2 Tones Vs 50 Tones On The Beach

I've been hunting in primarily Park 2 with 50 Tones and no discrimination (all metal) on land for the last year or so and feel I have learned to hear some nuances as to target sizes and shapes with that. I previously hunted in the stock Park 1 with 5 Tones and felt I wasn't hearing all the information that was coming in from the targets. I usualy go to the East Coast of Florida one or two times a year and use the stock Beach 1 or Beach 2 programs which are 5 Tones.

I was reading some discussions where different tones were discussed and someone mentioned they could hear nuances of target responses in 2 Tones and that confused me. Isn't 2 Tones sort of a dig everything not ferrous sort of scenario? Is there more information in the 2nd Tone that I'm not hearing? I've only ever used 2 Tones playing around with the stock Field 1 so I haven't used it enough to find out much about it.

So do you beach hunters use 2 Tones, 5 Tones, or 50 Tones and which works better for you?

Thanks in Advance!

• Like 1

I feel it is just a personal preference. On the beaches  down here my wife likes 5 tone and I always use 50 tone. In the dry sand we both like park 2 ,seems we have much better response to small gold, But of course in wet sand or in the surf you have to use beach modes to handle the salt. Beach 2 works best for us.  Usually dig most everything with a solid beep , except when I get lazy and then no dig 14s and 1s . Sure I miss something good once in a while but the trade off of 1000 trash targets justifies it for me.

• Like 4

I use 2 tones. Tried 5T and 50T but found that by running hot, it was harder to tell what was 1 of the 50T vs a false tone. In two tones I can tell false tones better. I don't worry too much about numbers since corroded zincs and corroded bottle caps can read in many of the ring ID's. Also bigger aluminum foil can get into the small ring numbers. So I skip the Target ID's all together. Now that's not to say that I don't get excited about seeing the number 1 or 9 when you are in an area that does not have any aluminum foil kicking around. It's just easier and faster to listen for one mid tone, rather than 50 different tones. I watch a lot of videos of guys working a signal for eternity, trying to determine if they are going to dig it or not. I can have 3 targets done by then 😄

• Like 6

99% of my detecting is done on Florida's beaches and I've experimented with tone settings as has been discussed in this thread.  Ultimately, I settled on 3 tones and it's worked very well for me.

~ My attempt at using 50 tones proved impossible for me...information overload! I then tried 5 tones and although much more understandable than 50, I felt that 5 tones was really unnecessary and might even be overkill.  Why?

~ ALL targets fall within 3 categories/zones of conductivity of Low, Medium or High so it made more sense for me to focus on those 3 zones and then align the tones accordingly. The tones provided information on what zone I was dealing with while the VDI gave me some rough indication as to where that target fell within the range of that zone.

~ I also wanted a system that wasn't apt to cause me to ignore good targets because they were similar in make up to worthless targets. Example; gold and aluminum are both mid level conductors and generate similar VDI within that range, I therefore didn't want to exclude anything within the Mid or High level conductivity scale. Yes, I'll dig aluminum so as not to pass up potential gold and dig other high conductive targets so as not to pass up silver.

~ I tested quite a number common targets of varying size and metallurgical composition and came up with some common VDI ranges that I see on our beaches for each of the conductivity zones. I then modified the 5 tone option to 3 tones which suited me just fine for the beach hunting I do.

My results:

Low conductive targets ranged from -9 to 0 and I assigned it Tone level 1 (the old iron grunt)

Medium targets ranged from 1 to 18 so I chose Tone 12...a nice mid level tone

High conductors were 19+ so I gave them the highest Tone level of 25

To reduce five tones to three simply involves assigning the same tone for three zones of the five possible zones:
i.e.
Zone 1 = Tone 1;
Zone 2 = Tone 12;
Zones 3, 4 and 5 = Tone 25

~ In my work with a local museum however, the 2 tone option could also be used. When digging museum quality artifacts, iron is a valued metal so I dig everything. I also dig it all when I detect along Florida's Treasure Coast as remnants of the ships fall within the iron or low conductive range and are often times found along our beaches.

