Canadien Nickel 'eh

Got a penny-ish signal today ( Fisher F19 w/ 9X5 coil ) but during the recovery it just sort of disappeared. Found it with a little difficulty. 1963 Canada nickel. Internet tells me it is pure nickel. Doing some air testing and its an odd bugger. The ID is variable with distance (sure any coin will vary nearing the max disc ID distance but this coin is very sensitive to distance changes ), ID changes with swing direction like a junk target ( likely due to slightly different distance ), as the coin gets within couple inches of coil the ID is way down, and within an inch of the coil its IDing VERY LOW in the iron range, like #1 or #10, sometimes the detector does not even respond ( yes, the disc is set at zero/ none ) and if disc is zero why wont it report consistently in the very low iron range? Still a little disc going on even at zero?  Find it a little bothersome because 19khz should be hammering on  pure nickel? In all metal mode consistently gets it, this coin just dont play well in disc mode.

Maybe this is old news to you all but is a new one on me.

Your thoughts?

• Like 3

Wrap around effect!!  I've heard some of you mention it before but couldn't quite figure out exactly what your talking about and I've never experienced it, until now. As an experiment I stacked a few quarters together and I am seeing the same thing happen as they get too close to the coil, ID wraps around and comes up "1".

Do all detectors suffer from this? How do you deal with it? I should be so lucky but what if my coil was over a mason jar full-o-coins ( did people really do that?), I'd miss it thinking it was iron! Or maybe a jar full-o-coins would be too hard to miss visually when I've uncovered enough for it to wrap around?

Detector has an "overload" tone/alert. Cant they add an alert if the ID wraps around?

• Like 2

Wrapping happens more on dd coils but some machines and coil combinations are worse than others. AT Pro will start to wrap at a few quarters same as Nox, Tejon with concentric doesn't seem to wrap at all but may start to get a broken signal or overload. DD on the Tejon can wrap at 2 quarters but not consistant here. Apex with 9" Detech the id's will shift at half dozen quarters and gon as high as 14 where I get blips of iron and a 99 and high tone. I haven't tried with the viper coil on that machine. The Multi Kruzer will wrap at a couple quarters with the Superfly coil at 19khz, same with 14khz but I can get a mid tone with 5khz.

Odd of having a stack of quarters on end and hitting it dead on with any detector in the field is pretty low but a large silver buckel or silver dollar on edge could be skipped over as iron.

One the reasons I like to either hear iron or break my discrim just at iron is so I can always double check the signal by passing in different directions.

A jar of coins should sound like a big target and possibly give an overload. Easy test if you don't mind filling a jar and burying it. Good chance you will hear the lid only if its straight up.

• Like 1

It's not a wrap around.

The composition of Canadian clad make it hard for many detectors to decide if its junk or good.

Depending upon the year the composition was changed by the mint. Lots of the clad is now steel based with a chrome like plating. So the Id can bounce between numbers, maybe lock on to a particular number range. Or be seen as junk in the low iron range numbers. If the coin is on edge, will definitely be Id'd with a low iron range number.

If your digging clad up here, you have to set up your disc to a min. setting that the clad will be accepted when lying flat. You can't hunt the same way here as you would in the US, you'll go away with empty pockets.

Canadian clad give most detectors troubles when in disc mode!!!  Also, your disc range has to go low enough to accept tiny nails and such to register the edge coins.

If you hunt in a true all metal mode, not an issue you'll pick them up.

Canadian Clad coin composition thru the years http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/articles/02a_coin_specs.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sven, the nickel is a 1968, not clad, and I realize just now in the first post I mistakenly wrote 1963.

Do you still have the troubles with the 99% nickel coins?

Checking again it looks like a fairly steady  "dig me" signal up in the silver range at some distance from the coil, but as it gets closer it starts to give varying IDs but the intermittent high signals are getting higher and then it still looks to me like it "goes over the top"/wraps into the iron. But certainly could be wrong as it sounds like you deal with this often. You have my sympathy.

Additionally KAC nailed it when he said "some coil combinations".  Just for fun I tried the same testing with the 11" DD biaxial coil and NO EVIDENCE of wrapping, still the erratic ID persists.

• Like 2

Chart explains why I have only found mostly older Canadian clad older than 2000. I have found a few newer quarters but thinking back I had my discrim really low.