Update Of Nokta Makro Legend Shipping & Manual

Well, not once was the screen shown to display the target ID stability and it had me staring at the little screen at the bottom of the video trying to see what was going on there, from what I could see a lot of targets had no ID at all, and many others were very jumpy, this wasn't mentioned at all in the video as I'm guessing the Anfibio like the Simplex has very unstable ID's and no ID's on targets at depth, he does point out he's in very mild soil which is similar to my detecting areas.

Perhaps this was addressed in later videos, but the focus on detectors with stable ID's is often on how stable the ID's are such as the new Deus 2 videos and obviously the Equinox videos when it was released.

My focus is very much on ID's as I rely on them for deep coins here to dig as little as possible while still getting the desired target.

So I would say this video wasn't particularly objective by highlighting the good while ignoring the negative, perhaps later ones were.

39 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Well, not once was the screen shown to display the target ID stability and it had me staring at the little screen at the bottom of the video trying to see what was going on there, from what I could see a lot of targets had no ID at all, and many others were very jumpy, this wasn't mentioned at all in the video as I'm guessing the Anfibio like the Simplex has very unstable ID's and no ID's on targets at depth, he does point out he's in very mild soil which is similar to my detecting areas.

Perhaps this was addressed in later videos, but the focus on detectors with stable ID's is often on how stable the ID's are such as the new Deus 2 videos and obviously the Equinox videos when it was released.

My focus is very much on ID's are I rely on them for deep coins here to dig as little as possible while still getting the desired target.

So I would say this video wasn't particularly objective by highlighting the good while ignoring the negative, perhaps later ones were.

Yes, perhaps not a great singular example here demonstrating objectivity - what I was trying to point out was that I don't think Calabash is biased against Nokta.  Feel free to do your own youtube navigation to dive down Calabash's 5 to 6 video Anfibio rabbit hole if you wish - not trying to make a case for this 3 year old detector btw.  He tends to give most detectors the benefit of the doubt to prove themselves in his various tests then renders a final objective decision on whether the detector is a keeper based on those results and is willing to discuss the "wows" as well as the "warts" that goes into that decision.  In the end, despite favorable raw depth performance (albeit perhaps a jumpy, inaccurate TID) where the completion was giving him absolutely no target signal, as demonstrated in this video, in the end the Anfibio was deemed to not be a keeper because of its mode dependent recovery speed and non-favorable weight and balance ergonomics. FWIW.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Yes, perhaps not a great singular example here demonstrating objectivity - what I was trying to point out was that I don't think Calabash is biased against Nokta.  Feel free to do your own youtube navigation to dive down Calabash's 5 to 6 video Anfibio rabbit hole if you wish - not trying to make a case for this 3 year old detector btw.  He tends to give most detectors the benefit of the doubt to prove themselves in his various tests then renders a final objective decision on whether the detector is a keeper based on those results and is willing to discuss the "wows" as well as the "warts" that goes into that decision.  In the end, despite favorable raw depth performance (albeit perhaps a jumpy, inaccurate TID) where the completion was giving him absolutely no target signal, as demonstrated in this video, in the end the Anfibio was deemed to not be a keeper because of its mode dependent recovery speed and non-favorable weight and balance ergonomics. FWIW.

I have not noticed any problem that Calabash may have with Nokta Makro. From what I can remember he has always praised them for the same things we praise them for: great value, rugged build quality, excellent features, above average function especially in his dirt and a solid choice for a deep detector where accurate target ID is less important than hitting a deep non ferrous target with some kind of non-ferrous response when relic hunting. 

Personally, I have always trusted the waterproof Nokta Makro detectors I have owned and submerged and they have not failed to survive a good dunking. Unfortunately, the unstable target ID issue has always been a negative for me in most of the places I hunt. I am hoping the Legend will be a big improvement over the Anfibio and Simplex in that department which for me is the only negative that I have with the Impact/Anfibio/Simplex line of detectors.

