Dear Minelab.. 20” Coil For Equinox

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

A world with a Target ID system on a PI would be an absolute game changer enough to bring retired detectorists out of retirement 🙂

As long as they still have enough strength and stamina to dig deep holes.  For my sake I hope it happens soon....

• Like 3

On 12/22/2021 at 7:18 AM, phrunt said:

or the ultimate depth and Target ID on coins in my ground type nothing beats the CTX 3030 with 17x13" Coil

I'd happily settle for a 17 x 13'' coil for the Equinox.. I was a bit surprised Coiltek didn't jump on the chance to make a bigger coil for the Nox.. I guess you're spot on with the 15" coil getting beyond the point of its effectiveness in most locations.. but I still wonder if a bigger coil would work on the beach as the mineralization doesn't change much (even between wet and dry sand).. and in the Beach Mode (1 or 2) you'd still have accurate target IDs..      

• Like 1

That's because you're on a coral sand beach, you have ideal beach conditions for deep detecting when it comes to beaches 🙂 It's a wonder Minelab haven't considered a 17x13" for the Nox seeing they have the coil for the CTX so it wouldn't be a massive expense to make it.  They do like keep their detectors as far apart from each other as they can though.  I doubt we'll see another coil from Minelab for the Equinox, we're more likely to get an Equinox 1000 than another coil.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

It's a wonder Minelab haven't considered a 17x13" for the Nox seeing they have the coil for the CTX so it wouldn't be a massive expense to make it.

Remember these guys? FOXMD a Russian coil maker.. at least for a while they were promising bigger and smaller coils for the Equinox but you had to send them a coil to get the chip and cable fitted.. 

http://foxmd.ru/ 

download.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes, I was very interested in it and was going to do it but the coils never went on sale from what I can see except for really early release ones when they first did it.  Perhaps they thought the adapter was too difficult with the way the chip was mounted in the coil.  I can't imagine it was an easy process to recover the chip.

IMG_20190502_174547.thumb.jpg.923f5c65d301093c7eecca3d02a9a5ad.jpg

They do get it out though and are able to wire the coil up to one of their own cables to use on the adapter.

IMG_20190503_103558.thumb.jpg.54626af51d15d1e5df69afff5a5373b4.jpgIMG_20190517_160739.thumb.jpg.ae4cc6738cbfde57bc1a83b7325a86fc.jpg

From there they were able to make coils for it using the chip as an adapter

IMG_20190517_160807.thumb.jpg.ccefd5605f17f7621c6729d73b23918b.jpg

IMG_20190517_160919.thumb.jpg.adf395ee691c555e05103541dc0e4aa9.jpgIMG_20190517_161300.thumb.jpg.e37c5c5c62bfa0bbd74f663bb7dc2ae3.jpgIMG_20190517_160846.thumb.jpg.4a20259fd0837fef1d773fee50dcfbcf.jpg

It's a shame it never took off, I would have given it a shot.  Maybe it just never stacked up financially for them to do it, Equinox coils are reasonably cheap so there isn't a huge amount of room for a decent profit to make it viable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, phrunt said:

It's a shame it never took off, I would have given it a shot. 

I did contact them by email.. they said they'd let me know when they were ready to make new coils for the Equinox.. they never did.. I was already after a bigger beach coil back then, they seemed to be able to fill a market gap for both smaller and larger Nox coils.. you're dead right, shame it never took off.. I was also ready to send them a spare coil to get the size I wanted.. If only to try a larger coil and see if it really made a difference or not.. I had a spare 11" coil which I was more than willing to sacrifice in the experiment.. 😁

• Like 2

Dear Minelab, 

I've had a bit of a rethink about the 20" beach coil.. just make it 17".. that'll keep the doubters happy (those who say 15'' is pushing things) and it just about meets my needs (although I'd be happier with an 18").. 

I've also had a bit of a rethink about the name.. there's still time to change it from 'Beach Monster' to 'Deep Beach Beast'.. this rolls of the tongue nicely.. Equinox DBB Coil.. the crowd will go wild! 

Thanks again for your excellent customer service.. I love how you listen to everyone, no matter how few detectors or coils they've bought from you.. I also love your quick response, it makes my innovative ideas seem valued and respected.. 

So, just knock-off a couple of inches and rename the thing.. Win/Win..

Best regards,

Erik 

Ps. please pass this message to Coiltek.. we also need to stoke a fire under their arse.. 

• Haha 4

I just emailed foxmd.ru and they replied next day. Seems they still do this but didn’t provide cost estimates so I emailed back for cost etc.  no reply yet. I haven’t found a coil to sacrifice for this yet -  each one I get just has a fixable broken tab…

• Like 1