My Trip To The Mojave Desert

19 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

Thanks, Simon. The GPX 4.5/5 with the DD coil is a definitely a good suggestion, thanks for that. Yeah I should have the 4500/5000 in my arsenal, also because of the huge coil selection. My first PI was the SDC and then later I had the choice between the 5000 and the 7000, so I chose the latter. But I of course know what and excellent performer the older GPX series has been. My hope is that more coil options will come available for the 6000 soon, but the 14DD suggestion is definitely a interesting one that I will try. I haven't used the SDC there yet, my guess is that for serious hot rock laden areas it will equally struggle. Where the SDC shines (IMO) is in mineralized shallow ground with somewhat less centralized mineralization, meaning in areas with not truly mass-centered hot rocks but rather with somewhat scattered general mineralization, like in many washes above bedrock. Thanks for commenting on my trip report. You certainly are a great inspiration in this regard and I always enjoy your awesome stories/reports/pics.

Best,

GC 

Actually,  for reasons unknown to me,  my SDC  seems to do better than most detectors in the area.  It  will sometimes ignore the smaller pieces of andesite and basalt when going over my drywasher tailing piles.  But the bigger volcanics....forget it!

• Like 2

Gold Catcher..what "side" of the mountains were you on, the Garlock/Randsburg side or the Schmidt Burro tunnel side? Both sides are interesting, the tunnel side has large talc mines you can walk in. I'm told that at one time a trolly system was put up to take the talc down to the valley. Also there are old buildings the BLM hasn't torn down yet (like they are won't to do)  that are interesting. One, called the "rock house" is way up on a peak with a killer view of the valley below. Of course the tunnel, the old post office etc. And quite a few multi level mines..most all of which the BLM have closed off.

If you come down again I would take you as a guest to where I found my nugget in return for 1/2 hour with the 6000. The area I found the nugget has also has produced several 1 ounces. Don't think my EQ800 can compete with the 6000 unless the gold is shallow. Still debating buying a 6000 next year when I am eligible for another military discount. BUT.. as you say the hot rocks are a concern,,I'd like to see in person how it does. Best to you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

Just curious if anyone has run the Garrett Goldmaster 24K in this area and if so how it performed.

That's be interesting to know as I find here the Garrett 24k performs very well in hot rock areas compared to my other VLFs.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, aerospace guy said:

PS: Almost forgot..my last trip out a month ago I met & camped with the geologist who is "painting" everything red out there on the Garlock side. He is snatching up expired claims for a Las Vegas investor who plans to mine them. Vet interesting!

Those investors often hold onto the claims and sell stock in them to unsuspecting investors here in the US and also to foreigners. Then they claim bankruptcy or sell everything for a profit and disappear.  When I used to do consulting work, we did a environmental analysis for a mining venture out ‘there’ that was funded by foreign investors. The LLC running it closed their operation and tried to walk away from their bills and investors. We put a lien on the claims for our bill and were finally paid when someone else wanted to buy their claims.

Corporations with no intention of actually using their claims are merely speculating real estate salesmen. They can legally snatch up many claims and large tracts of open public land and hold them, essentially using them for other types of profit not originally intended by the mining law of 1872.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, phrunt said:

That's be interesting to know as I find here the Garrett 24k performs very well in hot rock areas compared to my other VLFs.

I am planning to do just that! 😉

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Lunk said:

Even so, the real highlight of the trip was hanging out with local legendary nuggetshooters Jim Straight and his sidekick Jerry “Sandtrap” Balcer.

I had some hilarious times years ago with Sandtrap. I know you know what I mean Lunk.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aerospace guy said:

Gold Catcher..what "side" of the mountains were you on, the Garlock/Randsburg side or the Schmidt Burro tunnel side? Both sides are interesting, the tunnel side has large talc mines you can walk in. I'm told that at one time a trolly system was put up to take the talc down to the valley. Also there are old buildings the BLM hasn't torn down yet (like they are won't to do)  that are interesting. One, called the "rock house" is way up on a peak with a killer view of the valley below. Of course the tunnel, the old post office etc. And quite a few multi level mines..most all of which the BLM have closed off.

If you come down again I would take you as a guest to where I found my nugget in return for 1/2 hour with the 6000. The area I found the nugget has also has produced several 1 ounces. Don't think my EQ800 can compete with the 6000 unless the gold is shallow. Still debating buying a 6000 next year when I am eligible for another military discount. BUT.. as you say the hot rocks are a concern,,I'd like to see in person how it does. Best to you!

Hi Aerospace guy, thanks for the nice offer. Sounds good and I will take you up on it the next time I am down there (perhaps already next week, I will PM you). Whatever I find we will make half/half, deal? And of course, you can try the 6000 for as long as you like. You will find it to be a true masterpiece and worth every penny. The weather up here in the Motherlode is awful so I will be a frequent visitor in SoCal over the winter. I will then also tell you were the location was.

GC  

• Like 2