New Detectors And Early Adopters

Being on the cutting edge of technology will draw blood from your poke!  I swung VLF's for years before I bought a GP Extreme, it ran circles around my MXT, just as the GPX 4000 model was coming out.  Didn't take me long before I upgraded to a 4000, as the GPX 4500 was released...I never upgraded my 4000 to the newer GPX's as I didn't see no hugh leap in technology between then.  When the SDC 2300 can out, I was all over that after I witnessed its magic in a hunted out hydraulic.  This machine (SDC 2300) is just simply awesome!  Yes, I have a GPZ 7000 also, and I will say the best machine I've swung next to the SDC!  Now, I still own a couple GB2's and will never get rid of them, it's all about kHz to me.  Each, detector has its place and each detectorist poke is only so big for the current technology available.  Make the most out of what you swing and do your Due Diligence before you take your cap off you poke bottle and enter the bloody edge of technology!  Happy hunting is all its really about...until the next hunt!

LuckyLundy

• Like 8

I try to avoid "first model year" autos and tires, and have been comfortable with that. I mean, who wants a failure at 70mph?

On tech that I do not depend on for continued living, I'm there! I won't camp out to be first in line, but I'll buy the first Eq800 I can get my hands on. I'm very pleased with my new Fisher F75, but the new tech has captured my interest, and its being waterproof is a clincher.  I suppose I could wait on the Eq800, but I hope to learn the menus etc before I take it out. 

What I'm waiting to hear about is the new pinpointers from Fisher and Minelab. I like my 'carrot' enough I'll wait to see which one responds best to small low conductors, but I'm mostly in the Minelab Pro-Find 35 camp already. Besides, the ground is frozen here, won't have use of it until next season...

I don’t know some people wouldn’t be happy if hung them with a new rope.

The Detector I had yesterday was perfect and the one I’ll have tomorrow I’m sure will be perfect too. My trouble hasn’t been with the detector but the guy behind it. Not only do I want to know what coin it’s detected but also the date on said coin.

It was talk here about waiting a while before you buy. I’ll tell you up front that will be a cold day before I’ll ever do that . I’ve just about reach the end of my rope waiting on this new detector from Minelab. Oh I’m on a waiting list to get one but weight is what broke the wagon down.

Some of you may not understand what I’m saying being I’m cross with Ms.Tx. and some Hines 57.

What can I say some days I don’t know what end is up. I do know I want a certain detector soon.

Chuck

• Haha 1

Patience me lad patience, but that`s easy to say. Chuck you`ve got it bad for sure.:biggrin:

On 3/10/2016 at 10:18 AM, argyle said:

About component problems, yep it happens quite consistently amongst all manufacturers.

But waiting 6 months I cannot do. The engineers and testers really have to get outside more!

Nearly all of the problems we are finding with units could have been addressed well before release.

I mean, these are educated people making simple electronics on nice budgets. Or are they really savant's that are so overendowed with genius that they cannot tie their own shoelaces or take one of their own designed detectors out for a real world hunt.

Argyle, sometimes our expectations can be out of whack with the manufacturers targeted end user which is why you hear rave reviews from some people and nothing but complaint from others. One thing I've learnt over the years is opinions are like backsides, everybody has one. From the manufactures point of view it comes down to how well the detector eventually sells, they too take a lot of risk which can get very expensive if they miss the mark.

I'm an innovator according to Steve's chart and don't mind taking a gamble which is probably why I have a GS5b and a QED in my detector collection (I could never find a nugget with the GS5b but have found quite a few pieces with the QED). Gold has been very good to me so I don't mind investing some of that money into new products/toys that I'm pretty sure will not reach muster and will only ever get used occasionally even if they are half reasonable. Some I hang onto for nostalgia's sake others I move on.

There are too many end users for manufacturers satisfy all of them fully, ultra experienced operators are even rarer so their needs and wants will never get fully addressed especially in the more generic models such as VLF. As a full time ultra passionate/perfectionist prospector my needs and wants are always at odds with the engineers during development on projects I'm involved in. I'm fortunate that the people I work with are very performance based so they give me a lot more air time than I probably deserve sometimes but at the end of the day there are always trade offs in the final product.

JP

Steve and all:

More AI is coming to a metal detector near you.

We speak of the Zed and 'learning' the ground we are on but the future will use information we have not dreamed of.  The signal analysis that will be invisible in the background will be astounding.

I know the technology we are using now will deplete the gold fields so much that by the time the best technology is here most of the hand diggable gold will not.

Get out and dig.

Mitchel

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

Steve and all:

More AI is coming to a metal detector near you.

We speak of the Zed and 'learning' the ground we are on but the future will use information we have not dreamed of.  The signal analysis that will be invisible in the background will be astounding.

I know the technology we are using now will deplete the gold fields so much that by the time the best technology is here most of the hand diggable gold will not.

Get out and did.

Mitchel

Mn, not sure about us getting most the hand diggable gold (crikey my spell checker doesn`t like diggable) go back 100 years and I suspect the old fellas thought that. Maybe the day is close when a detector is not influenced at all by mineralization, the Z has shown it is a step closer to that compared to the PIs, the PIs were a step in that direction from the VLFs. I just feel tech now is astounding compared to say just 40 years ago and as you say we can`t even dream of what it will be like in the future.

I just remember back in the 70s a big majority of the population where I live and I suspect elsewhere thought we were spaced out buying a box of electronics we believed could find gold. Just could not be so was the consensus, today that sounds ridiculous to us but it was so. No no, I feel now that the popularity of using a detector will bring on even more advances. Some of grandkids will be having a good natured shot at us for leaving it laying around while in frustration the only thing we`ll be able to swing is a walking stick. :wink:Me and I suspect a lot of coil swinging members my age are early adopters and why the hell not, has been a super magic journey, 

• Like 3

Norvic

I don’t have it as bad as it sounds but I am running out of chap-stick.ha

I was standing in line for something and this lady ask if the line was moving fast. My reply to her was  I wasn’t gray headed when I got in line.

Here I am again in line and at this rate by the time I get to the front of the line I won’t have any hair at all.?

That’s okay it’s lots of guys that is ball headed swinging a detector.

I think I’ll make it now. I just had to express myself. haha

Chuck

• Haha 1