2 Tones Vs 50 Tones On The Beach

Full tones can be too much if you are not used to it. For me though my detector is like my buddy that talks to me. I just pretty much always use full tones even when in theory there is no reason. If I’m digging all non-ferrous, two tones is fine in theory.

The detector talks to me in full tones, all that information being imparted via the language. It’s a vocabulary, like my little friend knows 50 words. Then I tell the detector it can only use two words, yes or no. And it works. But I miss the conversation we were having. It’s like I gagged my little buddy, and for me, the detector no longer sounds “normal.”

I’m not knocking what anyone else does, or advising anyone do what I do. But basically I always run full tones because, well, that’s what I’ve been doing so long now that anything else seems off to me.

• Like 6

I'm the same way Steve. I've used full tones for so long that using anything else sounds boring, plus I get ear fatigue listening to the same tone over and over again. I think I get a better idea on what the target is too. I still dig everything non-ferrous at the beach, but, I think I do a better job of playing "name that tune" before the target is out of the hole, than by using fewer tones.

• Like 3

I agree about 50 tones, I'm very use to that on land and that's all I normally use. At the beach I have been running the stock Beach modes with 5 tones. I don't hear the nuances I hear in 50 tones, but on the beach I just dig it all anyway. I was just curious if there was some magic in using minimal tones in the sand. I am going to experiment with Colonel Dan's 3 Tones setup, because there are a few places on land that I hunt that have dense trash and very high mineralization that are very fatiguing in 50 tones. Thank you for all the comments, I appreciate the wealth of knowledge you all share. 🙂 

10 hours ago, mcjtom said:

Col Dan's 3 tone setup is similar to the fixed one on Vanquish 440.  There, the mid tone goes up to ID 17 with high tone starting at 18.  What is the logic behind choosing this particular breakpoint between mid and high tones?

18/19 seems to be the most common break point between the mid tone and high tone targets that I tested.  Granted, I primarily focused on common targets I find on our beaches so my break point of 19 isn’t gospel for all situations nor all possible targets that may fall at that point on the ID spectrum.  
Why Minelab chose 17 was most likely based on the particular target array they selected during testing. The difference between 17 - 18 is insignificant based on my beach experience.

Just the scale from my foxhole….😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1