Lead And Gold Nuggets

mcjtom

2 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

I like man made lead. If I find lots of it in a gold bearing area I know gold is still in the ground. GC

Cant wait for that Minelab GPXRF- 10000 model to hit the market!😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Cant wait for that Minelab GPXRF- 10000 model to hit the market!😁

Given that ML's detector numbering tends to indicate the roll-out price, you need to put a lot bigger number on that model!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i beeped these a long time ago. i believe these are natural lead/silver nuggets.  
the pictures cant seem to show the wire structure i can see in a loop, also they have been rolling around
in a wash, so they are beat up. also i have a small collection of copper nuggets one of them still on the host rock vein.
lead,silver,and copper all oxidize and don't last long. the little .77 gram nugget is from San Domingo, found yesterday.

20211220_094331 (2).jpg

• Like 5

I agree with most of the others who posted, the lead is man made lead.  The Lead detectors the different manufactures sell (I'm a dealer of said desired detectors) are fined tuned machines designed for just that task (finding lead).  I've dug hundreds of pounds of lead with the detectors and they do work well. 

On a rare occasion you might get lucky and find the odd colored lead.  It's usually soft like lead, enjoys getting caught up in cracks, crevices and associated around bedrock.. like lead does, but it's unique color is yellow.  It's name is gold, but as stated above, the lead detectors I've been swinging for 25+ yrs don't find it as frequently and the yellow stuff is very elusive when compared to lead.

When you are finding small lead birdshot, you are doing it right.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

When I used to hunt for gold in North Georgia streams I used a Fisher Gold bug to specifically find lead bird shot or buck shot pellets. Why? They specific gravity of lead pellets and gold are close. So finding corroded (white) lead pellets is a very good locator to where in a stream (in a gold bearing area) to dig the gravels as deep as you can and run them through your sluice and pan the results. Rarely failed for where I use to prospect.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2021 at 1:41 AM, DannyB1954 said:

Both. Lead and gold are often found together along with silver. Mines often produce a number of minerals. They call it a silver mine if that is the greater amount there, same with gold and lead. 

Often you will find brass bullet shells. The lead that was once attached to them is likely there as well, just a bit further away. 

Did anybody publish some approximate ML VIDs for modern bullets and their brass shells?  I imagine that if they are not badly deformed, they should have pretty standard VIDs, similar to coins?  For example, uncorroded .22 brass shells read around 9-10 on Vanquish - a 9 mm shells at about 17.

5 hours ago, mcjtom said:

Did anybody publish some approximate ML VIDs for modern bullets and their brass shells?

Because of their shapes, the ID will vary by orientation.  I don't know if anyone has gone to the trouble of measuring dTID's as a function of orientation -- seems like at best an academic exercise.  I would think both relic hunters and native gold detectorists would be most likely to find them, and those people are averse to discrimination since their targets of interest typically overlap bullets, casings, cartridges... -- the items you ask about.