Nokta Or A Minelab?

The Equinox 800,I guess I lost $60 on it when I sold it 2 days ago lol(Not a lot of money}If I was still living in Long Island 10 mins from the Robert Moses Beach I would be hitting it all the time.When I had my 1st Detector in 1986 a Bounty Hunter Red Baron that I bought from JC Penneys lol.But Moving to the Poconos (Lots of State land}Makes it hard to find a place unless I am getting Lazy lol.There is a Metal Detector Club that meets every month(Lehigh Valley}That I keep saying that I should go and check it out.(But have not as of yet}I have a Garrett Master Hunter CX3(talking detector} that I have in my garage that I will be using when Winter is over unless I buy a Nokta Legend since they are New and kinda cheap in price.If you think I am wasting money on something I might not use, then you should see my Gibson and Fender Guitar Collection of nearly 50 American made guitars that I never have played yet and only getting dust on the cases loll..............JT

• Like 2

13 hours ago, johnnytuinals said:

There is a Metal Detector Club that meets every month(Lehigh Valley}That I keep saying that I should go and check it out.

There are a lot of advantages to attending (and joining) a local club, particularly when you are new to and unfamiliar with an area.  Many have club hunts where they meet at and search a park, school, or even a private permission.  And there's the camaraderie of like-minded people, too.  You'll be able to "pick some brains" on what detectors they use and how they set them up.  I highly recommend it.

• Like 6

Hey JT,

Just took a look at the history of the Poconos. There is a ton of history there, as a relic hunter I would be all over that place befriending landowners. Yeah the state land can be a problem but there are other avenues to get to stuff. Are you living in/near a rural area? Catch a farmer out working and just talk. Make sure you're not impatient, just be casual, and ask if it would be ok to hunt the farm during fallow time, the best would be after a soybean harvest. Corn stalks can put ya off metal detecting! 😀

Go to www.historicaerials.com and find your area. If you're using a GPS-enabled device, it will find it for you. Open the topos tab and pick an older map, they will have old houses marked with square dots. You can then switch to the aerials and see where the houses stood. You can match them up with an app like OnX Hunt and track your scouting.

Cap'n you just have to get excited about the history and the locations you can go to. I know I'm in a 'gold mine' of sorts, but it's everywhere... Sharpen up your social graces and get out there! 🙂 Join a club if you want to, but if you do get some great places be careful about revealing them.

Aside, I used to have a ton of US made Fenders myself, sold 'em all to get stuff more relevant to my lifestyle because I retired from music altogether. I did buy some cheaper guitars because they would steal your gear at a gig for the last few years of it. 🤣 Now I'm gonna sell them for my next adventure. 👍

• Like 2

For the moment . Wait. 

The Legend is coming and i am not certain of all its capabilities after seeing a Calabash Digger video on it . 

No Iron Bias ? and black sand capability and the Ferro check only working on shallow targets ?? were the subjects . 

As for the Nox 800 ? If i buy the Legend that is to replace the Nox. But right now i need answers .

Or the Legend wont be bought.

I wonder if the reason for the delay to the shops is so Nokta can sort these issues ?

1 hour ago, Nuke em said:

For the moment . Wait. 

The Legend is coming and i am not certain of all its capabilities after seeing a Calabash Digger video on it . 

No Iron Bias ? and black sand capability and the Ferro check only working on shallow targets ?? were the subjects . 

As for the Nox 800 ? If i buy the Legend that is to replace the Nox. But right now i need answers .

Or the Legend wont be bought.

I wonder if the reason for the delay to the shops is so Nokta can sort these issues ?

These are some of the questions Calabash raised. Just going by the manual from my interpretation of it:

Legend Iron Bias....

I can't find anything resembling an Iron Bias function in the Legend manual either. Maybe the Legend's SMF technology doesn't need it.

There is not an iron bias function on the Deus 2 either other than possibly the bottle cap reject function.

Legend Black Beach Sand capability......

When the Legend encounters strong black sand concentrations a warning triangle appears..

The instructions are definitely vague for that warning triangle. Like Calabash indicated, does the detector just overload, is sensitivity automatically reduced (like on the Equinox) or is their a ground balance adjustment which means one should be using tracking ground balance ???????

Legend Ferro Check only on shallower targets

Nothing unusual about that. There are very specific instruction in the manual on how to use it. It won't automatically give an accurate reading unless the instructions are followed. So just waving the coil over a target in one direction may not be good enough for an accurate reading. Goldmonster 1000 and XP ORX have to be operated the same way to get optimal results.

The Equinox iron bias and its ability to determine ferrous/non-ferrous on deeper near edge of detection iron is very hit and miss. Circling the target and checking IDs and listening for iron is still necessary. Turning up iron bias helps on shallower targets for sure.

Deus 1 and Deus 2, the same happens whether using the horseshoe graph screen or the X/Y screen. Deeper targets will often indicate part ferrous and part non ferrous. The Deus 2 Bottle Cap Reject I have never used or seen fully demonstrated on deeper iron. Gold and Relic mode's Disc Iron Amplitude Rejection function is really only for shallower targets also.

