Small Coil For D2

WVdigger

On 1/4/2022 at 7:29 AM, abenson said:

Yea I hope they make a 5x10 for the D2 otherwise I'm hanging onto the D1 with it's 5x10 for hunting ghost towns and gold nuggets. I asked XP about making a smaller coil and they said the chip and battery won't fit in a small coil. I doubt that has changed.

I suspect i will need to hang onto my Deus 1 and the 3 coils that work with it.   

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 4:44 AM, relicmeister said:

If they add another coil my guess would be the 5.5”xx 9” elliptical, only as a FMF coil.  I thought that would have been the logical accessory coil instead of the 11” X 13” they plan to offer. 

I completely agree.

Since the chip in the battery will not fit in the 9x5.5 maybe they should make a solid elliptical coil and just change the charging clip to a different style that way it could still be waterproof otherwise if you have an external battery it won't be waterproof

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2022 at 10:05 AM, basstrackerman said:

Since the chip in the battery will not fit in the 9x5.5 maybe they should make a solid elliptical coil and just change the charging clip to a different style that way it could still be waterproof otherwise if you have an external battery it won't be waterproof

I would be fine if they put the battery in the stem if needed. Just obviously wouldn't be able to use it for water hunting. 

On 1/4/2022 at 6:29 AM, abenson said:

I asked XP about making a smaller coil and they said the chip and battery won't fit in a small coil. I doubt that has changed.

Maybe they should work a little harder on that. 

Strick

Gentlemen we have the Technology.

• Like 2

It's a bit of a design failure the detector isn't capable of having a small coil, having essentially the detector stuffed into the coil isn't ideal when it limits the size of the coil you can make.  Detectors from the 1970's could have small coils, it's not like it's cutting edge technology, the Deus 2 has gone backwards in this area.

It's a real shame as the lack of coils is always going to be the Deus 2's biggest flaw, and to me its a fatal flaw as I really need one.  If they could at least squeeze down to a 10x5" It'd be OK, although I'd prefer smaller.

I've been deciding between a Deus 2 and a GPX 6000, and although the GPX is also limited with it's coils and has no small coil option at least the aftermarket have been able to resolve that dilemma for me and even though it requires a lot of cutting, chopping and modding at least it can be done, this will not be possible at all with the Deus 2 for the aftermarket to come to the rescue.  A big disappointment for me. 

With my Nox the only coils I really use are the 6" (Gold prospecting) and 15x12" (Coin and jewellery hunting), the 10x5" gets a little bit of use for prospecting but I prefer the 6".  So as you can see, the 9" or 11" Deus are not really a coil I'd want. I'd be using the 15" round Coiltek if I could find one decent report of it being better than the standard large coil, I've yet to see one.  The Nox received a lot of gripe about only have a 6", 11 and 15x12" coils available, at least they had a range for various tasks, even though it was limited.

Hopefully they at least start to provide large coils, as there should be nothing limiting that except bad ergonomics which I'd be happy to put up with to have access to the big coils.

If I have a multi purpose machine, I want to have coils to suit the tasks at hand or it's not really a multi purpose machine.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Hopefully (XP will) at least start to provide large coils (for the Deus 2),...

Past performance isn't necessarily a good predictor, but how long did it take XP to come out with accessory coils (outside the initial offering) for the Deus 1?  The ORX was released in 2018 -- 9 years after the Deus 1.  Were the white HF coils not available until then?  Someone out there knows, hopefully s/he is still reading this thread...

• Like 1

I would think that divers and beach hunters don't necessarily want to use a 9x5 inch coil, so they could (in theory) simply make a "Land Only" coil and use the same parts from the Deus 1's 9x5 coil and update it to the FMF electronics. Of course it sounds easy enough, but there may be other reasons why XP doesn't want to do that.  

• Like 2

It's been said before but if you're limited with coils you're also potentially limited with finds, someone with a lesser detector can come along and find more than you just because they've got a coil they can get to the soil. 

I think a detector is only as good as it's coils. 

An 11" coil covering the ground of a huge field with sparse finds is painful, a 9" hunting in a rocky area where the coil can't get between the rocks to get to the ground is pointless.

A detector without a range of coils isn't a multi purpose detector.    I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone here this, it seems manufacturers struggle to understand it though.

It gives me a headache!