Fantastic hunting, glad you were able to get out there.

Great finds and glad to have the story behind the finds.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

If you like what I dug you should see the other guy... 😉

Will we?  😉

You've done quite well with your first full year of detecting.  Best is that you've not been afraid to get permissions, and those have paid off, deservedly so.  Hopefully you can get in some winter hunts in those tilled fields before the spring planting.

Any day I find an Indian Head penny is a very good day for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Will we?  😉

You've done quite well with your first full year of detecting.  Best is that you've not been afraid to get permissions, and those have paid off, deservedly so.  Hopefully you can get in some winter hunts in those tilled fields before the spring planting.

Any day I find an Indian Head penny is a very good day for me.

Thanks GB. I hate to put my detecting buddy on the spot, he's way busier than I am. 😀 

I'm sometimes shocked by the latitude the landowners allow me, and grateful for it. I hope this "country gentleman" will let me hunt the immediate yard. 🤞 2022 is full of possibilities, maybe even a rejection or two. As long as y'all can stand it, that is... 🤪

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NCtoad said:

That buttplate is really a neat find!   With stuff like that being found it’s just a matter of time before you start hitting silver and large cents.  Congrats on all the finds and thanks for posting!

Thanks NCT. 🙂 I'm hoping for a King George coin myself, in my first installment on this field I dug this by a signal tree:20211226_184744.thumb.jpg.2b748a7b3b9d67dfbc1e6e2727e933db.jpg

Problem is there is so much varied land here it's gonna take a while. 😀 

• Like 5

Hey 350 like you I got a late start in detecting. I think I first started in 2014-2015. Believe it or not it was my wife that perked my interest. Heres the short story. She became interested in gold panning. One day she asked me if I wanted to go with her and like a good husband I said yes even though I really did not want to. We drove deep into the heart of the 49's and panned for gold on the American river. I was bored to death..I think we found a couple flakes at best. Neither of us knew what we were doing. I told her we must be doing it wrong so a couple weekends later she decided to go get some sluicing/panning lessons up near Jamestown (not the one near you) Once again  she asked if I wanted to go and  this time I said no thanks I'm going fishing. She came home that evening and was all excited telling me about how much fun she had and really learned a lot and she showed me a couple tiny gold flakes floating around in a little vial. I said that great honey I'm glad you had fun..Then she pulls out this Garret catalog showing metal detectors with these nice big slugs of gold sitting on their coils.. I told her thats what I'm talking about right there...I'll get us a couple metal detectors and we can go hunting for some real gold together..

The point is I have my wife to thank for this obsession. I remind her of it once in a while. We've had lots of fun since and although she has not taken it to the crazy limits I have she still likes to detect for gold up in the mountains and jewelry on the beach. 

What got me started here was the fact that we both took up this hobby later in life and I regret not getting started sooner. I was wondering if you feel the same? I remember when I was a kid probably 17 or so I was driving down a desolate country road and there was my dads car parked near an old abandoned house and there he was with his detector. I stopped for a bit to see what he was doing and then drove off...My hobbies were hunting and fishing back then. I missed a good opportunity could have spent some time with my dad and possibly got hooked on detecting...Just think of all the stuff

I'll stop rambling now..nice hunt btw 

strick

• Like 3

I know if you had tried that detector one time you would have been hooked. It's ok though. You had other things to do at that time.

I tried my uncles metal detector and I was hooked. I was in school and started saving my money to buy my first detector. It was a Compass 77B Professional. It was pretty expensive for me buying it in a local grocery store. At the time I thought I could make a pretty good wage detecting. My pay in a grocery store was $1.65 and hour. It didn't work out that way lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, strick said:

