Conserving Detected Dug Coins & Relics

I have found Copper based artifacts to be the trickiest to clean. A LONG soak in distilled water with careful toothpicking is my standard. Hydrogen peroxide for any final finish work is safe for Copper. You can let it soak until it stops bubbling & do it again if needed. Navel/Aluminum jelly is harsh on Copper or Nickel but works well if used carefully on gilt, and works great on Aluminum. There really are no set best procedures, each piece is different & environmental damage will still be there. I'm still experimenting.

• Like 3

@Zincoln  What is the Acidmagic marketed for in the hardware stores? I have not seen that brand name locally.

• Like 1

I believe it's "Certol International Acid Magic" , aimed at swimming pool cleaning:
https://www.certol.com/landingpages/acidmagichome/

The safety data sheets give little insight into it's chemical composition, other than hydrochloric acid plus 'trade  secret mystery ingredients', which are certainly what chemists call 'buffers'.

Despite their 'International' name, their products seem limited to US and Canada. So no chance of finding it here in the U.K.

( domestic pools are not common, here, either, so finding an equivalent could be tricky)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PimentoUK said:

I believe it's "Certol International Acid Magic"

At Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/CERTOL-INTERNATIONAL-USA-128-1-Replacement/dp/B000KKQ8LA/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=acid+magic&qid=1640812364&sr=8-4

• Like 1

You should be able to get muriatic acid at a drugstore as well. 🙂

You guys nailed it with the above description.  I use it for cleaning masonry.  Muriatic (or hydrochloric) acid.  They don't give you the dilutions or any extra added components on the labels.  Believe I've been using it undiluted for cleaning.

Zincoln

20211229_134644.jpg

20211229_134720.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 12/29/2021 at 7:08 AM, JCR said:

I have found Copper based artifacts to be the trickiest to clean. A LONG soak in distilled water with careful toothpicking is my standard. Hydrogen peroxide for any final finish work is safe for Copper. You can let it soak until it stops bubbling & do it again if needed. Navel/Aluminum jelly is harsh on Copper or Nickel but works well if used carefully on gilt, and works great on Aluminum. There really are no set best procedures, each piece is different & environmental damage will still be there. I'm still experimenting.

Howdy JCR I have been wanting to try a new and diffirent approach to cleaning up some recently dug flower and military buttons that still retain considerable gilt.Did you settle on and can you recommend any particular brand of Navel/Aluminum jelly? Any advice would be appreciated thanks, DB.

The brand my local Ace Hardware carries is Loctite.  

On gilt, I would try lemon juice first after gently cleaning off any dirt. The Navel Jelly as a last resort on stubborn ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1