First Hunt 2022, Ihp's And More Buttons

Really great hunting. Thanks.

Another fine hunt for you.

Glad to see some people out there when I am unable to get out of the house due to the weather.

Good luck on your next hunt.

What’s cool also is you don’t have to go  far for them either. I’ve had the Indians come in around 18 when I can see the screen through the glare...always thought they would be in the low 20s for some reason. 

Strick

• Like 1

No dropoff for you going from 2021 to 2022.  We usually have your weather a day before you (although the Atlantic affects yours) so I understand why you think it might be a week before you get out again.  (Tomorrow here is our best hope until the weekend so keep an eye on Wednesday.)  I predict an even more productive year for you.

12 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I got a 15/16, what usually means a button here. Imagine my surprise when I dug an 1883 IHP.

9 hours ago, strick said:

I’ve had the Indians come in around 18 when I can see the screen through the glare...always thought they would be in the low 20s for some reason.

I'm once again planning on ID'ing IHP's I have in my collection which haven't been in the ground.  Ditto early Lincolns.  My hypothesis has and continues to be that the chemicals in the ground are the biggest factor in where they ID.  When I was in SE PA on a hunt with dogodog it did seem that the Wheaties were hitting lower than in my S IN sites.  I wonder if the ground mineralization also affect the dTID's.  (If that's the case then checking them after they come out of the ground should easily show whether or not that is true.  I didn't do that.  :sad:)

I will be (in the next couple days) doing my 2021 wrapup and will be showing my lowest ever dTID IHP, which hit mostly 18 on the ML Eqx.  If it hadn't given a couple faint peeps at 20 (which is where my high tone started) I likely would never have noticed it.  I lowered my high tone starting bin to 19 after that (and have dug more corroded Zincolns but so far no more IHP's....)

F350P, where did that very crusty 1864/84 IHP come in on the dTID scale?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

F350P, where did that very crusty 1864/84 IHP come in on the dTID scale?

Hey GB,

The crusty one, which you can see by the photo is definitely an 1864 (fat) was a 14/15 in air and in the ground. Odd. The 1883 is an 18/19 out of the ground but the hole filled in with water after I dug it, I distinctly remember a 15/16, what most of the copper buttons came in as.20220103_163322.thumb.jpg.89fbc8a3e9363ae2cd76f6bd2e7c3e78.jpg

It will be a week because we got 4" of snow today, and I have to take my dog to the groomer (an all day affair) on Wednesday, when it will be 52 and sunny. 🤣 20220103_152142.thumb.jpg.0b2f956ae1a1988c721f7a9c64d910f6.jpg

• Like 2

Nice finds there 350, You know how you are with the rosie thing I'm that way with IH's. I've been on a drought with those dreaded beautiful coins. I swear where I live they held onto them for dear life, I'll find barber silver before IH's. That buck shot/ball is interesting. I have found some balls that were almost pearlescent overall but not in a faceted way. that's a really nice find. I think depending the soil it can make the lead rust turn into a shiny kinda calcified surface. look into finding a way to preserve that patina because that's a one in a million if it's a regular buck or ball.

16 minutes ago, dogodog said:

Nice finds there 350, You know how you are with the rosie thing I'm that way with IH's. I've been on a drought with those dreaded beautiful coins. I swear where I live they held onto them for dear life, I'll find barber silver before IH's. That buck shot/ball is interesting. I have found some balls that were almost pearlescent overall but not in a faceted way. that's a really nice find. I think depending the soil it can make the lead rust turn into a shiny kinda calcified surface. look into finding a way to preserve that patina because that's a one in a million if it's a regular buck or ball.

Oh yeah, I find tons of lead "Buckys"  both old and new. 😀 Check out my trash when I post it, don't want to miss those Tombacs.

Do they make sintered stainless buckshot? The two balls were in the ground for a long time. I don't hunt, so I don't know the types of shot. I do have a 12ga, but it's for another reason 🙄 I do know military breaching rounds are steel in a binder.

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

The crusty one, which you can see by the photo is definitely an 1864 (fat) was a 14/15 in air and in the ground. Odd. The 1883 is an 18/19 out of the ground but the hole filled in with water after I dug it...

1864 was the transition year between the earlier 12% Ni, 88% Cu (which looked kinda white, or light gray) and the 95% Cu, 5% {Ti+Zn} bronze cents -- both versions had 1864 dates.  I recall 'fatty' refers specifically to the nickel version which is consistent with your dTID's.

• Like 1