New Detectors And Early Adopters

You can blame me if you want klunker. I volunteer to be the guy to blame things on!

Seriously, I think this is a big issue. Some of it is perception though. Go back and look at a detector from the 1980's if you think anything made now has ergonomic issues. Those things were made to ruin wrists and arms! Our expectations are higher now in that regard.

But it does seem that when they wired up a simple analog circuit it either worked or not. Detectors came out and that was that. No fuss really, but maybe it was the lack of internet communications also. I was an isolated guy in Alaska buying detectors and had no way to compare notes with people.

The new detectors work largely as software programs and are pretty complicated. Changing one thing has unforeseen side effects elsewhere. Software bugs often take an odd combination of control settings to be revealed. Worse, prototypes can pass all the tests, but then when a chip gets outsourced for manufacturing maybe a new bug gets introduced, and does not get caught. There are just a lot more ways to make a mistake these days.

Anyway, due to the focus here on the latest and greatest I just wanted to get it out there that people should not feel left out getting the newest machines immediately and in fact there is wisdom in waiting these days. Rarely will any new VLF detector in particular really be any better than what we already have. Unless it has a new patent number attached no reason to get all that excited over new detectors as I do not think basic capability changes much, just bells and whistles. It may all be fun and certainly keeps the forum buzzing, but not worth all the angst I see at times. These are just metal detectors, not pacemakers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You are right, of course, new detectors have inherent risks. 

I learned the "being first is risky lesson" with GS5...while i will always have a couple of names on my nasty list...I certainly admit that my greedy lust to have an edge and be a trail blazer caused me to ignore your sound advice and the sensible advice of others...

Still, I jumped on the GPZ right away...I do not regret that one bit. So, sometimes it works out and other times you take your lumps and move on...

fred

• Like 3

About component problems, yep it happens quite consistently amongst all manufacturers.

But waiting 6 months I cannot do. The engineers and testers really have to get outside more!

Nearly all of the problems we are finding with units could have been addressed well before release.

I mean, these are educated people making simple electronics on nice budgets. Or are they really savant's that are so overendowed with genius that they cannot tie their own shoelaces or take one of their own designed detectors out for a real world hunt.

• Like 2

I belonged to the cautious lot, now in hindsight I should have got the 2000 when it first came out, did not make that mistake with the Z, ordered months before it was available. With the Z it is magic and have no dramas with it other then the antiquated GPS, but even that is understandable as it seems very few operators have utilized the power of a GPS & mapping software as a prospecting tool, thus ML had no "yardstick" . Hopefully all gold detectors of the future will follow there with both the GPS, mapping screen and Wireless. Wireless is not a luxury it is a must for me.

CAVEAT EMPTOR! 

If you don't read that and understand then you don't deserve to own anything less than a day old or a hundred years old.  Generally speaking its called personal responsibility for yourself and for what you buy into.  There is no such thing as snake oil, just the fools who believe in it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, argyle said:

About component problems, yep it happens quite consistently amongst all manufacturers.

But waiting 6 months I cannot do. The engineers and testers really have to get outside more!

Nearly all of the problems we are finding with units could have been addressed well before release.

I mean, these are educated people making simple electronics on nice budgets. Or are they really savant's that are so overendowed with genius that they cannot tie their own shoelaces or take one of their own designed detectors out for a real world hunt.

I absolutely 100% totally agree! Does not change reality however. I don't worry about experienced people like you argyle - you know the score. It is the complete newbies, casual users, or people for whom that purchase is a real stretch of a budget that need to be more careful.

To be an early adopter you have to enjoy the new product process. All new products have their bugs and edge-cases that make version V1.0 an adventure. The critical test is whether the company will stand behind its products and support its early customers. Minelab has been good to me and I have seen good support from most of the majors. I do however get annoyed with companies over-hyping their new products. That's why I really like this forum where the balanced truth comes out.

I do wait for yall to be guinee pigs,lol. And thank you guys for doing so. Funny thing is, at this moment I have found my perfect detector...the Deus. Just waiting for that eliptical coil, and I will be first in line for that. 

I enjoy reading about all the new detectors coming out, and its fun watching Steve and others reviews, but for the first time, I really am satisfied with what I have.

• Like 5