Nokta Or A Minelab?

Would like a little input.

I just sold a New Nox800 and took a $60 loss.Because when I bought it in July 2021 thought I would be using it

but turned out I was kinda busy and Sold it yesterday.

But I was looking around and saw the Nokta Brand ,Never heard of them but after reading a tads I liked what I was reading about the Nokta Makro Anfibio.

Seemed like the price was right and it seems that its built in Istanbul Turkey(Better then everything else made in Asia}

I see that a New Nokta Legend Pro is out and Not sure if its better then the Nokta Makro Anfibio?But I feel that there might be a replacement soon

with the Makro Anfibio since its a few years old and seems every metal detector company are upgrading their detectors much sooner.............JT

11 hours ago, johnnytuinals said:

I just sold a New Nox800 and took a $60 loss.Because when I bought it in July 2021 thought I would be using it

But I was looking around and saw the Nokta Brand ,Never heard of them but after reading a tads I liked what I was reading about the Nokta Makro Anfibio.

Seemed like the price was right and it seems that its built in Istanbul Turkey(Better then everything else made in Asia}

I see that a New Nokta Legend Pro is out and Not sure if its better then the Nokta Makro Anfibio?But I feel that there might be a replacement soon

with the Makro Anfibio since its a few years old and seems every metal detector company are upgrading their detectors much sooner.............JT

If you are going to beach hunt, the legend is the better choice over the Anfibio. Nokta detectors are better built than Minelab, so you won't have to worry about build quality. Their prices are also better than Minelab's prices.

51 minutes ago, johnnytuinals said:

I agree hearing about how Cheaply the Nox800 is.

But wondering if there will be a replacement soon with the Anfibio?

I am sure the Legend is a good detector and a good price but would like to see if a Anfibio will be introduced soon?..............JT

I wouldn't think so. There are three models of the Anfibio. The Anfibio weighs 3.7lbs. The Legend weighs 3lbs.

1 hour ago, johnnytuinals said:

I agree hearing about how Cheaply the Nox800 is.

But wondering if there will be a replacement soon with the Anfibio?

I am sure the Legend is a good detector and a good price but would like to see if a Anfibio will be introduced soon?..............JT

All I can say is that you sold a great metal detector...... I have owned five of them and can tell you that they are not cheaply made. They have some design flaws for sure just like practically every detector.

Anfibio is selectable single frequency so it will run in one frequency at a time.

The Legend like the Equinox has the choice of running in multiple frequencies simultaneously or can run in a selectable single frequency like the Anfibio. So the obvious question is: for the same money as the Anfibio, a person can buy the Legend (when they are available) or even spend less on an Equinox 600 and have both a very good single frequency detector and a great simultaneous multi frequency detector in one machine. 

Nokta Makro know this too. I don't see the Anfibio being updated or even manufactured for very much longer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, johnnytuinals said:

Seems that they are available where I bought my MineLab?And NO TAX.Seems I am leaning towards the Legend.

https://texhomametaldetectors.com/collections/nokta

There are no consumer model Legends available for sale anywhere. There are a few pre-production beta test versions in the hands of the final round of field testers. Just guessing but I don’t see the Legend actually arriving in the USA for sale before February. Texhoma does not have them in stock yet in spite of what their website says. No one does. 

On 12/29/2021 at 10:51 PM, johnnytuinals said:

JT

Before you purchase another detector dust collector, consider how you want to use that detector then figure out if your lifestyle actually allows you time to use it.  Not sure your current situation, but from what I can tell you started out with some light beach detecting decades ago then moved to the mountains and haven'treally detected since.  Two very different detecting environments.  The Minelab you sold had the versatility to handle them both as well as other situations.  The Legend, when it finally comes out may have similar versatility.

I usually advise someone who is just getting into the hobby to join a local detecting club, understand the varied types of metal detecting pursuits (e.g., beach detecting for jewelry and coins, park detecting for coins/jewelry, relic hunting for historic artifacts, gold prospecting, contest hunting, and water hunting to name a few).  All of these pursuits are very different, generally require you to be comfortable in the elements and require additional gear to aid in target recovery suited to the environment you are detecting in (e.g., electronic target pinpointers and sand/water scoops for beach hunting, shovels for fields, and diggers and other implements for recovering targets from turf while leaving no trace).  It's a lot less about getting the most expensive or highest performing detector (they all excel at different aspects of detecting depth, separation, hot ground, salt beach).  It's more about value and versatility and knowing enough about what you really want it for vs. what it can do.  Just like using Tiger Woods golf clubs does not make you great at golf, a top end detector doesn't make detecting easy.  It's more about location, research, access, and really learning your detector whether it costs $200 or $2000.  

It involves understanding the local laws regarding detecting access to public sites like beaches and parks (access is not a given) or securing permissions to private property generally through door knocking (if you have no local access to sites you are going to have to hit the road and find them - I have to drive at least an hour to any of my sites, the Beach, or to meet up at buddies' permissions).

It involves hours of digging junk sprinkled with moments of joy digging keeper targets.  It is relaxing and peaceful or frustrating and tedious depending on your attitude and point of view. 

It is about research, discovery, treasure, passion, friendships, busting chops, practical jokes, and natural beauty.  It's about poking around burned out neighborhoods, spider infested shacks, poison ivy, being chased by dogs or bears, and possibly getting shot at, dehydrated, snakebit, or injured. It's about gold or silver shining as bright in your plug as the day it was lost.  It's about holding a piece of history in your hand, a uniform button lost 200 years ago or a lead bullet carved by a soldier to look like a chess piece to stave off hours of boredom.  It's scooping a platinum and diamond encrusted ring from a slurry of wet sand... It's anout filling up junk buckets with pull tabs, cans, bottlecaps, plow parts, broken toys, ketchup packs, and nails.

Bottom line, be sure you want to really pursue this hobby before you start dropping a lot of bucks on gear.  Consider a capable entry level detector such as the Nokta Simplex, ML Vanquish, or Garrett Apex and save yourself some $$ up front.  You can always invest in a more capable detector if you get hooked and then will have a spare backup detector if your flagship goes on the fritz.

See if you can tag along with a detecting club member or local detectorist, borrow their gear, and see if detecting is really your thing.  Then once you figure out just how you want to use thar detector and determine whether your lifestyle can accommodate the time commitment involved,  we can really advise and help you ultimately decide the right machine for your needs and for some unique new adventures and fun. 

If I am totally misreading the situation, my apologies.  I just want you to get off on the right foot and enjoy the hobby.  Wish someone had given me this advice when I was first starting out.  Wasted a lot of time and money.  But finally figured it out and got hooked after seeking out some local folks who showed me the ropes.

Good Luck

HTH.

• Like 5

Or, spend just a little money on a Minelab Vanquish 440 or 540 if you don't need a fully waterproofed detector. 

If you do buy a Minelab Vanquish, take the removable batteries out of it before you put it in storage. 

The Vanquish models have the same outstanding detection technology that is in the Equinox but with way less controls and adjustable features. They are super easy to learn, operate and pull out of the closet for a quick hunt. They detect way better than their inexpensive price and are perfect for the once a month or vacation detector user.

• Like 3