Hey 350 like you I got a late start in detecting. I think I first started in 2014-2015. Believe it or not it was my wife that perked my interest. Heres the short story. She became interested in gold panning. One day she asked me if I wanted to go with her and like a good husband I said yes even though I really did not want to. We drove deep into the heart of the 49's and panned for gold on the American river. I was bored to death..I think we found a couple flakes at best. Neither of us knew what we were doing. I told her we must be doing it wrong so a couple weekends later she decided to go get some sluicing/panning lessons up near Jamestown (not the one near you) Once again  she asked if I wanted to go and  this time I said no thanks I'm going fishing. She came home that evening and was all excited telling me about how much fun she had and really learned a lot and she showed me a couple tiny gold flakes floating around in a little vial. I said that great honey I'm glad you had fun..Then she pulls out this Garret catalog showing metal detectors with these nice big slugs of gold sitting on their coils.. I told her thats what I'm talking about right there...I'll get us a couple metal detectors and we can go hunting for some real gold together..

The point is I have my wife to thank for this obsession. I remind her of it once in a while. We've had lots of fun since and although she has not taken it to the crazy limits I have she still likes to detect for gold up in the mountains and jewelry on the beach. 

What got me started here was the fact that we both took up this hobby later in life and I regret not getting started sooner. I was wondering if you feel the same? I remember when I was a kid probably 17 or so I was driving down a desolate country road and there was my dads car parked near an old abandoned house and there he was with his detector. I stopped for a bit to see what he was doing and then drove off...My hobbies were hunting and fishing back then. I missed a good opportunity could have spent some time with my dad and possibly got hooked on detecting...Just think of all the stuff

I'll stop rambling now..nice hunt btw 

strick

Thanks Strick!

I bought a metal detector back in the late 90s to detect my yard, it was a really old New England town, super rural. Never really got to use it as much as I wanted to. I think it was a cheap White's or a Bounty Hunter. I got it at a flea market. 😀 Left it behind when I moved here.

If ya don't know my story, I bought my first new detector in the summer of 2020 to find nails around my house after a roof job. I decided to check around the yard and dug a WW1 jacket button, and some colonials. Got a musket ball or two, and that was it. I grid searched my entire yard, found some more Colonial stuff. By then the farmers were picking up the beans in front of my house, and I asked them if I could hunt the farm.

I was digging lots of trash with the Ace 400, and thought I should look into a better one. My fabulous wife bought me my Equinox for Christmas. I bought it from a local dealer about two hours' drive. He told me he knew my area and the Equinox would be the best for me. Was he right, the rest is history, and it's all here. 🤣

My wife approves of my new hobby, especially since I've found jewelry for her and the grand kids. 😀 I usually get out 3-5 times a week, so she gets some peace. Let's just say that at 62, I still have a lot of energy. 

I've had so many different interests such as guitar playing in bands and professional wedding photography it was nice to get one that sorta keeps me around home and out of trouble. 😁 I sure don't regret starting last year, I can't believe my luck with all the stuff I've found in just a year!

I didn't really have time for it before I retired from the rat race. It blends in well with RV'ing, I'm glad I sold my huge boat and went to land yachting.

I'm in the process of selling all that other stuff so I can get a Deus 2, the Deus 1 wouldn't have done it for me. I want a waterproof detector that makes me dinner and calls me "honey" 🤣 won't settle for less at this point.

I wish my wife could detect with me, back in the boating days she wrecked her back, got a bad knee operation, and a hip replacement. From all that she has a tough time getting around or she'd be right there with me. 😵 She now lives vicariously on my antics, and loves camping. 👍

• Like 5

Your gonna like that Deus 2 I have a feeling. I use my Deus 1 like a carpenter would use a chisel. Picking through certain areas on a site that are full of nails. The Deus has great audio features for finding stuff in nails..I like full tones the best but I’m not super proficient as are others I know that use it exclusively. 

The reason for the ramble above was that your exploits reminded me of my first year of detecting having lots of fun and meeting new friends...it’s a great hobby. And our wives don’t mind either lol

Strick 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You have had a good season  , bet you'll start finding some amazing stuff as you work your way through the "easy finds" layer..

That farmer sure did make your year a good one !

Keep at 'er  !

• Thanks 1