Just the view from my foxhole...your view may vary.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

So do you beach hunters use 2 Tones, 5 Tones, or 50 Tones and which works better for you?

All I hunt is beaches. I hunt in the Horseshoe mode 1 tone. I like hearing the full information of every target in one tone. Also, my goal is not to have my machine "sing" at me.  Second goal, to identify targets as ferrous or nonferrous.  ALL nonferrous targets come out, period

• Like 3

I've always used 2 tone with iron at 1. 

I might try 3 tone. I always liked the distinct tones on the CZ5. I wish I could get those tone on the Nox.

I will be getting a Legend. I like the tones better than the Nox. I want to see how the tones can be adjusted.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

99% of my detecting is done on Florida's beaches and I've experimented with tone settings as has been discussed in this thread.  Ultimately, I settled on 3 tones and it's worked very well for me.

~ My attempt at using 50 tones proved impossible for me...information overload! I then tried 5 tones and although much more understandable than 50, I felt that 5 tones was really unnecessary and might even be overkill.  Why?

~ ALL targets fall within 3 categories/zones of conductivity of Low, Medium or High so it made more sense for me to focus on those 3 zones and then align the tones accordingly. The tones provided information on what zone I was dealing with while the VDI gave me some rough indication as to where that target fell within the range of that zone.

~ I also wanted a system that wasn't apt to cause me to ignore good targets because they were similar in make up to worthless targets. Example; gold and aluminum are both mid level conductors and generate similar VDI within that range, I therefore didn't want to exclude anything within the Mid or High level conductivity scale. Yes, I'll dig aluminum so as not to pass up potential gold and dig other high conductive targets so as not to pass up silver.

~ I tested quite a number common targets of varying size and metallurgical composition and came up with some common VDI ranges that I see on our beaches for each of the conductivity zones. I then modified the 5 tone option to 3 tones which suited me just fine for the beach hunting I do.

My results:

Low conductive targets ranged from -9 to 0 and I assigned it Tone level 1 (the old iron grunt)

Medium targets ranged from 1 to 18 so I chose Tone 12...a nice mid level tone

High conductors were 19+ so I gave them the highest Tone level of 25

To reduce five tones to three simply involves assigning the same tone for three zones of the five possible zones:
i.e.
Zone 1 = Tone 1;
Zone 2 = Tone 12;
Zones 3, 4 and 5 = Tone 25

~ In my work with a local museum however, the 2 tone option could also be used. When digging museum quality artifacts, iron is a valued metal so I dig everything. I also dig it all when I detect along Florida's Treasure Coast as remnants of the ships fall within the iron or low conductive range and are often times found along our beaches.

Just the view from my foxhole...your view may vary.

Thank you ColonelDan, I saw your 3-Tone post before but couldn't remember where I saw it. I definitely want to try that and 2-Tones as well. When I go to the beach, I usually dig everything anyway, but 50 Tones gets tiresome sometimes and I was curious about less tones to maintain my sanity. 😉 I will definitely be trying your 3-Tone program.

Allons!

• Thanks 1

5 tone and dig it all, especially iron grunts that are deep in the wet sand. It's amazing how many targets clear up once I take a scoop of sand off the top. I keep my tones the same whether it is dirt, dry sand or wet sand so my ears are always tuned to the same sounds. Always hunt in AM as well. 

• Like 1

It's interesting to see various methods we're developing on the Nox. I started out in 5 tone but there was 50 tone just sitting there......so I've been trying to decipher 50 tone lately ,  Each one has a name for us musicians but the chart linking them all to their respective target doesn't seem to exist ,,,yet.  thus the deciphering part...arrrrrrrrrr 

I figure if the the Nox is capable of something I should at least investigate ......finances say we're hitched for the long run so I'm sure I'll go back and investigate other tone options.  Kinda reminds me of how I learned everything a effects processor did in my music biz "early days" I'm not there yet but I will be,,,,maybe skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

If I do get there ? Being here  helped make it happen . 

THX to ALL of you  !      Ooooie  ( Yes it's a word , well at least it is uptah camp...Think of Oh, Ayuh... but with more feeling .) 

As always , YMMV  aka "different strokes for different folks"

• Like 1