My Trip To The Mojave Desert

Would you leave some of that for the rest of us?  Nice finds, beautiful photos, and nice writeup. Thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

I spent a few days in that region back in the GPX-4500 era, so I know any gold detected in that environment is hard won indeed, GC, so kudos to you. My weapon of choice in those days was a 14” round DD “phase” coil that eliminated most of the volcanics in the region, yet retained remarkable sensitivity and depth, even on small nuggets. I suspect that the DD coil on the GPX 6000 may perform similarly in the EMI Cancel mode. Most of the gold I found were small pickers, but I was fortunate enough to swing over a 1/4-ounce lump. Even so, the real highlight of the trip was hanging out with local legendary nuggetshooters Jim Straight and his sidekick Jerry “Sandtrap” Balcer. Again, good job on the gold, GC!

5F18BF9F-BFF5-43B0-A107-1348A5DC7485.jpeg.b5ecd4306dfd56aff7bb378c0baa74fc.jpeg

4AF35A49-21B8-40BA-9D0C-EE3992BDD6C3.jpeg.5727297abb264d0cccd0ef80336fc943.jpeg

390256B3-4EC5-4C2D-9EBD-2F743796EE43.jpeg.ece291a7417f5b71068553273c4dbaaf.jpeg

F59934AD-8AF1-48CB-B56F-F1BCF25F1CA5.jpeg.8bec805407bdb3e63d6084db40e2ef42.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Lunk said:

I spent a few days in that region back in the GPX-4500 era, so I know any gold detected in that environment is hard won indeed, GC, so kudos to you. My weapon of choice in those days was a 14” round DD “phase” coil that eliminated most of the volcanics in the region, yet retained remarkable sensitivity and depth, even on small nuggets. I suspect that the DD coil on the GPX 6000 may perform similarly in the EMI Cancel mode. Most of the gold I found were small pickers, but I was fortunate enough to swing over a 1/4-ounce lump. Even so, the real highlight of the trip was hanging out with local legendary nuggetshooters Jim Straight and his sidekick Jerry “Sandtrap” Balcer. Again, good job on the gold, GC!

Thanks a lot, Lunk! Great advice and Wow! that's some really nice gold you found. Now I am all fired up to go right back there. I will definitely give the 14DD a try as you suggested, thanks for that. And what a great pic with you and Jim! I totally envy you. Unfortunately, I never met him. Bill keeps telling me what a great mentor he was to him and I for sure know that he was a living legend. 

Best,

GC

• Like 1

Thanks for the post Gold Catcher, it's good to see you doing prospecting trip posts, nice photos too.

That sounds like terrain well suited to a GPX 4500/5000 with a DD coil, that's something missing out of your excellent range of detectors, how does the SDC handle the crazy hot rocks in that area?

Your junk/pellet vs gold ratio is great, I wish that was my ratio on the average day prospecting 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Thanks for the post Gold Catcher, it's good to see you doing prospecting trip posts, nice photos too.

That sounds like terrain well suited to a GPX 4500/5000 with a DD coil, that's something missing out of your excellent range of detectors, how does the SDC handle the crazy hot rocks in that area?

Your junk/pellet vs gold ratio is great, I wish that was my ratio on the average day prospecting 🙂

Thanks, Simon. The GPX 4.5/5 with the DD coil is a definitely a good suggestion, thanks for that. Yeah I should have the 4500/5000 in my arsenal, also because of the huge coil selection. My first PI was the SDC and then later I had the choice between the 5000 and the 7000, so I chose the latter. But I of course know what and excellent performer the older GPX series has been. My hope is that more coil options will come available for the 6000 soon, but the 14DD suggestion is definitely a interesting one that I will try. I haven't used the SDC there yet, my guess is that for serious hot rock laden areas it will equally struggle. Where the SDC shines (IMO) is in mineralized shallow ground with somewhat less centralized mineralization, meaning in areas with not truly mass-centered hot rocks but rather with somewhat scattered general mineralization, like in many washes above bedrock. Thanks for commenting on my trip report. You certainly are a great inspiration in this regard and I always enjoy your awesome stories/reports/pics.

Best,

GC 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

Nice trip with some reward for your time.

Thanks, Valens L. To be honest, even without any gold it would have been rewarding. Just being out there in this majestic landscape is worth the trip 🙂

GC

• Like 5