TDI Beach Hunter Compared To Equinox 800 W/15" Coil

23 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

It was better but both worked nicely. I just ran them at 20Khz.... seemed smoother than multi. Sensitivity around 20. A bit chirpy, but when you hit a target you know it. At least you can hunt since the beach modes don't work very well at all in that environment.

How was target ID running gold modes at the beach? 

38 minutes ago, midalake said:

How was target ID running gold modes at the beach? 

Fairly good since nothing was real deep.  I dug a couple of #1's and all were foil unfortunately. I think nickels were 12. I was digging it all so I didn't pay much attention to the numbers. I was just happy the Equinox was making noise in that type of  sand. The silence was killing me before I switched to gold 😄

• Thanks 1

My Equinox 600 goes very deep  at Huntington Beach & Bolsa Chica Beach’s ……can’t comment on other beach’s  ……..very happy ……..I’ve also used PI’s in The Pass …….with good luck.

With The 600 I really only need one detector …..works great on Beach wet sand / Dry sand & My local Parks 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rob in (ca) said:

My Equinox 600 goes very deep  at Huntington Beach & Bolsa Chica Beach’s ……can’t comment on other beach’s  ……..very happy ……..I’ve also used PI’s in The Pass …….with good luck.

With The 600 I really only need one detector …..works great on Beach wet sand / Dry sand & My local Parks 

Try going a bit north to sunset. Under a cut , when it's deep black. That puppy will be worthless. And the pi ain't much better. Lol

This kind of comparison needs to be grounded in a solid knowledge of the site and both detectors.  A pulse in not a machine to scout around with--except in the cleanest of beaches.  That Said, with some good basic pulse skills it's possible to have a decent level of accuracy.  There's  such a thing as a pulse that will give a lot of target information.  Examples are the Barracuda, and the CS6PI.  While these are not exactly mainstream  detectors--they do the job of  a pulse while offering some selectivity.  The Fisher Impulse AQ also offers rudimentary tone ID and like the TDI--great audio.  The idea of scouting and assessing with a VLLF is a good one though.  As well there are situations where pulse is just overkill.   The NOX is a great machine for picking though junk--especially in that you  can select for "clean" metal using the F2 bias. The real skill in using multiple machines is in finding and recognizing  situations where each can do what it does best.

cjc

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cjc said:

This kind of comparison needs to be grounded in a solid knowledge of the site and both detectors.  A pulse in not a machine to scout around with--except in the cleanest of beaches.  That Said, with some good basic pulse skills it's possible to have a decent level of accuracy.  There's  such a thing as a pulse that will give a lot of target information.  Examples are the Barracuda, and the CS6PI.  While these are not exactly mainstream  detectors--they do the job of  a pulse while offering some selectivity.  The Fisher Impulse AQ also offers rudimentary tone ID and like the TDI--great audio.  The idea of scouting and assessing with a VLLF is a good one though.  As well there are situations where pulse is just overkill.   The NOX is a great machine for picking though junk--especially in that you  can select for "clean" metal using the F2 bias. The real skill in using multiple machines is in finding and recognizing  situations where each can do what it does best.

cjc

I don't agree with much of this. And I been pulsing forever. The last thing I want is a pulse on big barren desert beaches. Reason is you really have to find the dips , scallops, etc and work very slow. Your not covering ground. I prefer a light to medium trash and good target rich area , as the deep gold I can pick out over other inexperienced hunters , using say a Nox. In extreme heavy trash , a pulse is almost unworkable. Heavy mineralization and black sand I want a pulse. But I do agree on being able to locate and read a beach is of utmost importance.