6.5 Ounces

3 hours ago, strick said:

Just curious about the thorns.. what is the thorn to nugget ratio?

strick

Unfortunately Strick, there are WAY more thorns than nuggets, lol.

5 minutes ago, LuckyLundy said:

Lunk,

Great shooting!  Love that sound of them deep sweet targets and a missed section of and old patch.  Stay where your at, we just got a ton of rain up this way.

LuckyLundy

As much as I love nugget hunting the RP area, there's a saying amongst us old nuggetshooters, and quoting the legendary Smokey Baird: "never quit gold to find gold." Besides, I'm liking the warmer weather that has driven out the majority of snowbirds already. But I will be there in time for the 3-day detector training for Gerry's Detectors on April 8 through 10.

• Like 1

OMG Lunk! - You keep vacuuming Quartzite clean of nuggies and I'm going to have to change my relatively local MD plans.

You scored some very nice finds, particularly for such a supposedly "cleaned-out", "beat to death", over-pounded stretch of AZ desert as Quartzite reportedly is - ER.... WAS! :nugget:

Congrats on all the effort, you definitely paid off the ZED, and then some, but most importantly - you proved that these newer detectors can re-open old grounds, that the favored yellow stuff is still out there to find.  Impressive also is the size of some of those finds.  Hopefully by re-swinging over old stomping grounds - your trash targets were fewer.

Kudos, hopefully see you the end-of-the-month, assuming you leave anything for the rest of us.  Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dgatleyDP said:

- you proved that these newer detectors can re-open old grounds, that the favored yellow stuff is still out there to find.  Impressive also is the size of some of those finds.  Hopefully by re-swinging over old stomping grounds - your trash targets were fewer.

Dave, you've hit the nail on the head. I knew I'd find some gold going over old patches with the Zed, but to find 300 nuggets, and some sizeable ones at that? It's a real eye opener. And yes, fewer trash targets is a definite benifit to reworking old nugget patches! ?

Tvanwho,

I think a lot of people would attest;

very few lost mine stories these days.

gps changed everything…

6 minutes ago, tvanwho said:

How do you guys remember where all these gold patches are anyway and how to get back  to them in your truck or on foot without getting hopelessly lost in the desert? GPS I assume ?

No GPS required for me - I never forget where I've found nuggets, and I couldn't get lost in the desert if I tried because there are always landmarks to go by, but put me downtown in a big city in the middle of a bunch of skyscrapers, and I get all kinds of turned around in no time, lol!

• Like 2

I guess I better stay outta the deserts without a local guide then. There are no signposts on a lot of the dirt roads out in Arizona I noticed a few years back.Your truck breaks down on a 110 degree day, 30 miles from town,in the hills...I don't even wanna think about it...at least we don't have that kinda heat to worry about back east BUT we don't have gold patches or much public land to explore either. I will just have to sit back and drool over the hot yellow gold photos you guys post here for now...

• Like 1