Deus 2 Vdi Numbers

Rrnp

• The title was changed to Deus 2 Vdi Numbers

I certainly hope so or my brain will hurt.

If you mean that (for example) a quarter rings up at 92 on the deus II in the general program it’ll ring up that same number in the other programs, then yes.  

If you mean that the nox and deus II ring up the same number on the same item, then no.  The vdi scale on the nox goes from -9 to 40.  The vdi scale on the deus II goes from -6.4 to 99.  (If I’m remembering correctly)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

If you mean that (for example) a quarter rings up at 92 on the deus II in the general program it’ll ring up that same number in the other programs, then yes.  

If you mean that the nox and deus II ring up the same number on the same item, then no.  The vdi scale on the nox goes from -9 to 40.  The vdi scale on the deus II goes from -6.4 to 99.  (If I’m remembering correctly)

Thanks NCtoad. The first part of your answer is what I needed. The Deus is like a foreign language to me but I’m going to get one and learn it. 

• Like 1

I am not trying to confuse things but it is really easy for me to get confused.

I have read through the Deus ll manual three times. No where do I see a reference to an adjustment that could be done on the Deus 1 which was ID normalization  ON........every target ID no matter what frequency is being used will register a target ID that corresponds to target IDs for 18 kHz and ID normalization OFF......the higher the frequency the higher the target ID.

There was this one slightly confusing paragraph in the manual (for me anyway) in the Display Target ID section....

One of the advantages and special features of Deus ll is its programs, as they use different combinations  of simultaneous frequencies while adapting to multiple ground types (see Programs) However, a few ferromagnetic targets will generate specific displays on certain programs. These targets cannot be generalized due to their ferrous components, otherwise there will be a risk of falsifying the display of all the other targets. E.g. one or two euro coins (ferromagnetic ring + copper center) will display 75 in the Diving and Relic programs but 80 in all the other programs. Diving and Relic use fairly low detecting frequencies from about 4 to 13 kHz, whereas the others include higher frequencies such as 40 kHz.

So people in countries with steel core currency may experience this issue. Otherwise, hopefully the real answer is yes all target IDs are normalized to some frequency (18kHz???) no matter what program or frequency whether simultaneous multi frequency or single frequency unless you are in the Diving or Relic program referenced above.;

6 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

So hopefully the real answer is yes all target IDs are normalized to some frequency (18kHz???) no matter what program or frequency whether simultaneous multi frequency or single frequency unless you are in the Diving or Relic program referenced above.;

Short Answer: Yes.  The TIDs are normalized and will display the same for all modes, frequencies, and coils.

Longer Answer With Too Much Deus I Information: I confirmed with Andy Sabisch that Deus II normalizes target ID's across the board regardless of mode. frequency, or coil used.  Presumably normalized to the equivalent of what Deus I displayed TIDs as when operating in 18 khz or with the Target ID Normalization setting selected to "On".

But, unlike Deus I, there is no Deus II user setting option to turn off this behavior.  But from the looks of things with Deus II, there should be no need to do so either because of less susceptibility to ferrous falsing, wraparound, ferrous down-averaging, and being fooled by bottlecaps.   Use of the Deus I feature option to use non-normalized target IDs where non-ferrous TIDs increased with increasing operating frequency, was utilized as target interrogation trick to differentiate true non-ferrous targets from high TID ferrous targets whose target ID either did not change or decreased with increased frequency as users could change mode frequency on the fly.  This was useful for bottlecaps and falsing nails.

Even more useless Deus I information:  The ID Normalization option feature setting is not available for the HF coils.  So without normalization, all the higher conductor TIDs are jammed into the 90's since no TID can exceed the upper limit of 99.

Orx rectified this situation because like Deus II, Target ID Normalization is always invoked regardless of mode, frequency, or coil (HF or x35).  But then again on Orx you couldn't do the ferrous check using the Deus I frequency change trick.

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I am not trying to confuse things but it is really easy for me to get confused.

I have read through the Deus ll manual three times. No where do I see a reference to an adjustment that could be done on the Deus 1 which was ID normalization  ON........every target ID no matter what frequency is being used will register a target ID that corresponds to target IDs for 18 kHz and ID normalization OFF......the higher the frequency the higher the target ID.

There was this one slightly confusing paragraph in the manual (for me anyway) in the Display Target ID section....

One of the advantages and special features of Deus ll is its programs, as they use different combinations  of simultaneous frequencies while adapting to multiple ground types (see Programs) However, a few ferromagnetic targets will generate specific displays on certain programs. These targets cannot be generalized due to their ferrous components, otherwise there will be a risk of falsifying the display of all the other targets. E.g. one or two euro coins (ferromagnetic ring + copper center) will display 75 in the Diving and Relic programs but 80 in all the other programs. Diving and Relic use fairly low detecting frequencies from about 4 to 13 kHz, whereas the others include higher frequencies such as 40 kHz.

So people in countries with steel core currency may experience this issue. Otherwise, hopefully the real answer is yes all target IDs are normalized to some frequency (18kHz???) no matter what program or frequency whether simultaneous multi frequency or single frequency unless you are in the Diving or Relic program referenced above.;

Thanks Jeff.  I had read that, but had forgotten about it.  Probably because because my conscious brain knows that I hardly ever have to worry about digging a steel and copper coin here in NC so my subconscious erased it from my memory.  Lol

• Like 1