Winter's Here, Time To Lay Back

1 hour ago, brogansown said:

After an okay 2021 here in Eastern Oregon, we are catching up on all those chores we let slide.  The Stonehouse Museum is shut down for the winter, so there's time catch up on research, filing, etc.

In addition to the nuggets, I'm especially interested in the artifacts, (trash mostly) that we all find on every outing.  Remember those pesky square nails; well, can anyone top my seven inch monster (photo attached)?  Also attached is a shoe sole, that shows where all those hundreds of tiny tacks we find probably come from.  That sole and the complete shoe came out of a tailing's pile here in Eastern Oregon.  I believe the complete shoe is Chinese, based upon the other relics found around it.  Hope everyone has a productive 2022.

Oh, and here is one of two complete coffee pots found here, circa 1870.

IMG_0532.JPG

Miner's Shoe.jpg

Chinese shoe Eldorado-2.JPG

Eldorado Coffee Pot with lid.JPG

Nice finds! Oh you live in some beautiful country, Steens Mountain and the desert below? Heaven on Earth!  Have a great 2022, Hope to go back this spring.

• Like 1

Great finds and glad you have had a good year, now take some time and relax.

Merry Christmas.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing some of your other interests Gary.  Glad to see you still out there digging a few treasures.  Yes that square nail is a monster.  Love the coffee can and tobacco tags.  I found a shoe heel with hundreds of those little boot nails will have to look for a pick.

Merry Christmas and hopefully 2022 is more eventful in a  good way.

• Like 1

Gerry, I really get a lot of interest in the coffee pots when I take them to the Museum.  I reconstructed the eight ounce beer mug you gave me in that bag of treasures and plan to drink a beer out of it one of these days.  Merry Christmas to all of you guys too. 

• Like 1

Those sure are museum quality finds.  I thought my 20d nail (find) was big -- it's only 4 inches long.  Your top three dwarf that.  I think the other in your top photo is a 16d.

At first I thought the play iron was from an old Monopoly set but it looks too large, and that game didn't appear until the mid-1930's.  I tried to find yours on the internet but a bit of searching came up empty.  Any idea on its age?

GB_Amateur the "iron" is a tin tobacco tag that was pressed in plug tobacco by that company.  Although I found that one here while detecting, the most prominent tin tag around here was the "star brand."  And the next was the round "target" brand.  They are plentiful around here and can be quite collectable, with hundreds of brands. 

• Like 1