Northern Cal. Gold Rush Era Finds

Interesting that the cartridge is a Henry, but it does not have the double square hammer marks typical of the Henry rifle. I have not seen the single circular hammer mark on a Henry before. I have heard that some 44 caliber revolvers could accept the Henry.

• Like 2

I don't claim to be an expert, but based upon some research I had done previously regarding the firing pin strike pattens and a couple quick google searches, he likely has Winchester ammunition - all be it period - as Winchester has used the H headstamp.   All kinds of online references to Mr. Henry and Winchester and how that came to pass in the mid 1860's.

I have also been curious as I dig up many different calibers with the same H stamp in old west locations, and i have also seen many with the single pin strike and many with the double strike.  Again, not having owned an old Henry's repeater, my understanding is that they have the double tap when fired from a Henry's rifle.  Other rifle/pistol brands like Winchester are probably responsible for this example.

I've picked up several .56 or .58 caliber rimfires in the desert, and boy do they look intimidating when sitting next to a .44.  The ballistics on those must have been entertaining out past 100 yards...but god help you if you caught one at close range.

Super job on the seated!  Can't beat that with a stick!

Best,

Zincoln

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Zincoln said:

I don't claim to be an expert, but based upon some research I had done previously regarding the firing pin strike pattens and a couple quick google searches, he likely has Winchester ammunition - all be it period - as Winchester has used the H headstamp.   All kinds of online references to Mr. Henry and Winchester and how that came to pass in the mid 1860's.

I have also been curious as I dig up many different calibers with the same H stamp in old west locations, and i have also seen many with the single pin strike and many with the double strike.  Again, not having owned an old Henry's repeater, my understanding is that they have the double tap when fired from a Henry's rifle.  Other rifle/pistol brands like Winchester are probably responsible for this example.

I've picked up several .56 or .58 caliber rimfires in the desert, and boy do they look intimidating when sitting next to a .44.  The ballistics on those must have been entertaining out past 100 yards...but god help you if you caught one at close range.

Super job on the seated!  Can't beat that with a stick!

Best,

Zincoln

Hotchkiss

On 12/29/2021 at 3:11 PM, deathray said:

Nice finds. That's a center disc to a 2 piece miners buckle...1850-55 or so. Not Navy. 

Bingo!  Thanks Ray!

• Like 1

Thanks I needed that after the glare on the Deus screen discussion.  On another note it's nice to deathray back again! 

strick

Winchester has used the H headstamp on rimfire(.22 cal) up to modern times. It honors their relationship with B. Tyler Henry who was Winchester's factory superintendent. He developed the fixed ammunition and the Henry rifle was patented in 1857.

Incredible finds. What a successful day. My days out detecting are a blessing even when I come home empty handed which is quite often! I'm new to my Gold Bug 2 so learning how to use it has been interesting. No nuggets yet however I did find a 27 gram meteorite on my claim at Rye Patch. Thank you for sharing the images.

• Like 1