First Post Goldquest Aquasearch V.2 Lessons For Beginners

Hi to All,

Not much meat on the bones here for the experienced hunter, so read on at your own boredom.

I did not realize that I had never posted on Steve's site before, so part of pinning this on the board is to escape the Lurker rap. 

The other reasons for posting? So we can review common sense principles that I wandered away from that you should respect:

• Always power up your detector before leaving the house
  • Always run a target over the coil of your detector before you leave the house
  • Have a backup detector and always take it with you when you leave the house
  • If you choose not to have a backup and have only one detector that is a rare older design that nobody repairs, grief is in your future

At the beach over a week ago my detector would turn on but not respond to targets run over the coil. The machine in question is an Eric Foster Goldquest Aquasearch v.2, which is a pure PI designed for beach/shallow water only. No many around anymore, no parts available and few if any work on them. Bad place to be, and I put myself there without anyone's help. What I realized right away is buying a top shelf backup PI right now is next to impossible- they do not exist in number. Garrett buying out White's made the TDI Beach Hunter scarce, plus everyone is holding their Dual Fields and/or Surf PI's. The used detector market is hotter than the used car market. Thanks, but no Seahunter or 7lb ATX for me. It may be a multi-freq machine is in my future because it is the only viable option- we shall see.

As for the Goldquest Aquasearch, after many failed inquiries I found that East Texas Metal Detectors works on Eric Foster machines. Thank you Steve H. for the suggestion (via earlier post search). All is well for now in Redondo Beach.

-Jerry

• Like 7

Welcome out of the shadows Jerry.

Lurking is allowed but way more fun to join in  !!

Hope you can get your Foster detector back up and running.

(OR it's future replacement finds enough to pay for itself ....)

Happy Hunting and Merry Christmas to ya !

Like you, many of us have learned the hard way about checking detector, headphones, before leaving the house. Just this week, my buddies wireless headphones wouldn't power up. A quick check at the house would have shown this to be the case.

Thanks for posting, a good reminder. HH Jim Tn

Welcome to the forum and I hope everything gets working for you soon.

Merry Christmas.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you found someone to take a look at it, Jerry.  Sounds like the coil cable brain end.   Don't forget the gasket making kit if you need it too. 

cjc

Hi Clive, the Aquasearch is good-to-go. I took another look at it and found one of the coil wires detached from the block.....easy enough fix. Here is the place where you can get the exact replacement control box and/or exact replacement gaskets for the Aquasearch: GSI Outdoors in Spokane, Washington.

-Jerry

• Like 1

Yeah, I got to the beach once after a long drive, turned on the Excal...nothing. Didn't have a backup detector with me either. Also broke a scoop a couple of times without a spare but that was with cheaper scoops or wooden handles. I didn't know that used PI's were in high demand - maybe it's time to sell one?

On 1/11/2022 at 12:16 AM, Pyriteboy said:

Hi Clive, the Aquasearch is good-to-go. I took another look at it and found one of the coil wires detached from the block.....easy enough fix. Here is the place where you can get the exact replacement control box and/or exact replacement gaskets for the Aquasearch: GSI Outdoors in Spokane, Washington.

-Jerry

I did take a look at their stuff back then but Im not sure it was exact--wound up putting mine in a BHID box--rock solid.  I talk to Eric quite  often will have to ask him what he used.   Hard to believe it would be a Gringo company lol.  I tried to get a gasket from them it did not fit. 

cjc

Hi Clive,

I bought a box and a few extra gaskets. The new gasket fits the channel, and closing the box seems to be a tight seal. The box appears to be an exact copy of the original Eric used. GSI put their name all over the box, but sadly if you look carefully, you will find Made in China.

Hi George,

There are not many used beach pulse machines available in the entire country now.....what happened to the choices we used to have?.....gold machines, kinda the same thing right now......It's a good thing when your 3rd string pulse is the PI Pro....

-Jerry

Good to know Jerry - thanks.