Can't Find Any Info On The Go Terrain App

CPT_GhostLight

I just finished reading the D2 manual... very interesting stuff! But I can't find anything on the Go Terrain App on the XP website. Is it still in the works?

The app was mentioned in one of the D2 videos and it's supposed to not only GPS mark your finds to memorialize their mapped location, but it's also supposed to record telemetry from the D2 with the find.  Probably somewhat akin to the details you can get on a photo with a digital camera, it'll likely record all of the detector settings and the readings on the target when the data's captured.  I'm interested in the app. 

A private individual made a GPS detector logging app, it logs your detecting route and you can record your finds, but it seems to be plagued with GPS tracking bugs. Perhaps XP is running into similar issues, perhaps cellular phone GPS tracking is acceptable for vehicle travel but not pedestrian due to the slow movement, I don't know.

• Like 2

I'm very much interested in the app, but as said above, it's been long on promises, and 100% short on delivery so far.

https://www.xpmetaldetectorsamericas.com/xp-orx:

GO TERRAIN Smart Phone Application
This application for Apple IOS or Android smartphones is designed to optimize your ORX experience. Key features are: Geo-locate, a real time map and the ability to make an inventory of your finds. (Coming soon)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

The app was mentioned in one of the D2 videos and it's supposed to not only GPS mark your finds to memorialize their mapped location, but it's also supposed to record telemetry from the D2 with the find.  Probably somewhat akin to the details you can get on a photo with a digital camera, it'll likely record all of the detector settings and the readings on the target when the data's captured.  I'm interested in the app. 

A private individual made a GPS detector logging app, it logs your detecting route and you can record your finds, but it seems to be plagued with GPS tracking bugs. Perhaps XP is running into similar issues, perhaps cellular phone GPS tracking is acceptable for vehicle travel but not pedestrian due to the slow movement, I don't know.

I use the capable Onx Hunt app for property line determination, gps-based site coverage tracking, finds location logging, and photo documentation of my finds.  So it can be done with a phone app.  XP has had issues for years with outsourcing the development of this app.  Hopefully, they will have the issue licked in time to support the D2, but their track record says otherwise.

• Like 4

I use OnX Hunt for property lines and to mark house locations found on old USGS maps. If I want to log finds I use Tect-O-Trak, but may switch to OnX.

Tect-O-Trak is free, or you can purchase the full version for $5 one time. It records tracks and saves pictures, GPS locations of the finds, and other information. The app allows you to draw boundaries to hunt so you can grid search effectively.

OnX Hunt is not too expensive ($30/year) if you just get the land records of your state. Sometimes property lines are not exact, but you get a good idea of where you can and cannot go. It also helps to locate owners.

• Like 3

I saw it mentioned on page 30 of the Deus II manual, so I thought maybe it was going to come out with the D2. I too use Tect-O-Trak and it works fine, but the Go Terrain App sounded like it would be much better with integration already built into the detector.

GoTerrainApp.jpg

• Like 1

I use the Navionics app. Weather, Tides, Waypoints. Photos isn’t it biggest forte, but I’m not exactly a picture taker. Very curious about the XP App. Hit the button and mark the spot.

Touchscreens and outdoor activities aren’t the best of friends. For the serious stuff I still use a Garmin.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I saw it mentioned on page 30 of the Deus II manual, so I thought maybe it was going to come out with the D2. I too use Tect-O-Trak and it work fine, but the Go Terrain App sounded like it would be much better with integration already built into the detector.

GoTerrainApp.jpg

It’s a fabulous idea for sure. Note though that it says to go to their website for more information, and it’s nowhere to be found. Not a very good sign, so I’m not holding my breath. It’s a perfect example of vaporware.

• Like 1