Hello everyone. Hope you all had a lovely Christmas. I've been doing pretty well with my nokta makro multi kruzer. I love it. I did some detecting in an old park today and found my first silver content silver. A 1929 Canadian dime. 80 percent silver 20 percent copper. Now I run my machine on 5 khz as this is supposed to give more depth for silver and copper etc  I can't for the life of me remember what the dime was ringing in at but it rings it at 73 air tested. My question is it possible for that same dime to ring in at 30 on vdi and then obviously it'll change to 73 once out? I switched to disc at 55 and didn't really get many coins for the rest of the day. Found a 1897 young Vicky large cent that rang in at a choppy 30 to 75 and then 54 out of the ground. They're bronze. So far I've found 8 large cents numerous relics and the silver dime. 

Pretty happy. I know vdi is just a guide like. I'm thinking I may just dig anything that has a solid tone. I also dug 10 pull tabs and 5 bottle caps today haha 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, NavyNestor1878 said:

first silver content silver

Congratulations! I don’t run the Nokta but wanted to congratulate you. We always will remember those ‘firsts’ of each type found. One thing I wish I had started earlier was to document the best finds as well all the others. All the best in your journey. Happy Hunting

A coil reads all the items that are under it at the same time, and delivers a single target id number. Not only various metal items, but the ground itself.  Two nickels stacked together do not read like a nickel. So a dime in bad ground next to a piece of trash can read very different than a dime in the air. The more you learn about target discrimination, the more you will see that simply digging all non-ferrous items is not a bad approach in some locations.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NavyNestor1878 said:

My question is it possible for that same dime to ring in at 30 on vdi and then obviously it'll change to 73 once out? I switched to disc at 55 and didn't really get many coins for the rest of the day. Found a 1897 young Vicky large cent that rang in at a choppy 30 to 75 and then 54 out of the ground. They're bronze. So far I've found 8 large cents numerous relics and the silver dime. 

Hi and welcome to this forum.

I have no experience using the Multi Kruzer on Canadian soil or coins. I have tested a Nokta Makro Simplex on your modern clad. The target ID characteristics of the Kruzer and Simplex are similar. I do know that most modern Canadian coins have steel in them that is mixed in with other metals. If you are looking for modern Canadian clad using a discrimination setting in the 50s that rejects any targets below 55 it may be very hard to get a good repeatable signal on the modern 10 cent, 25 cent, $1 and $2 coins. Even with discrimination on 0 and all targets accepted, those coins may sound iffy with mixed ferrous and non-ferrous responses depending on how they are oriented and what part of your DD coil is detecting them. Detecting $1 and $2 coins is always a big deal in my opinion and not something I would pass up. 

The Multi Kruzer can sometimes have some bouncy target IDs on deeper targets depending on your soil's level of iron mineralization. At least in my area, it had rock solid target IDs on surface to 3" coin sized targets but my area has high iron mineralization. Deeper targets had their target IDs up averaged so that for example your modern Canadian 5 cent coin's target ID would change from the 30s  to the 70s fairly quickly. It would be unusual to have the opposite happen in normal soil so I would expect your pennies, dimes, quarters, $1 and $2 coins to be in the 80s to 90s when they are not also giving iron responses (except for your pennies which don't have any steel I believe). Silver and bronze coins should stay above your 55 target ID discrimination setting unless there are iron targets nearby.

Also, there is this from the Kruzer manual:

"Note: DISC. setting works inversely proportional to depth up to level 15 in all modes. In other words, as the DISC. is increased up to 15 stability will increase but depth will be reduced and vice versa. Above 15 though, both depth and noise will increase"

So, if you are running your Kruzer at disc. setting of 55 with high sensitivity above 89 or so, your Kruzer's target IDs may be fairly unstable. Setting the DISC at 15 or better somewhat below 15 with  89 or less sensitivity may stabilize target IDs more if your soil isn't too highly iron mineralized. In my soil conditions nothing helped with target ID stability. Hopefully your soil will be nicer to your Kruzer than mine was.

Like Steve said, hunting with as little discrimination as possible for the site you are on is always the best course of action even though digging plenty of trash targets will be part of the equation.

• Like 1

Navy, glad your doing well with the Kruzer, its a great machine. All I can tell you is air test and garden test your kruzer. I've done really well with my Kruzer but that only came from practice and testing multiple set ups. The Kruzer runs pretty hot and for me here in PA (USA) 5 Khz was the deepest and best freq. for coppers and silver. Make yourself a little vdi chart during testing and keep it with you for a cheat sheet. That being said pay attention to your tones and not so much the screen, this will help you put the pieces of the puzzle together when the numbers aren't so great. Hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck on the next hunt.