Benefits Of -6.4 -99 Tid Range Vs Compressed Range ?

relicmeister

I noticed that the new NM Legend has a compressed target Id range - slightly more increments than the Equinox. The Deus Ii , however has the full -6.4 to +99.  Given the generally more accurate ID compared to single frequencies, what is the benefit of this?  There was a lot of negative feedback in the early days of the Nox - it didn’t bother me but Do you think it will result in better pre-recovery ideas of what targets might be due to the full range ?  Just interested in what people think of this  

Good topic.

• Like 1

I’ve wondered if it would help differentiating a copper penny from a dime better. They are so close and similar on the Equinox.  

I’ve hunted some sites where I have found a bunch of wheats but not a single silver dime and wondered if someone more skilled or with a different scale sniffed them out and left the wheats behind. 

6 hours ago, relicmeister said:

Do you think it will result in better pre-recovery ideas of what targets might be due to the full range ?

Sure can be Better than a compressed ID scale.

For a dry hunt, with the right amount of time and the patience to dig every good repeatable signal, It doesn't matter so much.

But now think about me.

A medium scuba tank can last up to three hours in the shallows till the danger to remain out of air.

Now, if I dig, I burn more air than normal doing not only an effort in terms of physical stress, but progressively reducing my time on the bottom.

What a relief can be to trust in a stable ID value (at depth, not only under the coil)?

Why to burn more air digging targets falling under the same number as a group?

I try to make It simpler.

Two clear tones, One of them for iron.

If the tone Is High, a Quick check to Id and maybe i'll dig, otherwise, move and proceed to scan.

I also prefer iron type response over conductivity.

Cause with numbers, still need to investigate how big Is the object and even a golden One can sounds almost like a coin😑.

So there's more to say.

If You Need to be fast, You can rely in a better id separation with a dedicated number.

I don't have time to hear and distinguish a full tone range among bubbles, mixed tone's shades and every hole means less time to leave the area.

My 2 cents...

No, I don't dig It😂

• Like 2

More range is better, but in real life hunting not as much as people think. A big stink always gets raised over this on paper, usually before people even use a detector, as was the case with Equinox, but in actual detecting people find it’s not that big a deal. The ground introduces too many variables, and fine divisions in air tests simply disappear in the soil.

Even with a compressed range, you’d better be digging a numeric range to get any particular coin, like a nickel for instance. Picking one number means missed nickels. That’s even worse with more range, not better. More range also tends to lead to less stability, jumpier numbers. So while I personally will take more numeric range as a preference, I doubt it has much to do at the end of the day with my recovery rate. If I’m after silver, I’ll be digging all targets from below a copper penny reading and higher, not trying to tell a copper penny from a silver dime.

My old CZ worked a treat with just seven possible target bins, and you want to talk target stability… :smile:

Target ID Range vs Target ID Stability

fisher-cz-5-control-panel.jpg

• Like 2