This Gold Specimen Turned Out Better Than I Expected

5 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Cleaning specimens is always a gamble and I have to admit, you have the system down pretty well.  One thing I'm missing.  The before and after weight are messing with me.  Before was 55 gram and the cleaning lost 5 gram, but now the finished product is 28 gram.  Did you mean the before was 35 gram?  Either way, you have a winner on that one my friend, well done.

Hey Gerry I hope you have recently been on some great nugget hunting adventure that you would wiling to share with us as a holiday treat.

The gold specimen in its natural state with the host rock and limonite weighed in at 55.1 grams. So there was 5.57 grams of gold that fell of the specimen as the acid dissolve the host rock and limonite. There is a small amount if host rock left in the specimen to help stabilize and keep the specimen intact. So the amount of gold that fell off and the gold remaining on the cleaned specimen totals 34 grams. Without doing a specific gravity test I would guess the total of all the gold would be around 31 to 32 grams and 22 to 23 grams of host rock and limonite.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

• Like 1