Equinox 800 Manual Vs Legend Manual (side By Side)

The attached pdf file is a brief side by side comparison of the Minelab Equinox 800 eight (8) search modes/profiles to the Nokta Makro Legend four (4) search modes per their respective "User Manuals". Hopefully you will be able to open & preview the file by just "clicking" on the attached file below.

Nox Manual vs Legend Manual.pdf

• Like 4

Thanks for posting. From my reading of the Legend user manual it might be that each of the four modes has an additional 4 customizable user modes. That's 20 total possibilities saved on the detector. Hard to know for sure until you have one in hand. 16 or 20, either way is plenty. Lots to learn!

The NM Legend manual pages 22 & 23 explain the four (4) custom user profiles numbered 1,2,3 &4. User profile 1 is the default. All the custom user profiles have the default settings. It appears you can customize & save the four (4) detection modes (park, field, beach & goldfield) as a group to each of the custom user profiles 1 thru 4. 

However, keep an eye on any disclosure by NM regarding the frequency range weighted processing of SMF for the four detection modes especially modes park & field. The user can select settings such as recovery speed, single frequencies, etc but not the the SMF weighted range.

Calabash brought up an interesting question regarding the adjustability & depth of “Ferrocheck” as compared to the ML Equinox adjustable “Iron Bias”. 

You are probably correct on the % of saved profiles. The wording/translation to English has some shot comings but it is a Preliminary version.

Hopefully Nokta Makro will give some insight into the different Modes' filtering & SMF weighting goals. I'm not too concerned about the FerroCheck only being near surface/shallow. I would not use it much except for bottlecaps. Kind of like the Confidence Meter on my F5. I hunt by audio 90% and use TID to give clues only on anything of any depth. I am also not concerned about any lack of an Iron bias control. I want to get the full measure of response and adjust my mental bias according to the site conditions.

I think The Legend is going to be a excellent detector and give the Equinox some stiff competition. I am really looking forward to some field evaluations by serious unbiased users.

Ferrocheck looks interesting.  I like visual indicators as well as audio.  Visual can be more quantitative whereas audio doesn't require looking at the display -- thus faster decision making is possible.

Nice to see a 6 tone option.

How hard is it (more specifically, how many button presses) to change the User Profile?  I don't mean to set it up but to access it while detecting?  I was hoping it would be easy (preferably one, but two button presses wouldn't be bad) to go from one to another.

I would use different profiles to investigate certain targets.  It seems (from my preliminary reading of the manual) that they are more directed at having them set for different sites or conditions, where you make a change at the beginning of a hunt and just leave it there.  In that case it's not a big deal to press several times....

Looks like a range of seven to thirteen button clicks to set a specific detection mode. Five clicks in the menu settings to get the user profile; one to four clicks to scroll through the user profiles 1 thru 4; one to four clicks to select a specific detection mode. The NM Legend apparently saves and remembers the last settings used for any shutdown/restarts.

The “Ferrocheck” meter appear to drop off at depth based on target size & mass. Take a look at the air test video posted under Calabash’s pre-Vacation Questions in the “Nokta Makro Section. 

The air test video sets the Legend in “Field Mode” then the tester runs through an assortment of non-ferrous targets including a hammered silver coin. The “Ferrocheck” meter is taken off of the split screen as the tester runs the bag of coins & relics so no ferrous reading at depth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nokta Makro just announced the company is updating the Legend with additional SMF in order to provide Park 1 plus Park 2; Field 1 plus Field 2. The Legend is also to offer 4 tones. Estimated ship date February 2022. This improvements should place the Legend closer to the SMF offered by the ML Equinox. 

1 hour ago, HardPack said:

Nokta Makro just announced the company is updating the Legend with additional SMF in order to provide Park 1 plus Park 2; Field 1 plus Field 2. The Legend is also to offer 4 tones. Estimated ship date February 2022. This improvements should place the Legend closer to the SMF offered by the ML Equinox. 

Well at least as far as the terminology is concerned.  Hopefully, we can verify the changes do result in comparable or superior performance.  It is actually encouraging that Nokta is willing to consider such significant changes at this point.

• Like 2