Theres Something About Gary

strick

1 hour ago, scoopjohnb said:

Deus may not be the deepest, most ID-iest but it’s by far the easiest to swingiest.

Looks like Deus II is attempting to address those first 2 issues.  😉 

Fun having the pleasure when I am assisting Andy Sabisch during Deus Bootcamp Training Sessions to address Gary directly during the Bootcamp Skype sessions conducted with XP (either Alain - the Chief Exec of XP or Gary chat with the class and answer questions).  Both are professional class acts.  They stay on point and focus on their own gear without trying to constantly bring the competition into the discussion.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I’d go a step farther and at Best Video Metal Detector Instructor - All Brands. If there is a detector I’m interested in I want to hear about it, and nothing else. White’s set the standard for this type of videos early on, with hour long, in depth video “instruction manuals” for models like the MXT. Really great stuff. Minelab has put out some nice tech type videos. I’ll do my own comparing - what I want is in depth info, that goes beyond what is in the instruction manual.

I much prefer the same. Let the detector do the "talking" and just show me its features and how to basically use it. He has also answered every question I have ever posed to him in the Comment section of his Youtube videos and usually within 24 hours.

Gary can do those things without boring me and my dog likes his voice too.

• Like 6

On 12/27/2021 at 8:42 AM, Loren said:

like the guy and watch every video he does... but him being an advocate of dowsing somewhat harms his credibility in my eyes. 

Have you ever seen a dowser at work? I have. They are used where I used to go in the Sierras to find water for digging a well, and they almost always did. There are some incredibly accurate practitioners out there.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Loren said:

I've also seen a magician make a lion in a cage disappear 🙂 Doesn't mean that is actually what happened.

Dowsing has been thoroughly debunked and no dowser in history, when put to the test, has ever been able to do better than random chance. None, not a single one, ever.

"Case histories and demonstrations of dowsers may seem convincing, but when dowsing is exposed to scientific examination, it presents a very different picture. The natural explanation of "successful" water dowsing is that in many areas underground water is so prevalent close to the land surface that it would be hard to drill a well and not find water. In a region of adequate rainfall and favorable geology, it is difficult not to drill and find water!

Some water exists under the Earth's surface almost everywhere. This explains why many dowsers appear to be successful."

- United States Geological Survey (https://www.usgs.gov/special-topics/water-science-school/science/water-dowsing)

So Loren,

you appear (appear as in there is no way to really know due to social media limitations) to be a new member of this forum that likes to stir the pot, big time almost to the level of trolling.

All I can say is you might want to dig deep into the history of metal detecting and current metal detecting technology.

Also, the practice of dowsing is certainly not limited to the locating of water under the surface of the earth. Your statements above concerning dowsing for water, though true for some places on the earth do not apply to absolutely every place on the surface. Also, dowsing does not work when done by most people. There are some requirements that have to be met first which are definitely hard to achieve. 

There was a time not that long ago, when the radio frequency spectrum did not have “physical” human created content that was the result of analog and digital information being mechanically streamed into it and that entire spectrum served another purpose. I will say no more on that subject.

Anyway, I like Gary’s videos. He could make a video about practically anything he chooses and I would probably watch it. His dowsing videos are some of my favorites for their matter of fact yet humble and reverent approach to this form of detecting.

I hope anyone who reads this is able to have a very happy and somehow fruitful New Year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I do agree that facts don’t care about your opinions or your feelings ( unlike many who do these days) so many who “follow the science” but only the science that lines up with their belief system. I will say there is a lot going on in the world that science ( as currently understood) says cannot be. That’s what makes the world so interesting. 
Happy New Year 

• Like 2

I’d like to hear Chase’s comments on dowsing.  How about it Chase?  I also am a firm believer in scientific facts and proof.  I have a hard time wrapping my head around dowsing, but if someone can offer up scientific proof that it works, then I’m good with it.  There’s also a lot of “gray” areas of science out there that may never be proven in my lifetime.  

Dowsing rods can be bought cheap on Amazon or made yourself, so lacking evidence I’d just like to get some tips from a so called dowser and give it a try for the fun of it. Not for finding water, but an underground cache maybe. 

A similar phenomenon is faith healing. Can’t be supported or explained in scientific terms, but it is happening without a doubt. The placebo effect is strong, but I don’t get think it can account for some of the cases. They are just too dramatic.