First Hunt 2022, Ihp's And More Buttons

6 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

1864 was the transition year between the earlier 12% Ni, 88% Cu (which looked kinda white, or light gray) and the 95% Cu, 5% {Ti+Zn} bronze cents -- both versions had 1864 dates.  I recall 'fatty' refers specifically to the nickel version which is consistent with your dTID's.

The nickel content fits in with the 1864 being crusty and red rather than green, more like the V nickels I've found. 👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Some very interesting finds, well done!

Thanks Cap'n.

Most of this stuff was found while scouting around, I think the landowner doesn't know everything that occurred in this huge area. I haven't got near the house yet, that was hit by other detectorists in the past. What Chase and I are finding indicates they were focused mostly on the house. 🙂 Good thing!

• Like 1

Nice you got out. 8 inches and ice here. Lost power for 2 days but all is well now.

• Sad 1

Some nice early buttons - early to mid 1800's. I don't know why the '83 Indian read so low, all i can think of is that it was very close to iron and that would drop the numbers a bit. Out of ground it should read proper. The fattie Indian almost looks like 1862 to me, but that's looking at a picture, so don't pay any attention to me 😄 Nice little spot you found in that field.

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2022 at 2:58 PM, F350Platinum said:

Oh yeah, I find tons of lead "Buckys"  both old and new. 😀 Check out my trash when I post it, don't want to miss those Tombacs.

Do they make sintered stainless buckshot? The two balls were in the ground for a long time. I don't hunt, so I don't know the types of shot. I do have a 12ga, but it's for another reason 🙄 I do know military breaching rounds are steel in a binder.

I don't "think" anyone uses stainless buckshot, even less likely sintered.  But, I only think that, I don't know it for fact.  I use pure tungsten shot, which is shiny like stainless, but that doesn't look like tungsten.  There are varieties of alloyed heavier than lead pellets which are sintered, too, but that doesn't look like any of them I've ever seen either.

Nickel plated lead buckshot is common.  Ringing 10-11, that sounds possibly lead too.

If, that's buckshot, my wild theory on the facets, would be a duplex load of buck and much smaller shot pellets.  Buckshot showing deformation from being surround by smaller pellets in the payload.  That's a lot of maybes strung together though, I wouldn't necessarily place any bets on my own theory 😁.

- Dave

• Like 1