Makro Multi Kruzer

Hello guys and girls.

I am a pretty new detectorist. I have bought the nokta makro multi kruzer and it's working really well so far I think. In comparison to my old bounty hunter 2200 haha.  I have been detecting at my in laws 1880s property and have pulled out a ton of stuff. 3 large cents Canadian. 1896 being the oldest. A 1800s pewter tea cup, the outer housing of a golf gilted pocket watch. A whole bunch of knights of the maccabees medallions. The only thing is I've been getting silver tones of 98. A solid 98 , I'll dig down and it's a large piece of rust iron? It this just because the target is so big that I'm getting the 98. I get so excited thinking its pre 1950 silver haha 

I'm just getting used to the vdi. Does anyone know what aluminium and zinc/galvanized would show up as? Just looking for some people to speak with and any tips and advice would be great. I appreciate you all.

Welcome, NN1878!  I don't have a Multi Kruzer but have read enough to know it's a quite capable detector.  However, here a couple generalities that apply to most Induction Balance (IB) and Very Low Frequency (VLF) detectors such as the MK:

1) Size and shape of target can have a big effect on the VDI reading.  The usual posted ranges of certain metals assumes coins or coin-sized items.  In particular the term 'ferrous' as used by metal detector manuals isn't the same as iron or iron alloy.  In answer to your question about where aluminum will show up, if it's a coin sized piece of aluminum (with a thickness close to a coin's thickness) it will show up between USA 5 cent 'nickel' and USA zinc penny.  But as its size gets larger its VDI will increase, eventually getting up with even large silver coins (and above!).

2) It is quite common with many detectors that iron (even nails) can show up with very high VDI's.  The VDI scale is often illustrated as a line segment with non-conductive ferromagnetic material at one end and large silver at the other.  But in fact a 12 hour clock is a better characterization with non-conductive ferromagnetic in the low hours (e.g. around 1 O'Clock) and the very high conductors such as large silver and copper coins at the high hours -- around 11 O'Clock.  What can happen due to size, shape, and orientation is that either metal can 'wrap around' past 12 O'Clock.  Large silver on some detectors will continue higher, past 12 O'Clock in the clockwise direction and give a ferrous tone and/or VDI.  Rusty or even some non-rusted iron and its alloys can do the opposite, moving in the counterclockwise direction into the generic silver zone.

Bottom line is that the VDI scales only go so far in identifying the target's composition.  More sophisticated signal analysis (currently only done by the human brain) is needed to sort things out and even then it's not perfect.  Thus, what you are experiencing is typical.  Keep digging and learning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NavyNestor1878 said:

Hello guys and girls.

I am a pretty new detectorist. I have bought the nokta makro multi kruzer and it's working really well so far I think. In comparison to my old bounty hunter 2200 haha.  I have been detecting at my in laws 1880s property and have pulled out a ton of stuff. 3 large cents Canadian. 1896 being the oldest. A 1800s pewter tea cup, the outer housing of a golf gilted pocket watch. A whole bunch of knights of the maccabees medallions. The only thing is I've been getting silver tones of 98. A solid 98 , I'll dig down and it's a large piece of rust iron? It this just because the target is so big that I'm getting the 98. I get so excited thinking its pre 1950 silver haha 

I'm just getting used to the vdi. Does anyone know what aluminium and zinc/galvanized would show up as? Just looking for some people to speak with and any tips and advice would be great. I appreciate you all.

GBA gave you excellent feedback on what you're digging.  I field tested the MMk and it's a great machine, I love it for relic hunting, it's killer in iron.   I did several videos in the field using the MMK and I talk about settings, show finds with audio and what not so you can probably learn a lot from there without having to reinvent the wheel. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Welcome, NN1878!  I don't have a Multi Kruzer but have read enough to know it's a quite capable detector.  However, here a couple generalities that apply to most Induction Balance (IB) and Very Low Frequency (VLF) detectors such as the MK:

1) Size and shape of target can have a big effect on the VDI reading.  The usual posted ranges of certain metals assumes coins or coin-sized items.  In particular the term 'ferrous' as used by metal detector manuals isn't the same as iron or iron alloy.  In answer to your question about where aluminum will show up, if it's a coin sized piece of aluminum (with a thickness close to a coin's thickness) it will show up between USA 5 cent 'nickel' and USA zinc penny.  But as its size gets larger its VDI will increase, eventually getting up with even large silver coins (and above!).

