Shaft(s) That Route Cables Internally

KurtInRI

Hi all,

(I apologize in advance if there is already post(s) re this. I haven't been able to find one.)

I live on a rocky island in New England (the shale at its end has been traced to west Africa). As such, damage to equipment is expected. That being said, I'm hoping to find a shaft for my Nox 800 that routes cables from the coil internally. Obviously, if there are multiple options, the lighter the better so long as the shaft is durable.

I could have sworn that I had come across at least one carbon fiber shaft that fir the bill when I first bought my Equinox ~1½ years back, but can't find them. Any help and guidance towards shaft(s) that fit the durable witj internally routed cable will be extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this post and advise me,

Kurt

Kurt --

I played with such a design a couple of years ago.  I prototyped it, but just wasn't pleased.  The bottom line is that I found the shaft to be too "thin," diameter-wise, for such a "cable inside-the-shaft" design to be effective.  Not only is the cable connector relatively large relative to the inside diameter of the lower rod, but -- the size/width of openings needed in the shaft in order to allow the cable connectors to enter and exit the shaft, result in too much of a "weak spot," in my opinion, at the location of the openings.  I even used engineering-grade plastic (Delrin) fittings at the locations of the cable openings, so as to make the openings in the plastic, and not the carbon tube itself, but the opening had to be so large, that the plastic -- despite its rigidity -- would "flex" a bit, given how large the opening was, thus reducing the structural rigidity of the fitting. 

The other issue, and it's not a minor one, is that the Equinox coil cable is not of the coiled/retractable type.  On the old Minelab Explorers, and then the E-Trac, and then the CTX -- all of which are "cable inside the shaft" models, they all utilize the coiled/retractable style of coil cable.  SO -- when you extend or shorten the lower rod length, the cable also shortens or extends.  However, with a "straight" cable, like on the Equinox, the cable tends to get "bunched up" inside, when you tried to install, and then shorten, the lower rod on my prototype -- i.e. the lower rod is prevented from sliding easily, especially when collapsing it for stowing/travel.

The other issue with a non-retractable coil cable, is that routing the cable straight up through the shaft results in several feet of extra "coil cable" after the cable exits the shaft near the control box.  This requires you to make many, many wraps of the coil cable around the shaft to take up the "slack" (sort of like some do on their Excaliburs).  

Anyway, the bottom line is that you need a much "stouter" shaft, at larger diameter, to effectively include openings to allow the cable to insert and exit, and to fit more easily inside.  And then, you really need one of those "coiled" coil cables, to do it effectively...

Steve

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 4 months later...

Something like the the Garrett ATX shaft is what I was hoping was available aftermarket. As you said straight cables will bunch and need a wider diameter. I haven't found anything.

What about someting like these coils wire sleeves? It may give you more protection against your sharp rocks. You could probably find even heavier duty cable sleeves from an electrical supply business or hardware store.

Snake Skins Detector Cable Sleeves

• Like 1

What may help if you do this and that’s run the cable on top of your shaft. Don’t start a wrap until near the detector controls. I do all my detectors like this just to get wiring as far away as I can from the coil.

Hope this helps !

Chuck 

PS I see so many people start wrapping the coil wire around the shaft right away and in my opinion that’s not the best thing to do.

Seems to me, an easy, lightweight, and inexpensive solution would be to put a piece of pipe insulation over the shaft.

I would be more worried about damaging the coil than the cable. I can't imagine a situation where the cable might get damaged unless you are swinging the shaft into the rocks.