reason I would grid these areas is because there werent very many targets and the few were better targets then the closer to shore trashy areas.  I imagine if I were there a week and could get in 8 to 10 hours, I would have good luck in the closer trashy areas but didnt have the time.  

Hope you all enjoy seeing the finds!

IMG-0356.jpg

IMG-0357.jpg

IMG-0358.jpg

IMG-0359.jpg

IMG-0360.jpg

IMG-0361.jpg

• Like 8
  • Oh my! 3

Great finds! Love all the rings!

1 hour ago, sevastras said:

Most of the good stuff was between 5 and 10 feet deep, with the FG ring at about 8 feet deep and 10" in the rocky sand.

Did you use the Excal for these finds? your Equinox would've handled these depths and given you target id.. 😃 

2 hours ago, sevastras said:

Back from Roatan.  Nice to get to 80 degree weather and 80 degree water.  I started a lot with the Nox but grew tired of bottle caps and can tabs.  I was mostly working the shore to waist deep.  Lots of foil and the corroded bottle caps read anywhere from a 5-15 and not always with an iron grunt.  After a few days of no luck, I took the Excal out to work the reef area.  I did not know that Roatan has the second largest reef until this trip.  I worked mostly the openings that had a sandy or slightly rocky bottom.  That is when I hit my first ring and then a second one about 20 minutes later.  I pegged them both for junk rings, but it turned out they are both sterling Pandora rings(thin not that expensive but silver none the less).  4.3 grams for both.

A really corroded ring that I havent been able to get clean.  It weighs 4.9 grams but I cant figure out what it is.  

I could only work about and hour or two each day without the wife giving me a hard time for deserting the family.  But, once I got the taste of those rings, I pushed the limits the best I could.  I found what I thought was a gold ring the next day, but it doesnt have any markings and it leaves a grey streak on the back side of the toilet lid, only weighs 3.3 grams.  I found what appears to be a corroded fishing spear, a name tag, a half of a scissor, and a few other fun things, but I finally scored with 2 days left.  A hefty gold and platinum ring!  My first official gold ring and platinum both in one(not sure if it counts since it is a two in one).  It weighs out at 13.2 grams and is marked FG 18k PLAT 950. Frederick Goldman 

Most of the good stuff was between 5 and 10 feet deep, with the FG ring at about 8 feet deep and 10" in the rocky sand.  I was in an opening in the reef that was maybe 8'x15' long and I grid it 3 times before I got a signal.  The reason I would grid these areas is because there werent very many targets and the few were better targets then the closer to shore trashy areas.  I imagine if I were there a week and could get in 8 to 10 hours, I would have good luck in the closer trashy areas but didnt have the time.  

Hope you all enjoy seeing the finds!

IMG-0356.jpg

IMG-0357.jpg

IMG-0358.jpg

IMG-0359.jpg

IMG-0360.jpg

IMG-0361.jpg

Nice finds indeed and glad you were persistent enough to learn the ropes for that area. 

That 18K yellow band with platinum is tops.  Well earned and thanks for sharing.  

2 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

Did you use the Excal for these finds? your Equinox would've handled these depths and given you target id.. 😃 

I dont have water proof head phones for it, so mostly just use the Equinox up to chest depths.  

I am making headway on the badly corroded ring.  Just realized I didnt have it in any of my pictures and didnt take a before picture but here it is in its current state.

IMG-0377.jpg

IMG-0378.jpg

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1