2) It is quite common with many detectors that iron (even nails) can show up with very high VDI's.  The VDI scale is often illustrated as a line segment with non-conductive ferromagnetic material at one end and large silver at the other.  But in fact a 12 hour clock is a better characterization with non-conductive ferromagnetic in the low hours (e.g. around 1 O'Clock) and the very high conductors such as large silver and copper coins at the high hours -- around 11 O'Clock.  What can happen due to size, shape, and orientation is that either metal can 'wrap around' past 12 O'Clock.  Large silver on some detectors will continue higher, past 12 O'Clock in the clockwise direction and give a ferrous tone and/or VDI.  Rusty or even some non-rusted iron and its alloys can do the opposite, moving in the counterclockwise direction into the generic silver zone.

Bottom line is that the VDI scales only go so far in identifying the target's composition.  More sophisticated signal analysis (currently only done by the human brain) is needed to sort things out and even then it's not perfect.  Thus, what you are experiencing is typical.  Keep digging and learning.

This was a phenomenal answer and made a lot of sense to me. 

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me and explain to me. I love this hobby. It's not about monetary gain for me it's about uncovering history. There is something so cool and someone dropping something hundreds of years ago and I am the one to find it. 

I am originally from Liverpool, England. Moved to Canada 18 years ago. It would be a dream to come home and detect there. Maybe one day I can bring my son, who is Canadian home to England and show him the dales. 

Are your English? 

Thanks again

Ross

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

GBA gave you excellent feedback on what you're digging.  I field tested the MMk and it's a great machine, I love it for relic hunting, it's killer in iron.   I did several videos in the field using the MMK and I talk about settings, show finds with audio and what not so you can probably learn a lot from there without having to reinvent the wheel. 

GBA went above and beyond I agree. It's so nice to have experienced people on here to give advice.  Those videos sound great. Where could I access them?

Thanks so much

Ross.

4 hours ago, NavyNestor1878 said:

GBA went above and beyond I agree. It's so nice to have experienced people on here to give advice.  Those videos sound great. Where could I access them?

Thanks so much

Ross.

Here's the initial field test video I did, I also do a rundown on all of the features, which you may already know. 

Here's another field video showing the MMK at one of our hard core relic sites:

If you look at my YouTube videos there's a few more I did on the MMK.  It's a great detector, stellar for relic hunting sites that's for sure!

11 hours ago, NavyNestor1878 said:

Are your English?

You didn't pick up my lack of accent?  :biggrin:  USA Midwest.  (Note the 'Southern Indiana' admission in the sidebar to the left.)  Liverpool, England; did you know the Beatles?  (Bet you never got asked that before.)  I've yet to make it to England (Ireland once, but I've heard that doesn't count).  Been to central four big providences of Canada many times and spent better part of three summers there (twice in central Saskatchewan and once in northern Manitoba).  Never had my metal detector with me, though.

Again, welcome, Ross.  You're already fitting right in.  (I'm Chuck, BTW, but most people here call me 'GB' or 'GB_A', when they're not substituting cursewords, that is.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Here's the initial field test video I did, I also do a rundown on all of the features, which you may already know. 

Here's another field video showing the MMK at one of our hard core relic sites:

If you look at my YouTube videos there's a few more I did on the MMK.  It's a great detector, stellar for relic hunting sites that's for sure!

Thankyou for taking the time to post those videos. I'll watch them today. 

I really appreciate it.

Merry Christmas

Ross

3 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

You didn't pick up my lack of accent?  :biggrin:  USA Midwest.  (Note the 'Southern Indiana' admission in the sidebar to the left.)  Liverpool, England; did you know the Beatles?  (Bet you never got asked that before.)  I've yet to make it to England (Ireland once, but I've heard that doesn't count).  Been to central four big providences of Canada many times and spent better part of three summers there (twice in central Saskatchewan and once in northern Manitoba).  Never had my metal detector with me, though.

Again, welcome, Ross.  You're already fitting right in.  (I'm Chuck, BTW, but most people here call me 'GB' or 'GB_A', when they're not substituting cursewords, that is.)

Haha shortly after I posted that I noticed it said southern Indiana, my apologies. 

I am very happy to be apart of this group and thank you for your very welcoming grandeur. It's lovely to meet you Chuck. I'm sure I will be on here often. It's nice to be able to learn from those who have the experience. 

I hope you have A very merry Christmas 

Ross

• Like 1