Whites MX Sport Prospecting Mode For All Uses

Guest Paul (Ca)

I agree for sure bowwinkles. It is like the manufacturers put as little information as possible in a manual to help beginners in particular. Some manuals have some great technical information but very little or no information at all about metal detecting in general.

• Like 1

I went back to my Lost Treasure mag. to read what Andy Sabisch said about the MX Sport again. I've always said swing your coil low and slow and that's what I done rereading his report.

The main thing I read is the stock coil may have it's place but not necessary the best one to have a more true ID. The 6 x 10  DD elliptical and the 9.5 concentric coil would be more inline for us coin hunters.

White's I know likes to send out their detectors with the large coils. Most people that coin hunt know they will need a smaller coil and they do what White's wants. They buy one. Here you put out a large sum of money to buy the detector and yet it's not complete. You can't tell me a company like White's don't know this.

I've said this before that I don't want it free but offer it at the time I buy the detector. I don't want to be detecting later and find out the coil is not doing the job for me. Then have to sit and wait to get the one I needed in the first place. Why does it take a company out of the US to do it right the first time!

Chuck

• Like 1

Steve and Bowwinkles, you guys have hit the nail on the head with your opinions of the labeling of detector modes. The practical functions of a detector described by you folks who test and extensively use them in real world situations is truly helpful to me, a novice by comparison. 

Mike

On 3/8/2016 at 6:21 PM, Paul (Ca) said:

These two modes are great especially Prospecting mode and can be tweaked to operate like a hot MXT. With turning off VCO, the prospecting mode turns into MXT mode and using SAT the operater increase recovery.

Any of you having an MX Sport try these settings, go to Prospecting mode. Then, turn off VCO, then bump up SAT between 4 to 5. Iron grunt always stays locked on, even when selecting off in case you see this. What you have with these settings is MXT performance yet faster recovery speed and more depth.

I expect to be buying an MX Sport next week Paul and will give your settings a try by the end of next week. I hold your experience and opinions in the highest regard and so really appreciate you taking the time to post here.

Guest Paul (Ca)

That's great Steve, as long as you stay with Prospecting mode you'll enjoy the MX Sport.

Got out yesterday for an hour before work, hunted an old school 1870-1890 era. We've clobbered the site with every detector imaginible, now its hard to get an old coin from here. Earlier, Was sharing to use Prospecting mode with VCO OFF and SAT 4 to 5. These are great settings for park hunting, but for areas laced with iron like yesterday's hunt SAT needs to be maxed out to 6.

The MX Sport with these settings worked great! Did get an old coin, but it's either an Indian or wheat Penny. Can't tell, afraid to clean it it'll crumble. The coin went through a fire, the school house burned down sometime after 1890.

Also compared the assigned Relic mode with my settings using prospecting mode VCO OFF SAT at 6.....No comparison, hands down Prospecting mode with VCO off was much better for Relic hunting. Faster recovery, shorter snappier 2-tone MXT performance.

I'm off this weekend, trying to get up in gold country for a Relic hunt. Have a family emergency at the moment, which keeps me nearby during my days off. Hard to get away for a day, maybe this weekeed.

Looking forward to your opinions on the settings I've been using with the MX Sport.

Thanks Steve!

Paul