4 Big Gold Nuggets

Beatup,  Those few rocks area hundred thousand hours of digging the more lead that you can imagine.  On a rare occasion I win a nice prize.  I don't think the average person realizes how much non gold they'll dig to find one of those rocks.  I don't think the average nugget hunter will take the torture and spend the time of multiple days with nothing to show for other than blisters, busted knuckles and sore feet.  But there are a few more still out there.

• Like 1

Ah go on Gerry, all you successful gold fellas are the same, you`ve got those secret places where it`s just laying around, just a matter of a few swings each time you want a gold hit.....🤤 

• Haha 5

Norvic,  Oh yea I found them with the GPS coordinates I purchased on eBay.  Best $100 I ever spent.

Now if I was smart or I didn't care about hunting my old sites again, I'd just do exactly as I mentioned above.  I could sell the GPS coordinates for each nugget at $100 a pop or all 4 for $299.  You and I both know there's  folks who would buy.  I could milk those nuggets for a few more grand.

Or...maybe I could give the coordinates away for free to anyone who purchases GPX-6000 or GPZ-7000 from me?

Now you have me thinking outside the box Norvic.  You are a great man today, not sure about tomorrow?🤫

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 12/22/2021 at 2:39 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

If you are going to travel and detect a variety of terrains and areas of gold you need to have more than 1 tool.   Sometimes DEPTH from a big powerful detector is not desired and in fact can be your worst enemy.  The average person can only dig so many 2 feet deep hold and just a couple 3 footers and you are exhausted.  I've done it myself and witnessed many other do the same.  In old minded areas trash is usually abundant and a powerful DEEP detector can be your enemy.

So true, Gerry and thanks for explicitly mention this again here. I have state the same several times on this forum. As an example, in many areas of the CA Motherload a good VLF is the only detector that will be productive. If you plan to do metal detecting in one of the (few) areas of the original main Motherload belt where public detecting is still permissible (i.e Merced River Recreation Area, American River-Mineral Bar, North Yuba River-i.e. near Downieville) a VLF is the only detector you will need. In particular, the 7000 will lead to insanity quickly (verified!). It is so nice to dig a 3 foot hole only to discover a 30 foot buried water pipe from an old mining operation, or an old 8 inch chisel or unimaginable amounts of other trash from 10,000's of miners who infested these canyons over many decades. In general, for PI and ZVT you need to go to much more remote BLM locations (i.e. upper Plumas National Forrest), or better private land.

GC   

• Like 1

This is a great little thread on the advantages/disadvantages of the varied types of detectors.

I too have dug it all, but when I had the opportunity to follow large-scale placer miners around their bedrock workings (they removed 50-60 feet of overburden to get to the bedrock), workings that included uncountable bits of steel track and bucket or blade, it was no place for a detector without discrimination. Moreover, I'd have lost my mind trying to dig all of the audible targets. My little VLF's with their discrimination were outstanding! (A geologist joined me one day that had the Minelab SDC 2300, and he couldn't get out of the excavations fast enough! Hundreds of signals in every direction for him, but no advantage of discrimination.)

I have also dug deep holes chasing non-gold signals from my PI's, and I'm hoping one day there will be a way for them to discriminate effectively at depth, but that seems as if it may never be.

So, until the deep seeking metal detectors can conquer the seemingly impossible discrimination hurdle efficiently, I'l always pack the one-two punch of a deep seeker (for its strengths), and the light little VLF's with their amazing discrimination.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Lanny said:

and I'm hoping one day there will be a way for them to discriminate effectively at depth, but that seems as if it may never be.

That would be huge. Especially because I am certain there is a lot more gold in heavy worked areas at reachable digging depth beyond VLF detecting limits. However, the current process of discrimination (based on inductance/conductivity differences) has extreme limitations (works better in mild soil and only with surface targets). Hence, something entirely new would have to be developed to discriminate reasonably well at depth. Perhaps Bruce will figure something out. I think this would be one of the biggest revolutions in metal detector history (i.e. ZVT with iron probability meter that works at depth and that can be used at the operators discretion) and would most certainly spark a new gold rush.😁

GC. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Beatup,  Those few rocks area hundred thousand hours of digging the more lead that you can imagine.  On a rare occasion I win a nice prize.  I don't think the average person realizes how much non gold they'll dig to find one of those rocks.  I don't think the average nugget hunter will take the torture and spend the time of multiple days with nothing to show for other than blisters, busted knuckles and sore feet.  But there are a few more still out there.

Gerry, that is some beautiful gold.  I couldn't imagine the miles walked and the holes dug to find those babies.  Like you, I do not agree with the dig it all attitude.  When you are new to detecting, I would say, yes, dig it all … because you are learning the detector and you are establishing your "best" method of detecting the different situations.   

Thank you for sharing!

Andy

• Like 1