Modified Monte's Nail Board Results: Tesoro Versus Equinox 600

11 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The Cibola, Vaquero and other 10 kHz and higher Tesoros were never considered to be slow detectors. They could separate and unmask targets very well in milder dirt. I am not surprised that they did well since they have a much smaller number of filters compared to the Equinox along with much less complicated processing of the return signal.

Most older simultaneous multi frequency detectors suffered from slower or snail's pace recovery speed, below average target separation, minimal unmasking in iron and struggled in moderate to high iron mineralization including those offered by Minelab. Minelab's Multi IQ simultaneous multi frequency technology vastly improved the performance of the Equinox as far as recovery speed, target separation, unmasking in iron and achieving good target ID and depth in moderate to high iron mineralization. Unmasking in aluminum or other targets with similar conductivity is another issue entirely. The bread and butter target range on the Equinox due to its higher operating frequencies is the entire aluminum range from about 2 to 26 or so depending on the size of the aluminum. The Equinox will hit targets in that range really hard.

That definitely explains a lot, Jeff. Thank you for your insight.

But then I realized it was the coil and most likely, an averaging of the nail and coin values producing the tone. not either Tesoro machine actually having the unmasking and separation ability that exceeds the Equinox.

Yes there will be an averaging of signals. The trick is to disc out the iron and still get a good beep on the coin. The ID may be well down into the mid-range but thats great! You discover the coin amongst the iron! 

And if you get great results but feel it is due to the coil and not the detector....so what, that is still the winning coil/detector combo that works in the iron. Right?

Now its been said before there is limited value in these tests. Real world is where it matters. But its gotta instill some confidence seeing these results. That being said, in your 1st post test results, the "down position" is a tough one and the Vaquero smoked the Equinox.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Flydog said:

That being said, in your 1st post test results, the "down position" is a tough one and the Vaquero smoked the Equinox.

Probably because of the averaging, though.

The problem with averaging is that the Tesoro is beeping off on an "averaged" target. It's going to be higher than the iron nail, but lower than the clad dime. But how much lower? I guess I could mess with the Discrimination Knob to find out, but I would imagine it's lower than the Zincoln range and would depend on the orientation of the targets, soil conditions, and depth differences b/w the ideal target and the rejected target.

A machine going off on an "averaged" target doesn't mean much to a coin shooter like me. That's b/c it could be chunk of aluminum trash as much as it is a clad dime next to an iron nail. 

And here's the kicker that convinced me to sell the Tesoros: I buried a clad dime next to an iron nail in my backyard about 6 inches down, so well into the highly mineralized clay. The AT Max could pick it up, even in non All Metal mode. The numbers were all over the place, but it picked up on the items in the ground. My Equinox picks up on them too. It also had some variable numbers, although they're more consistent than the AT Max. As for the Vaquero? Unless it was in All Metal mode, it picked up nothing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice separation tests mh9162013...👍:smile: ......I think .. that Tesoro in combination with concentric coils ,, works very well in 2D type separation .. Nailboard test ..., sometimes just excels ... ,,,
 2 years ago .. I was in the garden where my test field is located with the Tesoro Mojave -7 Precision coil "until then" the last coin. many years with all my detectors .. but for the last about two years no detector has found a coin target there anymore .. yes I found it .. some will non- ferous small items- .. but not a coin ..

Only this year I found another 2 coins .. while testing the new detectors INTRONIK and ATREX ........  INTRONIK found 1 nice signal ..- which I marked with a wooden stick at that time. frozen ... ,, about 3-4 weeks when I tested ATREX in 3D separation test rooms, I moved to the best separation settings ... part of the garden .. and I came across another goal ... which turned out to be a coin in the depth of about 6 "-7 near iron nails ..., and then I checked the place that I marked a wooden stick a month ago .. and Atrex .. also detected this target as a non-ferrous target ....the target was similarly located at a depth of about 7" between iron ..

when I was making a colleague's short video like ..prototype  Atrex  -23cm DD coil..on this software .. he is working on iron-soiled terrain on my settings .. I still had no idea .. that I was locating the place of the second coin ...:smile:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this Picture, coins are excavated .. as well as nails that were located around the targets ..

IMG_20210315_215528_213.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now we come to the main ...👍
I believe that more modern and technically advanced detectors with excellent separation and depth properties can find other masked targets even in heavily traversed detected terrain ... but let's not forget that Tesoro detectors in combination with a suitable concentric coil can also detect which detectors can detect. detectors that have DD coils ..

Here is my Tesoro Mojave in the standard Monte Nailboard Performance Test ... which I did some time ago ..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next time he did a similar test but with a coin placed 1 inch deeper ...../mh9162013 style/ and we will see what the results will be .... with coils 7 precicion CC and 5.75 "CC ..👍

• Like 1