Dear Minelab.. 20” Coil For Equinox

Interestingly, a 20" Eqx coil was going to be my first coil project for it. I got the donor coil for the pre-amp electronics PCB ages ago, it's just that I have no time to make the thing, life's too complicated ( for me ).
I felt the 20" would be good for non-motion deep target hunting, as well as being still useable in a conventional way.

• Like 3

Minelab's business is NOT coils, its detectors. You'd be better off asking NEL, MARS or Coiltek. 

• Like 2

Great idea but it's already been thought of.  Plus there are to many variables and negatives to a coil of that size on VLF detectors.  If it was that easy and a larger coil of said size was actually doing that much better, I feel they'd already have it.  The larger the coil the easier it is to miss the small targets.  The larger coil on a VLF detector sees so much more ground and if it's mineralized, then that complicates things.  The extra weight of the large coil will cause more lower shaft issues.  Yes there are certain instances for specific kinds of targets a larger coil will do better, but it is not for most folks who own an Equinox.  Don't get me wrong, I love depth, but it comes with a sacrifice and unstable target ID and harder to use in semi trash sites.

Or you could use your GPX-5000 you already own and get much greater depth than an EQ with a 20" coil.

Although, it is Christmas season so ask away ask away and just maybe we'll see, said Dasher, said Dancer, Blitzen and me.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

Dear Minelab.. 

I really don't think you meant Minelab as you should be asking Santa for such a thing.

You would get better odds of getting one by asking Santa than you would Minelab.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'd imagine the coil ears would last about 30 minutes on a 20" coil.   For me 15" round is as big as I'd want a VLF coil, unfortunately results from the Coiltek 15" Nox coil don't seem too compelling to buy one, with most saying the standard 15x12" performs just as well on deep targets.  Makes you think the coils already reach the depth the detector can go, and the benefits to a bigger coil just aren't there so I'd prefer the width of a coil that maxes out detection depth in an elliptical shape for more ground coverage, something like a 18x14" or whatever size maxes out depth.

• Like 5

Why spend time and money making coils almost nobody would buy? One that might actually lose depth instead of gaining it in bad ground? There is a reason you don’t see oversized coils offered for nearly all VLF detectors, as large coils are more the realm of PI than VLF. Sorry Eric, but it won’t happen from normal sources.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to Dear Minelab.. 20” Coil For Equinox
12 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Sorry Eric, but it won’t happen from normal sources.

Oh no! that's bad news and just before Xmas too.. my dream of a 20" beach coil has been well and truly shattered.. I just needed something that punches a bit deeper on the beach than the largest Coiltek and Minelab coils, as I'm sure there's deeper silver coins in a few places.. An Equinox coil made for use on wet and dry sand and large enough so you can cover long stretches of beach more efficiently and faster.. If coil manufactures came up with a clever name for such a coil (I'd go for 'Beach Monster') I'm still sure they'd be on a winner.. 😁

On 12/21/2021 at 12:31 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Or you could use your GPX-5000 you already own and get much greater depth than an EQ with a 20" coil.

I do use my GPX-5000 on the beach with a DD 16 x 12" coil.. It does punch deep and is surprisingly stable even in wet sand but I like the target ID on the Nox as 24-26 are nearly always Australian pre-decimal silver coins, it just saves a lot of digging.. Some of the coins I'm after are on lawns that run alongside the beaches, where I can't dig great big holes (compared to the beach).. 😃   

• Like 3

15 hours ago, phrunt said:

unfortunately results from the Coiltek 15" Nox coil don't seem too compelling to buy one, with most saying the standard 15x12" performs just as well on deep targets

I've found the same.. it doesn't punch any deeper on my local beaches.. 

• Like 2

I think 15" is getting beyond the point it's effective on a VLF based upon my testing so a 20" would have far more negatives than positives, even my 15" Teknetics T2 coil is no better than my 13" coil for deep coins with my T2.   I guess coming from a PI where the bigger the coil the deeper it'd hit larger targets rule doesn't apply to VLF's.  The 15x12" Nox coil is my go to coil where I want reliable target ID's on deep coins for the Nox.    For the ultimate depth and Target ID on coins in my ground type nothing beats the CTX 3030 with 17x13" Coil.  An expensive price to pay for you to get that bit more depth on your beaches and who knows how deep it'd be in your conditions but for me it's the clear winner for silver coins at depth in my field type areas I detect. 

Like you I prefer Target ID information for my digs so my GPX even though deeper is used far less often for deep coin hunting even though I know it destroys all of my other detectors for depth.  A world with a Target ID system on a PI would be an absolute game changer enough to bring retired detectorists out of retirement 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1