Nothing But Nickels (almost)

35 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

Congrats on the two war nickels and the buffs!   If I were you I’d go over that area again very slowly.  There’s a high probability of more silver whether it was detected before or not.  

Thanks. I probably will go over it again. I go quite slow and dig just about every "iffy".

In my experience farms are not like parks that may have many layers of "deposits". Almost all my finds today were in the first 4"! The farmers here haven't plowed deep in many years, preferring to "no till" or "turbo till".

I'm running my Equinox 600 in all metal, sensitivity 23. I'm using the Coiltek 10x5 which ground balances extremely well and separates targets better than the 11". I will usually use F2=0, but sometimes push iron balance to max when I'm in a lot of large iron. I had an ax head give me a solid 17 with F2=0. 😵 Iron bias sure isn't stopping me from getting the nickels 😀

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, oneguy said:

Back in my coin shootin days my last 2 seasons I tried to focus on nickels more than silver as silver was getting a little bit slim pickens.  I enjoyed the hell outta "nickel knockin" because most the guys scrim out anything in the beaver tail and/or square tab range....so there's plenty of nickels still out there!!!!  Plenty of v's and buffs laying around and also the occasional gold ring! Last 2 seasons knocking nickels my average was between 200-300/season with about 10% being war, buffs, or V's.

Take those worthless old buffs and V's and scrub the piss outta them with steel wool to clean them up...you won't hurt them as they are dug nickels and enviremental damage, pitting, etc. has made them worth about 5 cents anyways.  Here's my last season of "keeper" nickels, you can see that after the steel wool they look a little better than a brown turd....

P1200007[1].JPG

Wow, now that is what I call clean!

What grade of steel wool do you use? I just got a rock tumbler not too long ago to clean up the clad. Might try it both ways. 👍

• Like 1

I use regular old s.o.s pads and if the nickel isn't pitted too bad I'll sometimes take it a step further and scrub by hand with a powder abrasive like Comet or Bon-Ami, etc.

Good tip for nickle knockin:  Most parks, schoolyards, any public grass has been manicured with many fertilizers/chemiclas and I've found some of these that the nickels are just way too pitted to waste my time on, not to mention TONS of pulltabs.  Hit the curb strips and any private yards for nickels, less pulltabs, and most folks don't use chemicals, etc. on their curb strips so usually much better condition nickels.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, oneguy said:

I use regular old s.o.s pads and if the nickel isn't pitted too bad I'll sometimes take it a step further and scrub by hand with a powder abrasive like Comet or Bon-Ami, etc.

Good tip for nickle knockin:  Most parks, schoolyards, any public grass has been manicured with many fertilizers/chemiclas and I've found some of these that the nickels are just way too pitted to waste my time on, not to mention TONS of pulltabs.  Hit the curb strips and any private yards for nickels, less pulltabs, and most folks don't use chemicals, etc. on their curb strips so usually much better condition nickels.....

I was surprised that the two war nickels were as nice as they are, had to be the silver content. I don't have a park near me at all, and these farms see a lot of chemicals. Coins come out smooth most times, you should see them when they come out of the brackish water. 😵

• Like 2

How old is that rein guide? I have a couple similar but they don't have threaded bottoms and look to be made of bronze or brass.

If you go over the area again, slap the stock coil and see if you can go a bit deeper. It might have been detected quite a few years ago and the Nox with stock coil can go much deeper.

Really nice places you hunt. Think that really makes the day even if pickings aren't off the charts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great looking hunt in the books again for you.

Wish you more luck on your next outing.

• Like 1

Those guys that cleaned out the silver here’s to them 🤮

thats what we get for being late to the game...don’t think I’ve ever been to a spot where there was silver in abundance....nice shooting that elliptical is awesome

strick 

• Like 1