Legend Threshold Tone

The threshold tone can be turned on (above setting zero) or off in any mode and it has 25 levels of volume. In Park Field and Beach it is a reference threshold that will null on rejected targets.  In Gold mode its default setting is 12 and it appears to be a real threshold tone that is directly related to the target tone since the manual specifically says it will not null on rejected targets. There is also a threshold frequency adjustment which I think means you can adjust the pitch higher or lower of the threshold tone.

Legend's Four Default Discrimination Patterns equal Notching????

The Legend has four preset discrimination patterns that can be used as a short cut with the press of a button (similar to the Nox horseshoe button) in any mode to change the level of iron range acceptance. All (iron accepted 0 to 60), Ground (ground noise rejected 3 to 60 accepted), Iron (iron rejected 11 to 60 accepted) and Custom (iron rejected 12 to 60 accepted.)  The Custom slot can be altered and saved. Those numbers come from the charts in the manual on page 11. There are slightly different default discrimination patterns that are preset for each of the four detecting modes which are also on page 11. 

The Legend has a totally separate single digit accept/reject notching feature similar to the Equinox where you can accept or reject any number or numbers manually or automatically.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2022 at 11:49 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

These are some of the questions Calabash raised. Just going by the manual from my interpretation of it:

Legend Iron Bias....

I can't find anything resembling an Iron Bias function in the Legend manual either. Maybe the Legend's SMF technology doesn't need it.

There is not an iron bias function on the Deus 2 either other than possibly the bottle cap reject function.

Legend Black Beach Sand capability......

When the Legend encounters strong black sand concentrations a warning triangle appears..

The instructions are definitely vague for that warning triangle. Like Calabash indicated, does the detector just overload, is sensitivity automatically reduced (like on the Equinox) or is their a ground balance adjustment which means one should be using tracking ground balance ???????

Legend Ferro Check only on shallower targets

Nothing unusual about that. There are very specific instruction in the manual on how to use it. It won't automatically give an accurate reading unless the instructions are followed. So just waving the coil over a target in one direction may not be good enough for an accurate reading. Goldmonster 1000 and XP ORX have to be operated the same way to get optimal results.

The Equinox iron bias and its ability to determine ferrous/non-ferrous on deeper near edge of detection iron is very hit and miss. Circling the target and checking IDs and listening for iron is still necessary. Turning up iron bias helps on shallower targets for sure.

Deus 1 and Deus 2, the same happens whether using the horseshoe graph screen or the X/Y screen. Deeper targets will often indicate part ferrous and part non ferrous. The Deus 2 Bottle Cap Reject I have never used or seen fully demonstrated on deeper iron. Gold and Relic mode's Disc Iron Amplitude Rejection function is really only for shallower targets also.

Legend Threshold Tone

The threshold tone can be turned on (above setting zero) or off in any mode and it has 25 levels of volume. In Park Field and Beach it is a reference threshold that will null on rejected targets.  In Gold mode its default setting is 12 and it appears to be a real threshold tone that is directly related to the target tone since the manual specifically says it will not null on rejected targets. There is also a threshold frequency adjustment which I think means you can adjust the pitch higher or lower of the threshold tone.

Legend's Four Default Discrimination Patterns equal Notching????

The Legend has four preset discrimination patterns that can be used as a short cut with the press of a button (similar to the Nox horseshoe button) in any mode to change the level of iron range acceptance. All (iron accepted 0 to 60), Ground (ground noise rejected 3 to 60 accepted), Iron (iron rejected 11 to 60 accepted) and Custom (iron rejected 12 to 60 accepted.)  The Custom slot can be altered and saved. Those numbers come from the charts in the manual on page 11. There are slightly different default discrimination patterns that are preset for each of the four detecting modes which are also on page 11. 

The Legend has a totally separate single digit accept/reject notching feature similar to the Equinox where you can accept or reject any number or numbers manually or automatically.

I think i will get the Legend anyway . 

My Deus 1 goes tomorrow as part payment for the Deus 11 . 

They are both a must have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nuke em said:

I think i will get the Legend anyway . 

My Deus 1 goes tomorrow as part payment for the Deus 11 . 

They are both a must have.

Deus 1 and ORX owners who have the money and plan on detecting a lot.......its a no brainer, get the Deus 2.

I like the Legend too but not as an equal competitor of Deus 2. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Deus 1 and ORX owners who have the money and plan on detecting a lot.......its a no brainer, get the Deus 2.

I like the Legend too but not as an equal competitor of Deus 2. 

I sold my Deus 1 today and paid the balance for the Deus 11. Now the wait.

Still not sure of the Legend.  If I buy it , it's to replace the Nox.  

But at the moment I might leave and look at it later.

From the looks of it I don't think the Legend will replace my Nox. To me it appears and sounds like Nokta Makro made a detector that almost mimics the Nox, IMO they should have set themselves apart rather than played follow the leader. Yea the Legend is probably going to be better built, has a flashlight (which I will never use) vibration (which I personally will never use) a clock, etc. small features. The fact that the Legend doesn't have iron bias is a big factor in it not replacing the Nox. I also don't want to learn a new set of target ID's, it's already hard enough to go back and forth between the Dues and the Nox as it is. If anything I'll eventually drop the Nox in favor of the Deus 2, depending on how it performs in bad ground.

• Like 1