TDI SL On Deep Gold Ring In Beach

Break1

Hello guys, I finally signed up to this excellent forum, I had been reading it for some time and with the excuse of having bought a TDI SL I signed up to interact with you .... I get to the point, I live in Sicily, at the foot of the volcano Etna, i search more in beach, my beaches many times are very mineralized and with the presence of black sand and black stones.I bought the tdi sl for this to be able to go deeper where the vlf stop, and because I am a fan of white's quality (in my fleet I also have a v3i and I had mxt pro) I currently have two plates, the standard 12 dual field and the coiltek mono 14 "TDI series specific.

I generally go hunting for coins and jewels, use the tdi with a 12.6 volt lithium battery, and do some tests by burying an 18k gold ring at 30 cm (+/- 12 ") Gain at max, delay at 10 us, threshold barely audible not annoying, gb on at 7.5, conductivity position all, is the limit for this ring. I tested it with gb off and it hears very well. By mounting the 14 "coiltek things change, with gb on, battery full, same settings as above, at 30 it detects it well. I tried to bury the ring at 41 cm (+/- 14 ") and I discovered a strange operation, if I correctly balance the tdi at about 7.5 the ring does not feel it, if I overbalance the ring at 8.5 I feel very good at 41 cm and I can even raise the plate by another 6-8 cm still feeling good. Is this behavior normal? the problem is that by overbalancing then I cannot search on the beach because the false balance signals return to me. The same thing happens by underbalancing, putting the balance to the minimum (gb at 2 or 3) the ring is heard well. If underbalance it gives it to me with a high tone and therefore low conductivity, if overbalance it gives it to me with a low tone therefore with high conductivity. also does with the standard 12 plate I therefore noticed that there is a balance range that cuts the ring, but I want to point out that it only happens when the ring is at great depths, doing the test with the ring resting only on the sand and buried a little deep, this cut is not heard, and going the gb the only thing I notice that at gb 5.5 is the limit of how the ring sounds, from gb 1 to 5.5 it sounds high-pitched, from gb 5.6 to massimo plays it in a low tone. so I wanted to understand if when the ring is at a high depth and is cut it is normal or not since overbalancing or underbalancing it can be heard, while with the correct gb it is not! the metal is as new it is from 2020. I only have the doubt that at high depth the ring is exchanged with the same level of ground balance and therefore cuts it to me even if it actually feels it. The Problem that I can't walk on the beach over-balanced, it's impossible, so when I balance correctly now I always have the doubt that I will lose rings in depth ...... I have read Steve's guides, I hope he can answer too .... . soon I will make another 16.8 volt lithium pack, I wonder if the problem will recur ... I apologize for the long topic but I had to explain everything correctly

goodbye and thank you from the land of oranges and lava

Salvo

• Like 4

It seems You're experiencing nothing more than the "hole" in the ground balance and of course the reaction on that specific ring Is a no sounding  machine.

I think this Gold ring Is quite big or thick to disappear at the level of GB You describe.

I Just think You can leave the GB knob at 9 and forget to use 10uS on delay.

Start moving the coil over the sand raising the delay up, until You hear a stable treshold without drift or falsing.

Now You can try to ground balance correctly.

Normally GB at 8 Is already ok for 90% of places, but if You use It as a discriminator, remember that some big rings can sound like coins with a low tone with a lower GB.

Hope It helps.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard, Salvo. Great you joined and yes, this is a superb forum with tons of knowledge and a bunch of nice & helpful people. And you know we like pictures from the finds & the environment where they was found.😉😊

Nice to have ya here.

thank you at all for the reply! Skull I opened this post not only to understand why I lose the rings in depth, but also to understand if it was a technical problem with my tdi.I also tried to turn up the pulse delay, but with the balance over 8 I make the situation worse and I have even more feedback from the ground. Also by increasing the pulse delay you begin to lose the little jewels. Unfortunately with my land and my beaches I cannot turn with overbalance, too bad because in this way it would hear the targets much deeper.

I forgot, skull my problem is not that the tdi feels the rings like coins, but that it does not feel them in depth if I set the gb to 7.5-8 I have to set it or more or to a minimum .....

38 minuti fa, Hard Prospector ha detto:

Attenzione con la SL nell'ambiente marino. Quella scatola di controllo non è altro che una "copertura del patio" non sigillata sopra l'elettronica sensibile.

yes , i protected the tdi with specific rain cover. in the photo at the second exit (the first almost only of tests) the tdi sl has found its first yellow: D

259292221_583642562864162_2915872969659623014_n.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Break1 said:

by increasing the pulse delay you begin to lose the little jewels.

True, but You'll be surprised testing really tiny gold jewels, sounding perfectly at almost 20uS.

I can't even Imagine to keep my BeachHunter at less than 20uS especially cause I Hunt Underwater in damn salty too.

You're using a low pulse delay that can for sure react bad with volcanic/gravels kind Sand.

It simply can't do nothing but continuely retune itself.

I take this opportunity to ask for advice, I would like to take an elliptical coil to use where there is a lot of dirt and on the ground to enter even between stones and narrow areas, it must be light, but that does not lose much depth .... I found two coils, one razorback australian 10x6 and a miner john 12,5x7,5 folded mono (but does this measure really exist or is the seller wrong? I knew it was 12x8) which one do you recommend between the two?