Crazy Stuff And A First! (update)

Nice finds 350 they dont give away those seated's that for sure. Jealous about the weather...we've been getting lots of much needed rain...the high country is covered in snow it's been averaging high 40's low 50's here in the lower foot hill areas of N. Calif...My father was in the military and we lived in/near Fairfax fond childhood  memories..

strick  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, strick said:

Nice finds 350 they dont give away those seated's that for sure. Jealous about the weather...we've been getting lots of much needed rain...the high country is covered in snow it's been averaging high 40's low 50's here in the lower foot hill areas of N. Calif...My father was in the military and we lived in/near Fairfax fond childhood  memories..

strick  

Thanks!

The last couple of years have brought us mild winters, not warm enough yet to grow palm trees, but I'm hoping. 🤞 😀 I'll just have to get another boat when we turn into an island. 🤣 Thankfully I'm 80 feet above sea level.

Long ago this peninsula must have been warm like that. When you walk into the woods the land drops off precipitously, deep ravines everywhere. We're about a 2 hour drive from Fairfax, but it's totally different. We have miles and miles... Of miles and miles.

40s and 50s will do for me too, gotta keep moving so the old bones don't lock up. 👍 Looking at that for the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great finds for the hard hunting that you have done.

The pond looks rather new (50-60 years old, I think I would be checking along the creeks that supply it.

During the Civil War troops would camp near creeks for fresh water.

Should the lake be much older then look for an old camp site area for the best finds

I will send you some more warm weather so you can check it out better.

Good luck on your next outing in a couple of days..

Thanks VL!

Sadly although this area contributed much to the Civil war, relics from that period are scarce at best. Everyone who fought went elsewhere. Offhand I can think of only 4 I've found over the past year. 😵 Most relics are either Colonial or 18/1900s civilian stuff. I expect to find a lot more Colonial artifacts here. And beer cans and pull tabs and buckshot. 😁

Last night I identified another house location on a 1917 USGS map in this permission that was gone by the 40s.

The greater likelihood might be relics from the War of 1812, the British invaded this peninsula for a short time and looted and burned some farms. I'm close to the landing site.

You are right about the pond, the place I took the picture is a dam. One side is water and the other drops off about 60 feet. I have no idea why the dam was built, I'll have to ask the landowner -they have a small dock there. The whole thing looks new according to the aerials from the 60s. It's possible the dam was built just to get a pond or for conservation, there is evidence of Beavers in the area.20211226_151439.thumb.jpg.17e32ada4efde3c60da1fe093478e0cd.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Execllent finds, specially the Seated Dime! And excellent historical sleuthing as well! 😉

I'd like to present more detail of the history of this area, but discretion is the better part of valor. Most of the landowners would not appreciate too much (or any) attention, I'm really glad they are so generous. 🙂

Historicaerials.com is a really powerful site for finding old homesites that may be on property you have access to. You can switch from topographic maps showing house locations to current aerial photos, match the map features with OnX Hunt, and then go directly there. 👍 You can add road overlays which especially help when roads have changed.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, OregonGregg said:

Congrats on the Seated Dime, always nice to see a seated pop out 🙂 Also really like the dog tag and token.

Thanks! 🙂

I plan on making up a 5x3" Riker case for the landowner of certain things pertinent to the land. The dog tag will be in it because it has the family name and dog name on it. I've done this with another, it goes over really well!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

The dog tag will be in it because it has the family name and dog name on it. I've done this with another, it goes over really well!

I just hope that they didn't bury it with the dog that died, it might be a little awkward.

Just kidding, I hope.

• Haha 2
  • Oh my! 1

Went to another part of this permission today, a place where a house stood according to a 1917 topo, it was gone by the 1940s.20211228_093540.thumb.jpg.a5e60d86b5c2dfbdfd1296583b2a71ba.jpg Wasn't sure I would find much but did pretty well scouting:20211228_190828.thumb.jpg.92e22bcda1cb8cc480ce3c3d400a074a.jpg

Pretty sure the watch shell is gold filled, but I'll file it and test it to find out for sure. Below it is a gold plated cufflink with the other end broken off.20211228_192822.thumb.jpg.41779c78d0e5307db79fb298c20445a9.jpg

1989 dime, 1903 IHP, buffalo nickel with no date. 3 buttons, one silver washed with a pattern:20211228_191204.thumb.jpg.715e2f441b4b08ed569bfdb7996174a6.jpg

A 4 hole button, probably aluminum (27), and a button that says "Gilt London" on the back.20211228_191300.thumb.jpg.8fd1b3d4d4ace8b21cdee55fe2981c1e.jpg Half of a small locket, 2 brass buckles, about half of a thimble.

Last is the most interesting thing, a medallion with bicyclists on the front and back, it appears to have been gold plated as well:20211228_191137.thumb.jpg.0426065d01cf2bd6ea51a5052b2683ce.jpg20211228_191120.thumb.jpg.f7179a8992750491daf663069103d6ab.jpg

I'm gonna say 1890s to the 1920s or 30s. Bicycling was big in the 1890s. It was bent but putting it between two wood blocks and hammering the top one once fixed it. 😀

• Like 6

• The title was changed to Crazy Stuff And A First! (update)