Detector Hipstick 2.0, Who Has Them Now?

That's interesting Simon. I am about the same stature as you, I run a 7000 and if I did not have a HipStick I don't think I would be able to lug it around for multiple hours the way I do now, in terrain very similar to yours as well. It has become an integral part of my detecting and I hardly notice I am wearing it. Oh and did I mention my shoulder and back pain is gone?

• Like 1

I got a 'hip stick' replacement pack from Chris last summer I think.  It did not include a rod.  What it included was a solid plastic ring without the nylon little strap which wore out on mine thus the need for replacement.  I used my old rod that was cut for me by Chris when I was at his house one day.  The new one works just fine.

Before you throw your old rod away save it and you might be able to buy the new hardware which will make it better than new.

You can almost make one from the 'Bigg Lugg' type of tool carry when you get the ball and the socket which fits on your belt.  You still have to do some work.  It would be easier to get them from JP.

https://www.toolmarts.com/superior-parts-bl2-1bm-original-bigg-lugg-2-rubber-belt-hook-tool-holder-system-with-1-bungee-strap 

9 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Why wouldn’t you use it Simon? 🧐 

It's not that I don't like it, I'm just weird, I hate things on me like headphones, sunglasses, hats, the list goes on and I just get annoyed by it.  I tried it out and found it beneficial when I used the 17 inch Concentric coil on open flat ground but on variable hillsides the bungee alone annoys me so combining it with the stick was even worse.   Its not any products fault its just my oddity 😊

My bungee would only have a few hours on it since getting my GPZ, fortunately I mostly use lighter smaller coils anyway.  Just got back to my caravan from a hunt, the heat chased me away, we've been getting between 26 and 32 since I arrived at gold Country unfortunately as I struggle in heat.  I managed 3 bits of gold, no bungee of course 🙂 I know it's wrong and I'm silly as I might do myself damage. 

The hipstick made swinging the 17 inch on flat ground effortless, I think I'd use it if I was in Australia. 

A well-meaning suggestion: keep the HipStick for when your shoulder and back begin to suffer, it will help you. This is not being sarcastic at all. Even JP, who, compared to us, is huge, even he has suffered damage from swinging detectors. We may not do it full-time the way he is able to do at times, but the cumulative wear and tear will eventually appear. When it does, you will quickly get over feeling hemmed in by bungie's etc. if it means you aren't able to detect because of intense physical discomfort.

• Like 2

I like the hipstick for several reasons. I don't need a harness (good for hot climates-body more ventilated), I can still  have a small back pack or hydration bladder (not possible with harness), the weight distribution on the hips allows for excellent and effortless coil control (my 7000 floats horizontally totally balanced when I am not holding it with my hand), the ball and socket can easily be disconnected during digging or longer walking. One push and it is back in. Yes, it takes a while to get used to it, but once you have it for a day you never want to have anything else. Of course, the 6000/11 makes this obsolete. But with the 14DD or the 17 inch I put it back on. I also use it for the SDC when I have longer sessions without many targets. I once had my D-ring broken off where the bungee attaches so I replaced it with a little steel wire that you can screw tight. I had a previous version that uses a D-ring/strap instead of the D-ring/plastic bracket. I like those ones much better and they are more robust IMO.

GC

Here the two versions. The D-ring broke off quickly from the plastic bracket.

H-01.thumb.JPG.77f0aec59347158a2af856d2fb3ac240.JPG

H-02.JPG

• Like 1

Mines the first one with the hair tie holding the stick into the ball socket.  I can't take a photo as I'm away from home for a few weeks and dont have it with me. 

• Like 1

Mine was the first one also and the screw wore through the nylon strapping.  I guess now I could have fixed it by getting some new nylon strapping but when I ordered a new one I got the solid fitting like you see in version 2.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Mine was the first one also and the screw wore through the nylon strapping.  I guess now I could have fixed it by getting some new nylon strapping but when I ordered a new one I got the solid fitting like you see in version 2.

And you did not have the problem with the D ring snapping out?