New Years Day Hunt Strikes Old Silver!!

15 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

+1 on that birdcage button. 👍 Great hunt! Good to see so many got out recently. You guys come back with some awesome finds. Hope Tom chips in. 

Thanks!  Some of these sites almost give the feel of your Colonial sites, minus all the coppers and GW buttons 🙂 

12 hours ago, UtahRich said:

Both the birdcage button and the 1 Reale are great finds.  Impressed big time by the birdcage condition. Like the first flat button as well.  Was trying to figure the writing on the back   FINE ?    

Thanks for the post and video.  Always enjoy a trip report. 

UtahRich

Thanks!  I didn't bag a Phoenix button on this hunt, so I'll have to suffer with the bird cage button 🙂  The back of that first flat button cleaned up a little and I can only make out the last letter on the first word and it's an "A" and then FINE 🤔

I'll try hitting the button in some hydrogen peroxide and see if the little band of crud over the word will release.

11 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great finds and glad to watch the digs.

Wish you more luck on your next outing.

Past few days have been cold and rainy here with a dusting of snow. Don't know if I will be able to get out for a hunt until it warms up.

Thanks!

A lot of our sites are weather dependent (cold/hot/snow/rain/etc).  Hopefully it warms up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Thanks!  I didn't bag a Phoenix button on this hunt, so I'll have to suffer with the bird cage button 🙂  The back of that first flat button cleaned up a little and I can only make out the last letter on the first word and it's an "A" and then FINE 🤔

I'll try hitting the button in some hydrogen peroxide and see if the little band of crud over the word will release.

That would be EXTRA FINE. 😀 They tended to embellish them a bit.

I'm out of likes, but want to say that your ground treats your finds much better! Chase gets the really fancy ones. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You guys' birdcage buttons are impressive, even your 'crushed' one, Tom.  It's amazing the conditions of both (as well as the 1825 Real).  How deep was the coin?  If I associated the hole with the coin on the video it looked quite deep.

That's as wet as I recall seeing your digs.  The sandiness of the soil really shows.  Hope all that California precip gets saved for where it's needed....

• Like 2

Nice finds Cal and Tom. How did the Legend perform with the 6" coil on these sites?? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

You guys' birdcage buttons are impressive, even your 'crushed' one, Tom.  It's amazing the conditions of both (as well as the 1825 Real).  How deep was the coin?  If I associated the hole with the coin on the video it looked quite deep.

That's as wet as I recall seeing your digs.  The sandiness of the soil really shows.  Hope all that California precip gets saved for where it's needed....

Thanks.  I'm actually starting to think that Tom's birdcage style button is not crushed, just a different style of button that split on the side.

The reale was deep.  The Garret pin-pointer is 9" long end to end, and there was easily another 2-3" of soil above it (you can see it in the video).  It wasn't a great signal on first pass, but aside from a random shotgun shell or rare pull-tab or can, everything's super old there, so anything aside from the iron floor, I check out.  Various angles, scrape top, investigate it to determine if I can coax out a good signal and this was one of those.  It was a faint deepie, bouncing between 29-31 on the EQX800 when doing the ML wiggle.  After a couple of shovel loads of soil, I reran the EQX over the hole, and it sounded amazing, pegging a TID of 31.  Still as deep as it was, I reminded myself it had a good chance of being a can or other anomaly, but it sure sounded sweet with a nice coin or button like zip-zip sound and feel.

I'm ready to go back, that sandy soil's great after some rain storms 🙂

• Like 2