Makro Racer 2 Display & Controls - Best Ever?

I have used many metal detectors over the years, and right now I have to say that the new Makro Racer 2 has perhaps the easiest to understand, best laid out, most practical display and menu system I have ever seen in a top end detector. Now, you can sure say you hunt by ear and do not need a screen and I get that, but if we are going to put a screen on a detector, then let's do it right.

Simple detectors with few functions are easy to make screens for - there is not much you need. But even then just the basics are often wrong. Machines that feature target id numbers, what is the thing you will most look at on screen? The target id numbers! Yet these are often way too small or off to the side as if an afterthought.

The Makro Racer 2 id numbers are huge, much larger than on the original Racer and Gold Racer, which are already good sized. The number 88 display in the diagram above is fully 1.5" x 1.5" in size in real life. Other machines have some pretty big numbers but I think this sets a record as I can't think of any machine with larger id numbers on screen though some are close.

makro-racer-2-lcd-display-screen-controls.jpg
Makro Racer 2 LCD display and controls

makro-racer-2-display-screen.jpg
Makro Racer 2 screen layout

makro-racer-2-menu-functions-list.jpg
Makro Racer 2 screen and control descriptions

The number can be the ground balance number, target id, or depth reading. You get a text display just above the number confirming which it is. Below the numbers are three zone references, Fe, Gold/Non-FE, and Non-Fe, that are used to set tone breaks and audio for the three main zones or bins as they are sometimes called.

Another basic feature lacking on a lot of machines - the meter backlight. With the Racer 2 you get off, intermittent, or full time backlighting, and it includes the translucent red control buttons. The control ranges between 0-5 and C1-C5. At 0 level, the keypad and display backlight are off. When set between 1-5, they light up only for a short period of time when a target is detected or while navigating the menu and then it goes off. At C1-C5 levels, the keypad and display will light up constantly. I do not know of anyone doing a better backlight.

The right side of the meter is informational - ground phase (ground balance number), mineral % (ground magnetite content), coil warning notices, and a six segment battery meter.

Across the top below the 0 - 99 reference sticker, is a series of 50 "bullets" each of which covers 2 target id numbers. Open bullets (which appear gray in the diagram but are invisible in real life - see top photo) indicate accepted target id numbers. Blacked out segments show what discrimination and notch setting you have programmed in a single quick glance. When a target is detected, the big number on the display will be mirrored by one or more of the bullets flashing dark.

The four control buttons are simple as can be - up and down takes you through the left hand menu area. Right or left lets you set each function selected by going up and down. The menu is basically the entire feature list just laid out right there for you to see. You want to know what this machine can do, just look at the screen. Most other machines you have no clue without reading the owners manual or at least pushing buttons to see what functions appear.

Some settings like the backlight are system wide for all modes. All other settings like Gain are independent in each mode, and can be saved independently in each mode. This means you can play neat tricks like setting up a couple modes with dramatically different settings and then flip back and forth easily between two modes for target checking.

You even get to decide what mode is the default start up mode. The Racer 2 starts up in the last mode where the save function was performed. If you always want to start in Beach mode, just modify and save something in Beach mode. Next time you start the detector, you will be in Beach mode.

It is simple. It makes sense. No cryptic abbreviations or acronyms. No sub menus. It is, in metal detector terms, a work of art. Whoever designed this should sign it so I can frame it and hang it on my wall.

• Like 8

I don't have a Racer 2 :sad: but I have the Red Racer and would have to say I agree. Love the Menu. My only complaint is with the optional weather cover. It is very difficult to operate the buttons accurately with it in place. With summer coming on I think I will take it off, install a screen protector and go detecting.

• Like 2

Makro has has made a wonderfully intuitive interface. The original racer menu is a delight to access and navigate. It doesn't seem like a big deal until you try it first hand, once you do, wow! If other manufacturers only take notice of one thing, I hope this is it.

Big congrats to the people at Racer on a job well done, this machine looks so simple yet it has flexibility to be manipulated for any situation, The real shocker is it is such a good looking machine too and what a display, thank you Makro for making such a great product. 

THANK YOU ALL on behalf of my team.

We do it all as a team here and I was part of that team.

We always try to think '' How could we make metal detecting easier for our customers?'' and I guess we did it right based on your positive comments  - The source of our motivation.

Thank you again.

• Like 3

What I see about the Makro Racer 2 is it will detect very deep. That part I do like. The thing I'm not seeing is what the ID says. Just maybe I don't want to dig that what ever it is. Show me the ID each time and use American coins and some beer bottle caps made in the US. This will tell me just how accurate the ID is. The show and tell is always with coins other than one nail and all in their own hole.

It's a ID detector so please show it.

Chuck

We are just talking single frequency VLF phase shift based discrimination. Nothing there I have not seen for over twenty years. The target id accuracy will range from spot on to horrible depending on ground mineralization and adjacent targets.

• Like 2

Like with all single Frq VLF's the moment there is a nail or junk next to a good target it will drag down the VDI numbers like a nail next to a quarter it can go from 83 down to 23 +/- and in areas where hammered coins have been found can lead to missing more than you find, In such places I tend to set the disc about the same as I would for prospecting in the Relic mode, (on my machine) that means don't go above 2 and you will dig more Iron but you will find the old stuff,, I made the mistake of setting it at about 2.8 to 2.9 for about a week that cost me 2 weeks extra having to re do the area,

In an Iron filled site I use a hammered cut half or a pulltab and set the machine up so they come through as a good target because setting the disc higher will cost you dearly which means targets that come up at around -10 or a bit less will come through

john