Theres Something About Gary

strick

3 hours ago, Loren said:

As it stands, no dowser in history has been able to perform better than random chance.

I am totally fine with everything in your post above except for the last sentence, which has an absolutism and finality about it that is not possible to prove. The amount of dowsing that has been done since a person first did a form of dowsing either successfully or not has never been scientifically measured against the concept of random chance.

• Like 2

Not all healings are religious based. Some believe that it is dud to the consciousness tapping into quantum reality. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Loren said:

But every dowser so far who has attempted to prove their skills in a controlled test has failed.

Knowing what I know about dowsing, (and I am not very good at it) testing their skills in a controlled test to prove their skills is doomed to failure from the start.

• Like 3

I love metal detecting.

Gary and Calabash definitely had something to do with my purchasing XP metal detectors. Even though Deus 1 and the ORX don’t perform very well in the areas I detect due to mineralization and I can’t stand their form of PWM audio, these detectors have fascinated me since I first had the opportunity to use one.

Gary owns and uses many different brands of detectors. He has definitely bonded with the XP Deus 1 however and formed a strong partnership with it and has a good understanding of what it is telling him. His willingness to share his knowledge with us in his videos in his own humble way is very refreshing at least for me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Loren said:

But to me personally, it is a bit like a Doctor giving you tons of great, legitimate medical advice, and then following it up with "oh and try some healing crystals / homeopathy / some other pseudoscience". Even if their initial advice is correct and totally medically sound, the last part makes me feel a bit uneasy.

Loren you know nothing of medicine or science except how to say the word.

Please stick with advertising or what ever it is you do. Many of our prescription drugs/antimicrobials/antiseptics etc were  derived from plants/ bacterial cultures/ minerals in the ground.

strick 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Loren said:

I don't understand the hostility.

I am not sure where you are getting the idea that I am against legitimate medicine, or whatever it is that you are trying to claim. This response of yours honestly confuses me.

Is it because I invoked healing crystals and homeopathy as examples of pseudoscience? 

Don't play dumb with me Loren...I don't have the luxury of sitting on my duff for hours on end just to dispute all your remarks...you know exactly what you are doing...this thred was supposed to be about Gary

Study science and medicine and then maybe you will be able to give educated remarks on those subjects.   I edited my post due to Steves rules.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Loren said:

That being said, I really do like Gary and his videos. But to me personally, it is a bit like a Doctor giving you tons of great, legitimate medical advice, and then following it up with "oh and try some healing crystals / homeopathy / some other pseudoscience". Even if their initial advice is correct and totally medically sound, the last part makes me feel a bit uneasy.

I personally believe your analogy above is false at least in the context of Gary's XP videos and I will constrain it to that because that is the original topic of this thread.

First of all, we are talking metal detecting, not advice from a professional on matters affecting life or death (medicine, gun safety) or personal beliefs (religion, mysticism).  Second, his belief of dowsing, if true (I'll take your word on it as I was blissfully unaware of this before you mentioned it), never factors in to the detector advice and tips he presents on the XP detectors.

Since the following is an opinion, I can't really use it as an argument to counter your analogy, but will mention it just the same for consideration.  I consider technical expertise on detector operation and detecting technique completely unrelated to "dowsing".

So whether or not Gary believes in dowsing or the Easter Bunny is immaterial to me as long as he is 1) not weaving it into the videos as relevant to the topic at hand and 2) I have enough rudimentary knowledge of the subject that I can trust that his advice on this specific detector is fundamentally sound whether or not I might question his beliefs/judgment in other aspects of his vast areas of "expertise". 

So...my take is the Gary "situation" or whatever you want to call it, is not at all like a "Doctor giving you tons of great, legitimate medical advice, and then following it up with "oh and try some healing crystals / homeopathy / some other pseudoscience".

I suppose one could say that since I had the luxury of being blissfully ignorant of Gary's total belief system that I never had anything to reference that might make me question his credibility.  I really have no informed opinion on the subject of dowsing, regardless, I still maintain that whatever Gary thinks about dowsing is immaterial to my view on the credibility of his detecting advice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Loren said:

I did say:

Quite frankly it doesn't seem like you even read what I wrote. 🤷‍♂️

I was talking specifically about your quoted analogy which was poor and not well thought out, but at least you are very consistent and that shows up in your classic deflection/cherry picking style of debating topics.   Especially telling that you cherry pick one of your own quotes that basically undermines your own original analogy in a poor attempt to deflect what I wrote.  Classic. 

I find a lot that you have written is self-serving and you seem to always have to get the last word in.  So you probably have a point regarding the not reading part.  In fact, not reading what you wrote might be my #1 New Year's resolution.  Not because your points are necessarily invalid or not thought provoking, but your style is definitely off-putting.  Speaking of "putting",  I'm putting my handbag down now.  Wasted too much time with both replies.  :laugh:

Enjoy getting your last word in on this post, I won't be replying...or perhaps even reading...it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I was talking specifically about your quoted analogy which was poor and not well thought out, but at least you are very consistent and that shows up in your classic deflection/cherry picking style of debating topics.   Especially telling that you cherry pick one of your own quotes that basically undermines your own original analogy in a poor attempt to deflect what I wrote.  Classic. 

I find a lot that you have written is self-serving and you seem to always have to get the last word in.  So you probably have a point regarding the not reading part.  In fact, not reading what you wrote might be my #1 New Year's resolution.  Not because your points are necessarily invalid or not thought provoking, but your style is definitely off-putting.  Speaking of "putting",  I'm putting my handbag down now.  Wasted too much time with both replies.  :laugh:

Enjoy getting your last word in on this post, I won't be replying...or perhaps even reading...it.

Maybe I should change the title of the thred to "Lets block Loren" I had forgot about that function but was made aware of it from one of our other members...so for the first time I've employed it...and it works! 

This was starting out as a good topic too bad it veered the wrong way. 

strick

• Like 2
  • Haha 1