• Like 1

Yes, that's why I don't really like my Simplex, the Target ID's are terrible even in my super mild soil it's really bad, probably the worst detector I own that has Target ID on ID stability with even cheaper detectors giving a better ID, I can't rely on the ID's with it on anything but very shallow coins which is a problem for me as I hunt by ID to dig as little holes as possible and want the older coins which tend to be the deeper coins.  It just doesn't suit my requirements for a coin detector.   Hopefully the Legend has improved on that, although there hasn't really been talk of target ID improvements from Nokta during the promotions so far and we are just assuming being multi frequency there will be improvements in that regard.

If a detector is poor at ID's in my mild soil I can only imagine how bad it is in worse soils.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, phrunt said:

If a detector is poor at ID's in my mild soil I can only imagine how bad it is in worse soils.

Agreed. The last thing I want to do when I am coin and jewelry hunting in a public area with digging restrictions is repeatedly swing a coil (like 20 to 30 times) over a target to try to wiggle out some kind of dependable target ID. Same goes for changing programs, settings or frequencies just to decide to dig or not. I just don't have time for that and I don't see the point in a common coin and jewelry hunt situation where most of the targets are 8" deep or less. I guess that is why I enjoy the Equinox so much. I sure hope the Legend will be a big improvement in that department.

• Like 1

If you want somebody to do something, tell them they are not allowed to do it. 

If you want to interest someone in buying something, tell them there is a high demand, and they may not be able to get one. 

The delay may be related to chip shortages, or a marketing ploy to arouse interest. As in better order one in advance, or you may not get one later. 

I don't expect companies to be completely forthcoming with what their reality is. Most of marketing is based on fantasy. Making you imagine their product is highly desirable. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, phrunt said:

Yes, that's why I don't really like my Simplex, the Target ID's are terrible even in my super mild soil it's really bad, probably the worst detector I own that has Target ID on ID stability with even cheaper detectors giving a better ID, I can't rely on the ID's with it on anything but very shallow coins which is a problem for me as I hunt by ID to dig as little holes as possible and want the older coins which tend to be the deeper coins.  It just doesn't suit my requirements for a coin detector.   Hopefully the Legend has improved on that, although there hasn't really been talk of target ID improvements from Nokta during the promotions so far and we are just assuming being multi frequency there will be improvements in that regard.

Target ID stability on the new NM Legend will be something to watch for during field testing. My understanding is the NM Legend is using the same straight rod/control handle design as the NM Simplex. Per the specs both have similar weight and overall length. For you current and past Simplex MD owner, how is the ergonomics of the NM Simplex?

14 minutes ago, HardPack said:

For you current and past Simplex MD owner, how is the ergonomics of the NM Simplex?

It is hard to answer that question without violating the prime directive and comparing Nokta to other brands, so I'll apologize up front...

Better than the Equinox, because the handle is a normal circumfrence as it does not house the battery.  They fixed the issue with the licorice stick files of the lower shaft by using CF.  But it's still a straight shaft config for a less than 4lb total weight machine and the non-circular cross section of the shaft and stem assembly may preclude the custom 3rd party CF shaft/counterweight systems available for Equinox.  The Deus basically has both Equinox and Legend/Simplex beat in the ergonomics department.  Garrett Apex is similarly superior.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HardPack said:

From the Legend release video back in November, I believe the battery was moved back into the hand grip. May be wrong but worth examining. 

I am not sure where the battery is located in the current Legend. It was never in the handle of the Simplex. It was integrated into the control pod.

As far as ergonomics of the Simplex, the supplied 11” coil was a bit of a boat anchor. The Legend’s 11” coil has a different design with a center of the coil mounting area. So hopefully it will have better ergonomics and balance than the Simplex. With smaller coils the Simplex felt great, similar to the Equinox with its 6” or 10 X 5” Coiltek coil.

• Like 1