A Few Nuggets For The GPX 6000 And GPZ 7000

phrunt

There is actually a used GPX 6000 for sale in NZ at the moment, which is rather odd as I doubt more than two or three are even in the country.  The guys had it six months and used it once and selling it.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/electronics-photography/other-electronics/other/listing/3378512839?cc=61&pid=1659686133&hbc=12&ct=image&tm=email&et=61&mt=5E960BB0-6FBC-473E-96FD-601C043DD8F0&bof=XvRCGGam

It's auction ends today, I doubt it will sell, I'll see see what happens with the price after a few months of trying to sell it.

--- UPDATE:  The GPX didn't sell, see what price it comes on for next time.

• Like 2

There's a GPZ for sale on Offerup for just $600, funny as it looks exactly like the photos of one that sold on FleaBay just a couple weeks ago...:dry:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1

12 hours ago, phrunt said:

Sorry to hear about your injury Aureous, you've been killing it with the VLF's in places others dismiss VLF's as even being an option so you've made up for that handicap with skill and dedication and found yourself a lot on gold by doing so.  I should take note of stories like these as I'm constantly being warned, JW is constantly warning me too.

All my own fault Simon, I ignored something which should have seen surgery many years earlier than I did. 😒

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1

16 hours ago, phrunt said:

Yes, I agree, the bundle wound 10" X-coil on the GPZ would struggle to keep up with the 6000 11" on small gold, it does add a significant boost to the GPZ when it comes to small gold but not GPX level sensitivity.  The GPX is very sensitive to small gold without a doubt.

The truth is that the GPX 6000 is so sensitive to small gold with both of the  currently available mono coils that it is rendered useless if EMI is present at even moderate to low levels when using them. Thankfully Minelab and the field testers came up with the outstanding 14” DD coil which came through for JW in Simon’s write-up. 

The 14” DD was also the only coil that was useable at the sites that I commonly hunt with other PIs (using DDs and small mono coils) along with gold prospecting specific VLFs like the Equinox, Gold Monster, 24k and the XP Deus1/ORX. Using the GPX 6000 with the 14” DD detracts from the 6000’s excellent ergonomics however. 

Hopefully Minelab or an aftermarket manufacturer will provide a smaller DD coil and smaller mono coils too so that the 6000 will be more comfortable to swing without a bungee in the presence of EMI. I don’t see EMI becoming less of a problem here in the USA. Quite the opposite. 

• Like 1

Are you sure your GPX wasn't one of the duds Jeff? I've read about people with out of control EMI as being one of the faults some people get with the detector itself not just the coils? Yours sounds like it was abnormally bad, I know you sold it and went back to a GPX 5000 so I guess you can't find out now.

The 6000 was OK with the 11" when it comes to EMI, it was the 17" that was more troublesome, the 11" wasn't perfect but it worked OK, initially at turn on when I was first seeing it in action while using the speaker it was worse by the sounds of it than later in the day.  JW did a few noise cancels and we turned off my phone (my GPZ wasn't turned on at the time) and it was reasonable, I wouldn't say stable but it was OK.  In saying that I'm used to the far more stable GPZ now so the GPX probably sounded worse to me than a regular user of it.  A smaller size coil like you're saying would improve the EMI situation even more judging by the difference between the 17" and 11".

I sure don't miss the EMI affected unstable threshold of my older GPX though by comparison to the GPZ, I do much better on a stable detector, but that's just me which is why I usually run my GPZ on 18 for the sensitivity while JW runs his on 20, that extra 2 digits makes the threshold from what I like to one I don't like 😉 I do know that extra 2 digits running on 20 also makes it more sensitive to small gold, we've proven that to ourselves but I still prefer 18, my videos of the gold finds were while it was on 18 sensitivity in HY/Normal with smoothing's off.

The 14" DD seems a good coil though I was quite impressed by its sensitivity, JW was happy it found the deeper bit and that was the first bit he'd found with that coil, it was similar depth to I was finding my bits with a similar size bit of gold, not that this means anything, as you can see in my video the targets were not exactly difficult targets, really obvious ones and I've found similar size and smaller bits far deeper on previous detecting trips.  In the two videos the depths were pretty clear, the gold was on the bedrock as you'd expect, which was the bottom of the holes.

On 12/14/2021 at 2:00 AM, phrunt said:

Are you sure your GPX wasn't one of the duds Jeff? I've read about people with out of control EMI as being one of the faults some people get with the detector itself not just the coils? Yours sounds like it was abnormally bad, I know you sold it and went back to a GPX 5000 so I guess you can't find out now.

Mine worked beautifully with the 14” DD coil. I was able to detect with it fairly close to some big power lines and the 11” coil was quiet in some very low EMI areas that I tested it in just to make sure.  So I think my GPX 6000 was operating normally. 

I forgot to mention, I am a headphone person. I never used the GPX 6000 I had with just the onboard speaker when detecting.

I will definitely by another GPX 6000 when more coils are available. It is an outstanding detector for sure.

• Like 2

Well said, Norvic. It is the small scraps at depth where the 6k is unbeatable. Bigger stuff the GPZ will hear close to equally well (IMHO). In very low EMI conditions with the 6k close to max it will find gold that others have missed, at least up to the 10 inch mark or so.  However, when you need to dial back significantly due to EMI or when mounting the 14DD then the GPZ will come pretty close in performance when run hot (at least with my NF coil), also for the smaller stuff. But then it also has the added depth advantage. If the EMI is bad and you still run the 6k full bore I think you run the risk of missing gold. In those conditions the threshold can get so erratic that it will be difficult to recognize a clear target response. I am used to unstable thresholds and have a pretty high tolerance, but at some point something has to give (IMO). Overall, I remain committed to the 6k as my first to go detector. It is hard to imagine that ML would come up with something better in the future, as I believe the 6k is close to perfection. But haven't they always?🤩

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Norvic said:

detect in a remote area where EMI has only been a problem when one particular small plane flies over, actually I`m getting a wee paranoid about him and think he`s only up there when I`m out there.😉

Damned, I got caught....😜

1 hour ago, Gold Catcher said:

It is hard to imagine that ML would come up with something better in the future, as I believe the 6k is close to perfection. But haven't they always?🤩

The GPZ8500!  You know its coming, the tech is over 7 years old!  Or the GPX6800 with stable threshold using GeoSense 2.0 😂. Noticed that I adjusted the numbers to correlate with price 😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3