Xp Deus 2 -using The Antenna For Salt Water Diving /wading

Lance

I am ready to order the XP, but I am  holding back until I can see some reviews on how the detector performs when using the antenna  in salt water, when diving. Have come across some fresh water diving reviews but nothing on saltwater dives as yet. Wondering if that antenna will transmit effectively when the detector is totally submerged in a salt water environment

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Xp Deus 2 -using The Antenna For Salt Water Diving /wading

I seen a guy using one in the mediterranean ..waist to just about chest deep. I looked it up and he was between Venice and San Marino. He said all way fine but you could not hear the audio to confirm. Keep us informed if you hear anything. One of my worries is the coil has a battery, but the machine does have the 5 year warranty.

2 hours ago, Lance said:

I am ready to order the XP, but I am  holding back until I can see some reviews on how the detector performs when using the antenna  in salt water, when diving. Have come across some fresh water diving reviews but nothing on saltwater dives as yet. Wondering if that antenna will transmit effectively when the detector is totally submerged in a salt water environment

For this purpose, salt water or fresh water has no effect. It's not conducting AC or DC electrial current or subject to grounding effects by conductive salt water..  It is just providing a medium for coupling and propagating near field RF radio waves via a Faraday shielded coax from the coil to the remote, so the water conductivity has zero effect.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Forum member Erik uses his D2 diving in salt water. Here is a link to a post he made about his impressions of the D2 and shows some videos diving with it. HTH.

I've had mine completely submerged in fresh and knee deep in the salt surf and have had zero issues. Just make sure you thoroughly rinse everything after each use and you should be fine.

Also, Michael Oliver has a youtube jewelry recovery site and he has shown many vids of him with the D2 in salt fully submerged. I don't think he's reported any problems. 

• Like 1

It works perfectly, it doesn't matter if it's salt water or fresh water.  Any type of coax cable is fine for this purpose.  There is no need to worry about this.  I only snorkel with it, but I don't think it would work any differently for deeper dives.

• Like 1