Thinning Down The Herd ??

Well as we're getting flooded by video's of Deus Deux VS "All contenders" and to chase away the overindulgence of Christmas.

I sold the Equinox and the CTX. What have I done???

Anyways, a few batteries less to keep charged and the much needed space in my brain feels liberating.

When Two-sy arrives I get to put all my efforts in understanding this new kid. And it keeps me from thinking "The XXXX could have found this also,... The XXXX would have sounded different,... etc etc.

Tommorow I get to break out the old X-terra 705 with the elliptical for a relic hunt. Single frequency rules guys !!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1

I can't sell my detectors, I just can't bring myself to do it.  The ones that don't get used anymore are nothing but decorations but I'd not part with them. 

I parted with my QED as I didn't like the direction the business was going or how it was being run along with the weak build quality of the detector and the fact I bought it for high EMI detecting to complement my GPX, then I purchased a GPZ which took over that role and left the QED in the dust for performance in and out of EMI.  Although a painful thing to do as it's the only detector I've ever parted with I felt good parting with it to someone who genuinely needed a detector and instead of selling it to them I swapped it for their AT Gold which they were unable to use in their area due to ground mineralisation.  It felt nice they got a reasonable deal for a detector I'd never use, for a detector they wanted to get rid of because they were never be able to use it.  In saying that I'll probably never use the AT Gold either.

I probably should part with some detectors though, I have two Gold Bug Pro's and two Teknetics T2's, I should part with one of each of them I guess but I find reasons to keep them, like I've done a switch mod on one of my GBP's and one is original still, and one of my T2's is the old sparky one prior to the electronic EMI modifications First Texas has done so I've pulled it apart and performed my own EMI mods with EMI paint and copper shielding which did seem to improve it, and my other T2 is a more modern T2 green which has the official EMI mods.  So because of differences between them I like to have both.

I have a GPX 4500 and a 5000, the 4500 should really go I guess but it's an older Aussie made one which I find more sparky on the little gold than the 5000.

The list goes on and so do my excuses, I always find some reason to not thin the herd..... I think I have a problem 🙂

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1

Yep,... you’ve got a problem!!

The list of detectors I’ve owned is ridiculous. I like to find things out for myself, so you end up buying and trying a lot.

But as life often gets in the way of really getting to know a unit,... I’ve narrowed my selection down to those I enjoy using. And I’m really being selfish on that part. If I don’t like it or it gets on my nerves. It gets sold or culled.

Peace of mind is a wonderfull thing.

• Like 2

I just sold my Vanquish 540 with 3 coils and I sold a Deus1 9" HF coil too. It has not been easy for me to sell the 540 because I like this machine and it has been a good friend during the past 2 years

I still have a Deus1 10X6 HF and an Apex.

My next detector will be a Deus2 "Lite" with a 9" coil .

At the end I will probably keep only the D2 and the D1 . I like simple things , 2 detectors are largely enough for me . I just need a backup in case where my first machine fails ... 

• Like 5

I decided .... I did not sell my detectors, because many of these models retain a certain philosophy of detection-preferences- determined by the manufacturer ... who made them./ Tesoro, Deeptech, Whites, Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, XP, Rutus, Golden Mask, and AKA / ..... and most of them are excellent detectors in their class ,, / Top Class / ..... they are simply detection standards .. ,, and they also brought me very nice finds ... also memories from detection ..👍

In the maximum case, I exchanged some of my detector with a colleague for another ... that suits me better ...:wink:

However, I know one thing if I have to buy another new detector .. she will have to really convince me that it is really much better than what I have ... not by individual% ,, but by tens of% ..🏆.

We'll see ... I believe that further progress in improving detection is possible ...:smile:👍 ....

• Like 3

At one point I owned around 12-15 detectors at the same time. The excuse was always I wanted an extra one in case a friend wanted to go detecting. I told this to my wife and there was a time I began to believe the lie as well and then I decided enough was enough and I began to thin things out to the point I got down to an 800 and a 600. I just sold the 600 and will replace it with a Deus II so I'll just have the two detectors going forward. As I get closer to retiring from the classroom and we move out of CA, I look at everything under the idea of do I really want to move this. It's amazing what you can learn to live without. I still have 4 sand scoops though. You never know when you'll need an extra scoop. 

• Like 5

Thinned down my herd, it became easier every time one went to a new home. Down to two detectors now. A Blisstool V5 with the 7x9 coil. And my Mirage Pi that I built with three coil sizes. Both are fun to use. 

Now I wouldn't object if some company or individual wants to send me a detector......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1