Deus 2 Vs Deus 1 Vs Equinox 800

1 hour ago, midalake said:

As a long time hunter, performance is #1.  Weight is of the machine is WAY down the checklist.  

If performance is #1 for you , then you should consider the D2 because it looks like it outperforms the Equinox in the irons 🙂  .... Concerning depth , the D2 and Equinox perfos will probably be similar, to be confirmed in the field

From my standpoint I need a fast and reactive machine in the irons , which can also goes deep on clean soils , and comfortable to sweep .  This is why I am interested by the D2 

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

First for Palzynski, in my personal and experienced opinion the only configuration using the Deus 1, ORX (haven't touched a Deus 2 yet but assume it is similar) that is truly and wonderfully ergonomic is with 9" round or elliptical coils. Using an 11" or larger coil..........I get arm and wrist pain fairly quickly due to most of the weight being in the bigger coil which makes the detector nose heavy. So weight is relative to the coil being used and how balance is distributed in the detector design.

I agree I only use a 9" and the 11X6" on my Deus WS4 I dont like the 11".  Then I am going for a D2 with the 9" coil set .

• The title was changed to Deus 2 Vs Deus 1 Vs Equinox 800
5 hours ago, Seiko said:

So here is my thinking if you own a dues 1 . why spend £1400 on a dues 2 just buy a second hand nox 800 as i expect the prices will drop when the dues 2 is available, you have all the benefits of the dues 2 and a back up detector,
Or if you own a Eqinox just buy a second hand dues 1 as the prices have come down already, or if you want all the advantages of the Dues 1 and the equinox 800 in one package get the Duers2.  Just my thought on this

It’s Deus, not Dues. I fixed the title, but will leave editing your post up to you. Upper right, three little dots, choose “edit”

Yes, many people like owning both a Deus and an Equinox. Not uncommon at all. Some however would like the best of both in one detector. It’s all about having different options to suit different people, not force everyone to do the same thing.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Just simple physics.

I much prefer to find my solutions in complicated physics myself.  :biggrin:  This discussion has prompted me to investigate Park 2 now.  If ML had just given us more user selectable storage options (more than one, that is) and made it easier to use them.  The N/M Legend literature says it will have 4.  I can't remember the exact number for XP Deus II and I'm too lazy to look it up, but my recollection is that it's in the double digits!  I don't know whether to attribute that to their reading these forums (where many others besides I have lamented) or it's just an example of "great minds think alike."  :unsure: 😉

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I love this topic since I get to argue with just about everybody on this one especially Chase.

:biggrin:

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

So, either I am stupid, I have a giant misconception of the laws of physics or there is something going on inside the Equinox in Multi and hopefully the Deus 2 using FMF that defies the laws of physics.

Assuming all the reference targets are similarly sized coins.

The baseline physics assumption is mild ground, high conductive target, low frequency waveform will result in the maximum detection depth overall.

For the same target, in the same ground, as you increase frequency the maximum detection depth decreases.

If you change out the high conductive coin for a mid conductive gold coin, but keep frequency low, your will likely not be able to detect it as deep as the high conductive coin because the induced magnetic field amplitude will be lower than if you hit it with a higher frequency.  You might be able detect it deeper with a higher frequency but still not as deep as the "silver" high conductor.  But now you are dealing with competing effects the lower "penetration" of the HF waveform vs. the increased responsiveness of the gold coin to the HF waveform vs. the LF waveform.  Since we are talking fractions of an inch, the "what is the deeper mode" question starts to become hard to answer.

Throw in junk target density and Masking plays a major role, separation is key and higher frequencies tend to separate better.

Now throw mineralization into the mix and it's almost like any outcome is possible.  Mineralization changes the model and puts even more competing uncertainty into outcome because it in itself acts like a target that cannot be completely compensated for via ground balance.  That is why higher end detectors use adjustment tricks like "salt balance", "salt sensitvity, and transmit power reduction (as differentiated from sensitivity reduction") like in the Nox Beach Modes, to deal with mineralization and black sand since simple ground balancing is insufficient.  

So, Jeff, I am not surprised you are seeing better ID detection depth with the HF modes, even for high conductive targets, in your mineralized dirt, because the "in general" assumptions go out the window at that point because there are too many competing factors that go into the complex depth equation.  I woukd like to know whether you think the Nox maximum detection depth for any target is greater than it would be in mild dirt?  That would be a situation where I would start to question the basic principles of the applicable science and conventional wisdom.

In your mineralized "world", what you are observing doesn't mean the laws of physics don't apply, it just means when mineralization is involved, the magnetic waveform distortions that result make for a more complex physics model that cannot be predicted using simple thumb rules and approximations.  I think multi is not magic but just another variable that muddies the complex waters of induction balance detecting resulting in uncertain or surprising outcomes unless you actually had all the data and could do the complex math to predict those outcomes.

• Thanks 2

Chase, you are definitely “The Man”.  

I just hope that Deus 2’s FMF technology can equal or better Multi IQ in the areas I hunt.

Five years ago, after watching many online videos showing the Deus 1 finding deep targets in European conditions, I blindly figured I would get the same results here where I detect. Boy was I wrong and I seriously doubted my sanity, was there something wrong with my Deus 1 and had I totally wasted my hard-earned money. I could care less how ergonomic Deus 1 was or how high tech/wireless it was. It just didn’t work any better than my F19 besides having faster recovery speed and felt better on the arm.

The Equinox changed everything for me and basically instead of being disappointed, I was shocked at how well it performed here and continues to impress with depth, target ID all the way down to near the depth of detection, surprisingly good performance in iron compared to most other detectors other than Deus and its versatility and ability to handle just about any soil conditions.

I would like to at least buy a Deus 2 Lite. However, I don’t want another big disappointment like I had with Deus 1 aside from using it for relic hunting in thick iron trash and for prospecting.

• Like 3

This is a good discussion...I seen it mentioned by someone here long ago  that Field 2 was the deepest mode for what ever they were looking for so naturally I buried 7 targets at different depths in my west coast sandy loam lower elevation soil and low and behold Field 2 did appear to hit the deeper targets better....From what I understand that the "magic" in the equinox Multi IQ is in the processing of the frequencies of the signals returning to the detector rather than the frequency's of the signals emitted by the detector? at any rate the you can take out one of the variables that complicates things...the ground and simply do air tests to see what hits deeper...gold mods always win in that environment...just sayin......

The Deus 2 in relic mode seems to be similar to the  equinox in gold mode? inquiring minds want to know...I'm not able to keep up with all these posts lol 

strick

My experience with air tests vs. ground tests with Minelab machines, is that they don't air test well. I get much more depth in mild ground (especially damp ground) than I do with an air test.

• Like 1