This Gold Specimen Turned Out Better Than I Expected

9 hours ago, oldcoinhunter said:

So, how did you clean it?

Over a four week period I used Muriatic Acid, Whink and CLR.

For more detail on how I clean gold specimens, click on links below on a earlier post I did this year.

Cleaning Gold Specimens - Seven Parts

Cleaning Gold Specimens - The Final Results

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Did you clean it with CLR or another chemical?

Over a four week period I used Muriatic Acid, Whink and CLR. The first three weeks I used Muriatic Acid, then Whink for four days and then CLR for three days.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to This Gold Specimen Turned Out Better Than I Expected

Looks a lot like Electrum, rather than JUST gold. If so, it would be worth a sh*tload more $$. But it could be just the type of acid process you used, that makes the gold look pale.... still an awesome result 👍

• Thanks 1

Cleaning specimens is always a gamble and I have to admit, you have the system down pretty well.  One thing I'm missing.  The before and after weight are messing with me.  Before was 55 gram and the cleaning lost 5 gram, but now the finished product is 28 gram.  Did you mean the before was 35 gram?  Either way, you have a winner on that one my friend, well done.

5 hours ago, Aureous said:

Looks a lot like Electrum, rather than JUST gold. If so, it would be worth a sh*tload more $$. But it could be just the type of acid process you used, that makes the gold look pale.... still an awesome result 👍

The location where this type of is found has a high silver content. Unfortunately when I take a photograph I must use low light because of the gold specimen has a highly reflective surface and will wash-out the photograph and you would not see any of the detail. This gold specimen is a combination of wire and crystalline gold and commands high dollars from collectors.

• Like 1